Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are RAM chips Interchangable?

Hello.
    I found that i have some 4GB DDR3 modules that are faulty, but it have shorted memory chips/one or two on module/. It gets really hot when pluged in and start. So i think if this chips from different manufacturers are interchangable. layout looks the same

Re: Are RAM chips Interchangable?

No. Only if you have same memory chip, same characteristics.

Comment

so chip must be from same manufacturer, series?

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
        so chip must be from same manufacturer, series?
        There are so many different factors, and finding a same equivalent from different manufacturer is challenging in IMO.

Comment

and from same manufacturer? like from 2Gb modules

Comment

and from same manufacturer? like from 2Gb modules
            you can't just simply put any RAM ic.

https://www.micron.com/products/dram...j4208efbg-gn-f

https://www.micron.com/products/dram...m/part-catalog

I doubt, you would find the same exact chip from different brand. Working exactly the same.
            Last edited by mosfetratus; 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

offcourse i know it must have same parameters. but if the layout, capacity, speed and mumber of cips on module is the same, that it can work

like i have two 4gb modules from different manufacturers, but both same speed, same clocking, same 2Rx8 layout, it can be interchanged?
              Last edited by ktmmotocross; 02-17-2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

No prediction can be made before actual replacement. Consider two desktop RAMs belonging to different manufacturers with the same clock/speed specifications. If I use them both on my desktop, it is possible that the RAM controller in CPU drop the working frequency. it is also possible that the two RAMs match each other and work perfectly. it is also possible that the RAM controller in CPU become unable to use the dual-channel mode.
                Such things may be possible. Since we have got no experience in RAM design/repair, we cannot predict what will happen exactly. But we can expect they may work at some frequency.
                Last edited by caspian; 02-17-2019, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Caspian and Mosfetratus are both 100% correct with their assessment of your hypothetical ram repair!

How do you know exactly that the ram ic's are faulty? It could be smd caps that have turned leaky or a few smd resisters that have turned into jumpers.
                  You mentioned that 2 different modules could operate side by side with no trouble, but if you look closely at those modules, you see that in order to archive this combined cooperation, that the micro traces, capacitor as well as resister values are completely different.
                  For years I have replaced ic's and have had success but you have to be totally sure that your replacement ic has the exact pin out and specifications as the original. I haven't replaced one yet that I didn't have to modify components around it such as, values of caps, resisters, crystals or something.
                  My recommendation is unless you have a complete understanding, and an oscilloscope that I wouldn't attempt it. It is much cheaper to just purchase the memory you are having trouble with. Maybe later you'll come across another ram module that has the exact same ic's then you can attempt such a switch, even so, you could get a Hynix chip made 2 years ago and then one made today and they will have completely diff. values. Most chips are picked to match each other as close as possible by automated quality control equipment, and routed to a spooler. Then spools are sent to a ram module manufacturing dept. Didn't intend on writing a book but wanted you to understand that there's much more to switching components, it not like swapping PSU's. Hope this helps some.

Comment

btw, i had 2 pcs 4gb pc3-l module with same symptoms and a particular chip was heating-i went ahead and replaced that chip from other defective ram(it was same 4gb pc3-L,same manufacturere,same chip) and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                      btw, i had 2 pcs 4gb pc3-l module with same symptoms and a particular chip was heating-i went ahead and replaced that chip from other defective ram(it was same 4gb pc3-L,same manufacturere,same chip) and it worked.
                      Thats exactly what i asked
                      Did have that modules same timing?
                      Last edited by ktmmotocross; 02-19-2019, 03:38 AM.

Comment

i think that you will have no problems if you put chips with same timing or faster (thay should be downclocked in theory) but its best to put same chips from same manufacturer.
                        im in process of trying that in video card (vintage sdr and ddr1 graphic cards) in order to get better performance/overclock... but i havent tried yet... no time...
                        Im Back... sort of...

Comment

I have a ram module, that doesn't work, but not heating up. Could it be eeprom is damaged?

Comment

Thats exactly what i asked
                            Did have that modules same timing?
                            yes

Comment

Working...
                            X