Fsp250-60hen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fsp250-60hen

what a joke - after i cleaned out the dust there was nothing in it!!!

btw,
    one primary cap - 100uf 400v Ost.

secondary's are all CapXion and Teapo

it was running a celeron dual-core with onboard nvidia 610/7100GT
    all stock - from Packard Bell.
    (other than the chipset-fan i fitted)
    Attached Files

Re: Fsp250-60hen

FSP is known for its tiny heatsinks, maybe it can do its rated wattage? 250 isn't a lot...

Comment

Originally posted by cheese007
      FSP is known for its tiny heatsinks, maybe it can do its rated wattage? 250 isn't a lot...
      I would have to agree. 250 isn't a whole lot of wattage, especially if this is a more efficient platform.

But it's still pretty anemic.

Comment

I posted about this PSU just a day ago here; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=164

IMHO this design can not deliver 250w and stay within spec, with a 100uF primary cap and those extremely small 8mm caps on the secondary with 20AWG cabling I think this PSU would start to go out of spec at 150w DC

Primary side;
        Bridge Rectifier; US4K 80R 4A,
        Switching Transistors; 3x FQPF5N50C 5A, 500V
        These are rated 5A at 25°C, derate 0.3W/1°C
        There is also a diode soldered to the same heatsink one of the lone above switching transistors sits on to "complete" this fine design, it's markings says (I think) SF38G 729, this would make it a 3A diode

Secondary side;
        1x MBR2560CT; 25A
        2x YM3045N; 30A

1x 1000uF 16v 8x20mm for +5vsb line
        4x 1000uF 16v 8x20mm for +12v line
        3x 1000uF 16v 8x20mm for +5v line
        2x 2200uF 6.3v 8x25mm for +3.3v line
        All are CapXon except one 1000uF 16v TEAPO strangely enough

Hell, they even found a way to cheap out on the screws, it is held in place with 2 screws and perforated steel!
        Well I guess I should give them cred for 2 screws holding the secondary heatsink against the case of the PSU, then again they probably figured if they didn't use the whole case as a heatsink the thing would melt away with those woefully inadequate "heatsinks" (I'd rater call them slabs of aluminium)
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

best part, the fan hardly moves.
          temperature controlled - supposedly.
          although i got it pretty warm - it heated the top of the pc and the fan didnt speed-up!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
            Primary side;
            Bridge Rectifier; US4K 80R 4A,
            Switching Transistors; 3x FQPF5N50C 5A, 500V
            These are rated 5A at 25°C, derate 0.3W/1°C
            There is also a diode soldered to the same heatsink one of the lone above switching transistors sits on to "complete" this fine design, it's markings says (I think) SF38G 729, this would make it a 3A diode

Secondary side;
            1x MBR2560CT; 25A
            2x YM3045N; 30A

1x 1000uF 16v 8x20mm for +5vsb line
            4x 1000uF 16v 8x20mm for +12v line
            3x 1000uF 16v 8x20mm for +5v line
            2x 2200uF 6.3v 8x25mm for +3.3v line
            All are CapXon except one 1000uF 16v TEAPO strangely enough

Hell, they even found a way to cheap out on the screws, it is held in place with 2 screws and perforated steel!
            Well I guess I should give them cred for 2 screws holding the secondary heatsink against the case of the PSU, then again they probably figured if they didn't use the whole case as a heatsink the thing would melt away with those woefully inadequate "heatsinks" (I'd rater call them slabs of aluminium)
            One of the FQP5N50C's are probably for PFC, as well as the diode. The other two act as primary switchers in two transistor forward.

Secondary side is also more than enough. Enough caps on the secondary for a 250W. I would say it's a 250W. Not a decent one, just a 250W. If you look at the PCB it's silkscreened to support much higher wattage builds, so it can probably deliver the wattage. Now the question is, does it do it in spec?

Comment

Hmmm. Maybe FSP are starting to go downhill. I always thought they were a good brand.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

FSP hasn't really made a very good psu in a while. Every once in a while something like the Coolermaster CM1200 comes up, but other than that most FSP's over about 500W generally have ripple problems and so-so voltage regulation. The same platforms at lower wattage will perform OK. Or they can be a pretty pathetic excuse for a psu like this one.

Comment

i have an old 200W fsp... damn fuhjyuu caps! it has a bridge/choke, and that is the only good thing one could say about it. it will be scrapped...
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

hmmm.. anyone willing to send one of those FSPs over to jonnyguru's place?

Comment

Yea sure, count me in
                      But does he have time to review this POS?
                      I can probably send it in an envelope, it weights like 12 grams
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i'd say it wont take long..
                        no hotbox testing at least.. with those tiny "heatsinks".. lol

Comment

Hmm, I think I will have to let Jonnyguru down,
                          See I came to the conclusion that the FSP powersupply needed some additional airvents...
                          So me and a friend decided to work on that a little!

Hit one, nice tight venthole!

Hit one just barley wingclipped the transformer (I bet it's scared now!)

Hit two, yup, the transformer was right to be scared!

Much better air circulation now after hit two...

The exit hole after hit number three, even more airflow....

Hit three remodeled the heatsink for better surface to air contact, should cool much better now with these new fins!

Here was our problem, CapXon Capacitors, this ones literally shot

Final view of the finnished product...

And now two GIFs for the second and last shots

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-23-2016, 01:44 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded due to problems with host

Comment

it maybe wasnt a good PSU, but that's just dumb IMHO.

Comment

I thought it was hilarious. Keep up the good work Per.

I've had some electronics I've wanted to do that to, as well. Maybe some day.
                              A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I burn all of my bad PSUs (as I've already mentioned in various threads in these forums). Did it to a couple of them a few weeks ago. Loads of pops from the smaller caps and two massive bangs from the primaries.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

ROFLOL!
                                  i would have,and have shot up an a power,powmax,ect.
                                  i would have replaced the secondary caps and used it for light duty.
                                  btw a deerslug will turn an a power "gamers special" nearly inside out!

Comment

This psu in question where eating HDD´s so it whas a act of mercy. ( and a way to not forget why it where on a shelf). I have to remeber the deer slug have a q tec p suply lying around not woth recaping.

This littel hunt resulted in one dead psu and 3 dead ant´s and one spoted elk (not season tho)

First post Yay.
                                    *edit almost been a meber a year tho. Keep up the intresting reading

Comment

dang... you gave it what it deserved... the firing squad!

nice job!
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Welcome to Badcaps Rooz

Yea, Rooz was the marksman and I the photographer
                                        The FSP did not deserve to live, as I wrote in the big PSU thread it was a HDD killer...
                                        I don't have the equipment nor desire to fix such a poorly built PSU, it would need bigger heatsinks, better filtering on the secondary and much bigger capacitors (on both sides)
                                        It would also probably need better than AWG20 cabling if you intend to pull some current from it...

Comment

Working...
                                        X