Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directly replacing NiMh cells with Li-Ion cells - bad idea ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Directly replacing NiMh cells with Li-Ion cells - bad idea ?

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Currently I just use my power supply to power it if I need to use it.
    Yeah, a friend of mine did this with an ATX supply
    Wattevah...

Comment

Vac works once again with the LiIon "mod" and I have mixed feelings: first of all, he's tested it under light load conditions all this time. Once you activate those roller brushes and they start dragging along the ground, I can imagine that causes additional load which may be detrimental to the cells. Overdischarge could be handled by the IC after all, despite the chemistry being different.
      Second, the charging: as previously discussed, not sure if the IC that's in there is "tuned" for LiIon cells - different current, different voltages....all sorts of problems, so I definitely wouldn't sleep soundly after doing such a mod for a client and charging for it...
      Wattevah...

Comment

there may not be discharge protection - ni-mh dont need it.
        you can just run them into the ground and charge them just fine after.

btw, do you have a DC clamp meter??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          btw, do you have a DC clamp meter??
          Aye. An UniT UT-210e. He's packed it back up unfortunately, so measuring stuff is no longer an option at this point I'm afraid...
          Wattevah...

Comment

it will probably be back!
            (hopefully not chared and in an "evidence" bag!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
              Odyssey more like
              Glad you're having fun. I sure am (I'm such an ass, aren't I ?).
              Well, yes and no (to all that). I mean, I would have probably done the same too, up to a point. But if I see someone is doing something stupid, I'd always offer to lend them a hand, even if it's likely to backfire on me (as in, the other person get grumpy about it, because they thought you are insulting their "intelligence". ). In any case, I would probably walk to the guy and jokingly throw a, "are you still working on this piece of crap"... then just "lightly" suggest that IKEA might have the real proper parts he needs to fix this and just get it done.

Originally posted by Dannyx
              It's a good thing I had it round the shop, even in this semi-functional form, because it enabled me to assess its suction power, which is certainly not going to be on-par with a canister or mains powered vac, but still satisfactory for the aforementioned endeavors.
              Yeah, IDK... I personally hate battery-operated "power" tools and appliances. I consider them pretty much "disposable". The only batt-operated power tool I have is a hand drill / screw driver, and it's already been "converted" (more like kludged / jury-rigged) to run off an Xbox 360 PSU. It's kind of weak and slow compared to my corded drills so I rarely use it. But sometimes when I don't feel like walking to the garage to get my corded drills and need to drill into something thin / soft, the "Xbox 360 drill" (as I call it now ) does the job OK.

Originally posted by stj
              there may not be discharge protection - ni-mh dont need it.
              you can just run them into the ground and charge them just fine after.
              Same with Ni-Cd.
              Only problem with deep-discharging Ni-Cd and Ni-MH packs with series cells is some cells will discharge before others... and the ones that do could be forced to "reverse-charge" from still somewhat-charged cells. Neither Ni-MH nor Ni-Cd cells like this, so they'll get trashed over time. However, if you take the individual cells and deep-discharge them, you can keep them stored like that for years (and in fact is the preferred method for them, as it prevents dendrite growth).

Originally posted by stj
              it will probably be back!
              LOL Very likely, yes.
              Just like that song:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjMffHG1V_Q

Speaking of which... Danny, I think you should play that for your colleague while he's fixing the vacuum... see if he gets any hints.

P.S. I think I'm a bigger ass than you, aren't I? Or maybe we are just "disrespectful youth" as your OG colleague would say about us anyways.
              Last edited by momaka; 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I wonder how much longer NiCd/NiMH packs would last if there was an overcharge/overdischarge controller ... now that's a thought...

Comment

I find it interesting that the same mod he attempted on a similar vac is still working...or at least it hasn't returned. I can't tell if that's because the chap simply didn't use it or they simply got lucky...both of them
                  Wattevah...

Comment

or he died in his sleep from smoke inhalation!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      or he died in his sleep from smoke inhalation!!!
                      No police around here yet
                      Wattevah...

Comment

Maybe the batteries burned so bad there was no evidence left of what caused the fire?

Comment

Vac's still in the shop BTW, all packed up and ready to go. "Mr. Battery" called the client to come pick it up, but he hasn't showed up so far. Guess the chap is too afraid something might go pop and doesn't want to pick it up again LOL Occasionally "Mr. Battery" here gives it a whirl, sucks up some stuff and plugs it back in to keep it all nice and topped up and I'm like talking to those cells "hang in there, he'll relent soon enough"
                          Wattevah...

Comment

So the company you work for will be reliable if something goes wrong?
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                              So the company you work for will be reliable if something goes wrong?
                              Of course - there's a 3 month warranty period for all repairs, which makes perfect sense from the client's perspective (it's also in the law here AFAIK), but it can become problematic for the company if doing semi-functional repairs like these where something is bound to go wrong...
                              Wattevah...

Comment

So the company gives freedom to do what ever he wants even it is dangerous.
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

It's assumed that "he know what he's doing" given that's what he's employed for. There's no real way management can actually gauge a technician's performance and/or overall skills and knowledge, other than keeping a close eye on the service tickets they receive, how they go around handling them and how many they've actually successfully fixed.
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

maybe the vac owner read this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                                      Vac's still in the shop BTW, all packed up and ready to go. "Mr. Battery" called the client to come pick it up, but he hasn't showed up so far. Guess the chap is too afraid something might go pop and doesn't want to pick it up again LOL
                                      Either that or the fact that it's been so long has perhaps made the owner realize they don't need this vac... or they already bought another one and don't want to come pickup this one because they don't want to pay the service fee (after all, I suppose you charge the customer after the item is fixed, correct?) In this last case, your friend, "Mr. Battery" will have a neat little vac to clean his bench... until it burns down the shop anyways... or the batteries die again.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        (after all, I suppose you charge the customer after the item is fixed, correct?)
                                        Yes, but in this case it's considered to be under warranty since the first set of batteries went kaput last time, so I don't think he'll be charged anything extra. I also just recently learned that it's not a client per-se, but rather another employee from a different department who asked him to take a look at this vacuum, so the rules are more relaxed here as far as fiances go at least...we'll see. No grudges against him - it's all a learning experience

You were right: I'm having just a little bit too much fun with this thread
                                        Wattevah...

Comment

Well, I picked up another junk handheld vacuum cleaner for a buck. I grabbed it because it seems to still be spinning, and said "lithium 3.6V" ... Jackpot, it might actually match the specifications I need for the one I have.

I opened it up, and it appears to have a similar wiring diagram...battery straight to the switch and motor. It looks like it has a single small circuit board in it, wonderful, it's got to be a protection/charger board. Inspecting it closer...weird, no big FET on it? This thing needs to withstand 10A and no SOT-23 will do it, must at least be a D-PAK?

Oh well, so I pulled the battery and the circuit board and measured the voltage. It was down to 3V, which is probably still fine. Supposedly it's a 1.5Ah cell, and it says 3.6V, and appears to also be rated for 5.4Wh - so this is probably a lithium ion manganese cell versus a cobalt or iron phosphate cell. So I stuck it on an external charger bypassing the board, and see how it goes... up in flames maybe? Hopefully not, I still need to figure out how to charge this thing.

Well why not keep this vacuum and ditch my old one? The one I have is a wet/dry unit, and this one has a funky charger connector... Combine and get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                                          X