Panasonic DVD recorder shutting down on disc spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic DVD recorder shutting down on disc spinning

In a friend's Panasonic DVD recorder (I forgot the model, around 2004), the disc would spin up before shutting down and starting up again. When this happens, the voltages from the power supply disappear. The player works OK when it has warmed up, but about a week later, the same problem happened again, which I suspected a thermal problem.

I then used a hairdryer to heat up some of the components. It had no effect, so I suspected there was an overcurrent being detected in the spindle motor.

When it was sent into a repair shop, they found that the SMPS controller (STR-G6351) was faulty. So I was apparently right about some sort of overcurrent problem. But the SMPS controller was incorrectly sensing an overload in any case, even though all other components were good . I could have tried freezer spray on it, but the problem is now fixed.

(Before I used the hairdryer on it, the power supply was ticking until it turned on - the repair shop was right about the SMPS controller!)
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Panasonic DVD recorder shutting down on disc spinning

sounds like a bad lytic.
    bad ones often work better after warm up.
    most str chips i see bad are shorted.

Comment

This sounds almost exactly like the problem I had with my old VCR. After pressing power on, it would power off 1 second later. Eventually, if you keep pressing the power button, it stays on... but needs an extra 5 minutes to 'warm up' before it outputs a signal!

Finally it died completely - I opened it up and found what appeared to be a bulged Panasonic FC. Proof that even 'good' caps can go bad sometimes...

Open up the machine and see if there are any bulged or vented caps. If so, other components may already have suffered permanent damage.
      You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

As I said earlier, there are no bulging or leaking capacitors in this unit (mainly KY series in the power supply).
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
        X