110v Xbox PSU into 240v - repair suggestions/ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

110v Xbox PSU into 240v - repair suggestions/ideas please

A friend of mine is asking me if I can take a look at his Xbox PSU... It's the USA version and was plugged into 240v here accidentally, normally he was using a step-down transformer but someone forgot to use it

I'm wondering if it's worth it - and in what direction I should start etc if I do try. It looks like these PSU are very similar to PC PSU, since it powers similar components.

What parts are likely to have blown due to this?
    Is it likely that other parts (mainboard, drives etc) would be damaged?

Also, if repaired, would it be easy to modify it to run on 240v?

If I am correct the PC PSU is for 240v by design and runs as a voltage doubler when set to 110v

I notice the PCB from this post has the 240v option screened on... so the design must be similar?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3323

Either way, that's not too big a deal if it's too hard to do, but I thought it may be a sensible thing to do, to prevent any future accident
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: 110v Xbox PSU into 240v - repair suggestions/ideas please

Usually the primary capacitors, the MOV, bridge rectifier and may be the chopper transistor and a few other things could be blown.
    Usually in this scenario the secondary side and connected components don`t get burnt.
    So you probably have to rebuild the primary side.
    Last edited by gonzo0815; 04-21-2008, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Re: 110v Xbox PSU into 240v - repair suggestions/ideas please

Lets not forget the startup resistors and possibly the standby section of the PWM IC.

The big problem with these PSUs is they use proprietary delta control ICs

DNA1001 (the PWM) and DNA1002 (the power good generator).

No datasheets for these two make these PSUs a dog to troubleshoot. Since I usually use the ICs outputs to get a feel on how the supply operates.

Since your friend runs on 240 it would be cheaper to buy a new aftermarket supply rated for your input voltage.

Like the one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBOX-Power-Suppl...QQcmdZViewItem

It will run directly off your outlet without all of the popping and smoke .

Just don't forget to flip the switch to 220 otherwise you will be back where you started.

All these 220 volt supplies do when you switch them to 220 is bypass the voltage doubler.

These generic units are sold all over the place you shoudn't have a problem finding one.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-22-2008, 05:10 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
      X