No HDMI input detected on Philips 42pfl6007h/12 TV after thunderstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No HDMI input detected on Philips 42pfl6007h/12 TV after thunderstorm

Hi, my tv was struck by lightning and has suffered some damage, It has lost backlight power which I believe is due to a faulty PSU (I'll be replacing it in the future) but I've also lost all video output on the HDMI ports. I've checked the inside of the tv and there appears to be no damage and so I followed the traces from the HDMI ports to a chip which I have circled in the below image

the chips has this number on it - SIL 9387. Looking up the datasheet for the chip I found that one of the pins should output 3.3v (Images below) however it does not and only contains around 0.1v when tv is on, does this mean that the chip is bad and that I've found the problem? Extra note: The chip gets noticeably hotter than the other chips however I'm not sure if this is normal (Cpu gets quite hot to the point where I can't touch it's heatsink for more than a few seconds but I assume this is normal as it is working fine) I'm not very good at diagnosing electronics so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: No HDMI input detected on Philips 42pfl6007h/12 TV after thunderstorm

For your reference; you can download the service manual for your TV-model from this page:
    https://www.electronica-pt.com/esque...ileinfo/22399/

If you unplug the power and measure resistance between GND and each of the VCC pins and each of the HDMI-signal pins one by one, what values do you read?
    If you get something close to zero or just a handful of Ohms, then there appears to be a short circuit.

If you discover short circuits and you have a hot air station, perhaps you can take the chip off and repeat the measurements on the pads where the chip was.
    If the short circuits are gone now, maybe you'll get lucky by replacing the chip.

The chip seems to be available on both AliExpress and eBay:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...9387actuc.html
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=SIL9387ACTUC

Here's a repair-video where lightning has killed the HDMI-inputs on a TV, and it gets repaired by replacing the HDMI-controller chip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqotKeZuMLM

Comment

Thank you for the info and the video, I'll try to borrow a hot air station and attempt to remove the chip. Oh and could you please clarify which are the HDMI-signal pins as I'm not very familiar with HDMI controller chips and the like. Thanks again!

Comment

So, I tested the vcc pins on the chip and they seem to have a high resistance. One pin has over a megaohm and the other has around 10kohm. To me it seems like the chip isn't shorted. I'm not sure where to proceed from now

Comment

Components usually fail open not short when exposed to over voltage/current.
          I'd just replace the HDMI IC.

Comment

Listen to the veteran, he's seen many more patients.

Comment

Usually HDMI input IC (not output..) breaks on a lightning surge, i don't know if you are probing it well, i guess not, if it warm up is mandatory that it has an internal short that involves power line, so replacing the chip can solve the history but be aware that a qfn soldering like that is enough painful for a newbie...
              i, with several smd works back, got mad with the same chip..
              Last edited by Davi.p; 08-01-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Thank you all!!

I've ordered a replacement chip and I'll attempt to replace it. In the meantime I'll try to practice my SMD soldering

Comment

Working...
                X