RCA RTU4853 - wonky video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCA RTU4853 - wonky video

So I think I already know the answer to this, but I thought I'd get some opinions just in case.

After about 10-15 mins the picture on my TV goes crazy. First it goes blank for a few seconds, then comes back on flashing and stuttering with various colors and lines. The sound still works while it's doing this.

If I shut the tv off and turn it back on, it goes back to normal, but does the same thing again.

Here is a video of it:
    https://youtu.be/dImuQW08EYg

I forgot which board I would need and went ahead and bought a t-con board.. which I've now realized was a waste of money, because this is almost certainly a main board issue, am I right to assume this?

I've only been able to find one so far, and its $125.

Re: RCA RTU4853 - wonky video

Please don't waste money for a mainboard, the pertinent area is tcon/panel. I suspect you bought a bad TCON, if you can, try a reflow on the main chip on the tcon, just to make sure is it, if yes then try to buy a tcon from a broken panel tv.

Comment

I havent gotten the tcon board yet, its still on it's way. I hope that is the issue, that would be a relief considering g the board only cost me $30.

Comment

Looks like a bad T-CON Bd to me, as well.

Comment

I've seen a number of people say bad tcons only cause vertical lines, so this is good news if I did order the right part. Its out for delivery today, so I'll install it tonight and see if the problems fixed.

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Actually, I didn't want to scare you but a bad Panel can also cause these symptoms.

Comment

lol, well that would suck. Hopefully that's not the issue. Csnt really afford to be throwing money away. I didn't mention it in my original post, but I just bought this used from someone who said it worked fine.

Comment

Indeed and there is also a horizontal line in the video. ( 9secs ).
                So i hope your are lucky but i think this might be a tab bonding problem.

What happens when you squeeze the panel top left? I did this on philips tv's that had the same problem.
                When the fault occurs try to squeeze in the bezel itself and see if you notice any changes.
                I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Ok I'll try that.

Comment

I googled your problem and saw that you posted on a different forum also. You bought this tv second hand right? So the owner did not tell you this problem and you probably didnt watch it for over 10 mins?
                    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Correct.

I posted here because I'd figure I'd get more help. Been so helpful feedback so far.

I bought it for cheap, so it's not a big loss, but still disappointing if I can't fix it, and it's no fun throwing money away either.

Comment

I agree , happened to me also.
                        This is the main reason i dont buy LED tv's because they simply dont last long. Unless you got a very well build tv with good cooling and the backlights at 50/60%.

Did you try the squeezing trick? You could remove the backcover and poke around the lcd section. ( tabs ).
                        Did you check the connectors going to the panel/t-con ?

Comment

Havent had a chance yet, still at work. I'll check it out this evening.

Comment

Well, it's been on for a couple hours now, and so far the display only went dark for about 10 sec, roughly 15 mins in, then has been fine since.

I dont get it. Is there any chance sharing the power source with a window AC unit (5000btu) cause it to do that? Right now its turned off.

Comment

Hmm it could be that its interfering with the screen. You could test it by turning the tv on in a different room and see what happens.

Comment

Well so far it hasn't done it again. I've even tried using it while running the AC and it's still fine. Really strange.

Comment

Well, it did it again.

So I swapped out the tcon board with the replacement, and this is what it looks like now (1st pic).

The boards have the same model number, yet the replacement has an extra connector. Could that be the problem?

My board is the 2nd pic, the replacement is the 3rd.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Evidently the boards are not compatible, the chip near the connector that is present only in one is probably an eeprom with important data on it. You must match also part of the code on the sticker.

Comment

The number on the sticker is what you should have looked for.
                                      Your original No. is LMC480FN02-W
                                      The No. on the part you bought is LMC480FN04
                                      This is the wrong board the Board No. FU11BPCMTA3V0.1 is not the number that should have been used.

Comment

Ok, the one I bought only listed the board no. so I thought that's what I had to match it to. Fortunately, I got a refund.

I have found one in the UK, this one here: https://spares2repair.co.uk/hitachi-...u11bpcmta3v0.1

It shows it for a different TV, however both numbers match, so I ordered one. Around $50CDN shipped, which about the most I wanted to spend on one, so that's good.

I'll post an update once it's arrived and I've had a chance to test it out.

Thanks for all your help!
                                        Last edited by MadeJust; 07-25-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X