• Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Six (Intel & Samsung) 256GB SSDs

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
      Six (Intel & Samsung) 256GB SSDs
      Lucky bastard... *looks at tiny 120gb unit in laptop, feels sad and poor* Good score.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        Lucky bastard... *looks at tiny 120gb unit in laptop, feels sad and poor* Good score.
        I rarely use any of my laptops so they're not worth much to me. Instead, I'll use them as "party favors" (I'm headed out to an extended off-site with colleagues). They'll fit nicely in my carry-on. "Share the wealth"

Comment

The 2TB drive: how's SMART looking?
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

The "Supermicro Tree" dropped 2x brand new X7DAL's and 1x X6DAL on me. This makes 3 X7DAL's they've given me. I've never messed with the X6DAL, I'll have to research what chipset it is...maybe more paxvilles will find homes.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

LUCKY! Where do you get all of this stuff!?
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                I rarely use any of my laptops so they're not worth much to me. Instead, I'll use them as "party favors" (I'm headed out to an extended off-site with colleagues). They'll fit nicely in my carry-on. "Share the wealth"
                I'll need to keep my eyes open then for a deal like you found... all of my laptops are spinners minus my nicest one with has a dualbooted peanut sized 120gb drive. Last I looked intel ones still sold for a pretty penny even when used .
                sigpic

Comment

Bit quite today but got

3 x PS3 Slims (160GB x2 & 320GB) Console
                  2 x Controllers
                  5 x Games

All for £45

Got two them which were console only for £5 each and the otehr a sull bundle for £35

2 of them working (one of the £5 ones working)

The 320GB £5 one has the turn off as soon as you power it up issue which is a simple enough PSU issue either with connection or with adjusting pots.

So not bad at at all works out at £15 per console.

Also got some wharfedale diamond 7.1 bookshelf speakers for £5

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                    Got some cracking deals today at carboot sale. A lot of computer gear, all rma returns.

Which car boot, always on the look out for new car boots

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      The "Supermicro Tree" dropped 2x brand new X7DAL's and 1x X6DAL on me. This makes 3 X7DAL's they've given me. I've never messed with the X6DAL, I'll have to research what chipset it is...maybe more paxvilles will find homes.
                      Should be the same as the other irwindale boards we have. That chipset came in both DDR and DDR2 boards. The DDR version only can do 333 but can do more RAM (8x 4GB, good luck finding the modules). IIRC the X6DAL only had a -G variant (1 NIC,, DDR) and no -G2 variant (2 NIC, DDR2).
                      sigpic

Comment

Road side garbage pickup find of the year for me MacBook Pro 13" 2011. It was in the rain but the angle it was on it didn't get any water in it thankfully, it runs, only thing was the optical drive didn't read discs (replaced with a spare I had) and both USB ports didn't recognize any device, I recently fixed it with help from badcaps, both USB data line filters were faulty (fixed from a donor board) now she runs great with a 250GB SSD split half n' half with OSX High Sierra and Windows 8.1

That last pic keeps unloading upside down
                        Attached Files

Comment

More free road side garbage pickup, working HP workstation with an intel Xeon (not sure which one), dual CPU sockets, Nvidia Quadro and I think 8GB ram (4x 2GB) damaged Win XP install or faulty boot drive, they removed the PSU however it was sitting next to it and it works fine. Next a perfectly working intel 530 480GB SSD, the things people throw out!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Johndill; 05-05-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

^ You are one lucky bastard. Do you live in rich area or something?
                            sigpic

Comment

PlayStation 4 white model 1200 - $80AUD - fried cockroach PSU - 2x controllers
                              PlayStation 4 Black model 1100 - $40AUD - failing HDD

For the white PS4 I made a molex PSU adapter from the dead PSU casing and it works great (to test the system worked before ordering a replacement PSU)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                ^ You are one lucky bastard. Do you live in rich area or something?
                                It's a large spread out area with a well populated mix of society levels Each have their own level/type of items
                                Last edited by Johndill; 05-05-2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

so you cruise it in an old v8 with open headers and a blower sticking thru the hood?

Comment

Originally posted by Johndill View Post
                                    It's a large spread out area with a well populated mix of society levels Each have their own level/type of items
                                    Dumpster diving in the richest postal codes is likely to yield some good scores.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So it's garbage month where i live so that means i'm going to be finding a bunch of random free stuff on the side of the road over the next few weeks.

Here is some stuff i found so far........
                                      1 APS UPS, I don't remember what model it is nor have i tested it yet.
                                      1 Dell LCD Monitor, someone removed the sticker on it with all of the info but the LCD does work.
                                      And 1 PowerSpec PC, I have not tested it yet because both the power supply (some FSP unit) and the motherboard are covered in dead capacitors.

Here are some specs of the PC....................
                                      The motherboard is an ECS mcp68m-m2 with about 4GB of DDR2 RAM.
                                      The Hard Drive is a WD Raptor 36.7GB HDD.
                                      The PC has one DVD/CD drive and one floppy drive.
                                      The power supply is an FSP300-60BTV 300w PSU (the power supply appears to not be original to this PC).
                                      Last edited by RukyCon; 05-08-2018, 04:59 AM.
                                      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Got some freebies:

2x Gigabyte GV-NX84G256H - one dead, one had artefacts but now works
                                        1x WDC WD1600AVJS SATA HDD
                                        and a PC with:

ECS Geforce7050M-M (AM2)
                                        AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
                                        A-Line PX-450 "450W" PSU (K-Mex's POS line of units)
                                        Deer "TAC" case (strange how they paired a Deer case with a K-Mex unit.)
                                        H-L DVD-RW GSA-H58N
                                        1GB DDR2
                                        Hitachi 160GB SATA HDD

Tossed the PSU because it was a piece of crap and same route went the front panel of the case, in its place sitting a white JNC RJA-52 front panel.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

air

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X