Speedstream 5100 DSL Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedstream 5100 DSL Modem

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to open the case on this modem with destroying it.

Q: anybody know how its done, safely?

I'm thinking this one has bad caps.
    My internet service is spotty at 6mb due to distance from the central office.
    I do get 5.1 most of the team, but it craps out in the evenings.

I switched out the modem with a 4100 model, and ran a direct cable from the MPOE to my router. Of course, it ran fine at 5.1 mb all night.

I'm still thinking the 5100 needs a recap, but cannot figure out how to open it without destroying the case.

Re: Speedstream 5100 DSL Modem

I get to answer my own question:

There is a single screw under the label on the back of the modem.
    There are six push-catches on the back cover.
    These are at each of the four corners. Push them in to unlatch the corner.

Rear screw location
    Six push-in latch locations
    General board layout
    Other images are numbered -01 thru -16 on this page. All are HiRes.

The board has two 18x18mm 2200/25v fattie caps H(M).
    Five 8x11.5mm 1000/6.3v, and one 6.5x11.5mm 100/25v. K(M).
    All are G-Luxon, none appear bulged or damaged.

This unit runs pretty warm, probably in the 18x18 area near the 12v power input. Perhaps a forced cooling setup might be worth building for this.

Comment

i have tried to open mine with no success-yeah these do warm up a bit. im using a half-torn-apart 2wire (dont ask)...
      ps: those attached pics are HUGE!

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin View Post
        All are G-Luxon, none appear bulged or damaged.

This unit runs pretty warm, probably in the 18x18 area near the 12v power input.
        Caps can also dry out from heat. If you have a multimeter with a capacitance check, see if they are out of uF spec?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Wow that's a strange design my Motorola Surfboard from 2002 has a built in switching supply.

I see no reason for external warts on a cable modem. Especially since switchers are so cheap and can provide well regulated DC to this crucial network device.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-07-2010, 04:09 PM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Quite a difference between A02 and A08. A08 looks a lot more expensive to manufacture.

Speedstream 5100 Part Number 060-E142-A02 030-5142-A02 3015-001681 0441
            C8: Panasonic 1000uf 6.3v NHG 8x12 Working Voltage WV=1.5v
            C9: Panasonic 1000uf 6.3v NHG 8x12 WV=3.2v
            C11: G-Luxon 100uf 25v SM 6.5x12 WV=11.75v
            C105: Panasonic 1000uf 6.3v NHG 8x12 WV=3.3v
            C114: G-Luxon 100uf 25v SM 6.5x12 WV=2.55v
            near C77: Panasonic 1000uf 6.3v NHG 8x12 WV=3.3v
            C112: G-Luxon 100uf 25v SM 6.5x12 WV=transformer voltage
            C89: G-Luxon 2200uf 25v SM 18x18 WV=transformer voltage

Q6: IRF7606PbF MOSFET Micro8
            U7: TL5001AC PWM Controller
            U6: LM339M
            U4: TNETD7301GDU TI-AR7 ADSL to Ethernet CPU
            U8: Kendin KS8712B Ethernet Transceiver

Nothing to fix here. Move along!
            Attached Files
            sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              those attached pics are HUGE!
              Yes, mine are always shot in hires for those who want to zoom in.
              I never post photos, only links to photos.

This group was annoying to shoot.
              It was a quickie job using a high intensity desktop lap with the Nikon on a tripod. The exposures were so long, I still got shake which you can see in the enlarged images. Certainly not my best work.

If you have a multimeter with a capacitance check, see if they are out of uF spec?
              I have an ancient 80's Fluke DVM, dunno if it has capacitance check or not.
              I recapped all the 1000/6.3 with MCZ 1000/10v. The operating voltage notes above were not known to me until after recapping, so the 10v capacity is wasted.

I'm convinced the nightly slowdown is heavy traffic at AT&T, and not my modem.

Comment

Do you still have this modem? I have one that a friend replaced because his internet kept dropping. I've been thinking of doing a polymer recap on it to see how it reacts. But I thought I read these are only good for up to 3mbps. He was getting about 2.6 on speed test.
                Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Is it cold in the evenings? I had a similar problem caused by thermal contraction of wires (their side). Wires contract in the cold, pull apart ever so slightly...)

Comment

Well, the problem disappeared immediately after he replaced the modem so sumfin wuzup with this little guy. I just flattened the TI-AR7 down to the core in preparation for a heatsink. A little Arctic Silver and that should help with the heat.

Comment

Here's a pic of the TI processor after I took it down for a while with a block and 240-grit... it was taking forever and after a while longer I just stopped because I was afraid of going through to the core. So it did get flatter, but there was still a spot of untouched, black area in the center. Oh well, it will cool more than it was ever intended to with a heatsink, now.

Comment

Working...
                      X