Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where do you get your capacitors?!

Originally posted by Retro-Hipster View Post
    Ah, Definitely recommend the DE-5000. Very capable and accurate on a really large range of capacitors and inductors. Also gives you just about all the info you could measure for capacitors as well. It's the one I use because I, like you, am just a hobbyist and don't want to spend 500+ on an esr meter. haha

Oh, and bonus nachos, it can be powered from a wall so you can leave it as a bench tool. Oh, one of the attachments it comes with uses some crappy crock clips though. They work, but I'd recommend looking at some youtube videos on switching them over to kelvin clips/leads. It cost about 20$ to do and is much more useful.
    Gotcha. Thanks! got that one on the way now too. I got a pretty cheap one initially. Can i ask you, do you think two 250v 470uf capacitors reading 450uf 0.23 esr would cause power failure at the highest brightness? all the other caps on this rig are excellent. It runs perfect if i put it at substandard brightness. Thanks again

Comment

I would say that the ESR in that seems a bit High, but capacitance wise that isn't really bad. Capacitance in a line can vary 15 or 20% of its rated value. 450 microfarad is pretty good. The ESR should be lower, something like 0.15ish or lower, but that could again have something to do with the frequency at which the meter is testing. If it is testing at a higher frequency than it will artificially bloat ESR.

I wouldn't expect those capacitors to be the cause of the issue, but I fear I'm woefully under experienced to say that with any certainty. LOL I fixed quite a few things in my life but I honestly just haven't fixed monitors. I also and pretty s*** at fixing amplifiers. Haha I think there are definitely some others on here that would be able to give you a much better answer than I have. Still, I would assume that the use of an electrolytic in the application would mean low frequency switching and that the size of the capacitor would mean it would be for a part of a power supply section of some kind. I wouldn't expect that level of issue from such a small discrepancy in capacitance or ESR.

Does anybody else have a better answer for this one? LOL

“Men always seem to think about their
      past before they die, as though they were
      frantically searching for proof that they
      truly lived.”
      – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

I would say that the ESR in that seems a bit High, but capacitance wise that isn't really bad. Capacitance in a line can vary 15 or 20% of its rated value. 450 microfarad is pretty good. The ESR should be lower, something like 0.15ish or lower, but that could again have something to do with the frequency at which the meter is testing. If it is testing at a higher frequency than it will artificially bloat ESR.

I wouldn't expect those capacitors to be the cause of the issue, but I fear I'm woefully under experienced to say that with any certainty. LOL I fixed quite a few things in my life but I honestly just haven't fixed monitors. I also and pretty s*** at fixing amplifiers. Haha I think there are definitely some others on here that would be able to give you a much better answer than I have. Still, I would assume that the use of an electrolytic in the application would mean low frequency switching and that the size of the capacitor would mean it would be for a part of a power supply section of some kind. I wouldn't expect that level of issue from such a small discrepancy in capacitance or ESR.

Does anybody else have a better answer for this one? LOL
        I honestly cant find a data sheet on this capacitor to figure out what frequency to test it at.

Comment

Oh! Ok. Well, with it being a 470uf capacitor, try testing it at 120hz. About 95% Adidas sheets you will find for electrolytic capacitors will always say to test it at 120 hertz.

Also, that esr might actually be fine too.. Looking at some general purpose caps, I'm seeing a lot in the 300mOhm range, so that is probably fine really... Sorry, i didn't mean to give inaccurate information. :x I think I've just gotten used to having some pretty good caps around. LOL the ones I just tested were 0.01ohms at 470uf / 250v.. I measured these.
          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b186d3a49a.pdf
          Last edited by Retro-Hipster; 05-09-2019, 09:06 PM.

truly lived.”
          – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

Oh! Ok. Well, with it being a 470uf capacitor, try testing it at 120hz. About 95% Adidas sheets you will find for electrolytic capacitors will always say to test it at 120 hertz.

Also, that esr might actually be fine too.. Looking at some general purpose caps, I'm seeing a lot in the 300mOhm range, so that is probably fine really... Sorry, i didn't mean to give inaccurate information. :x I think I've just gotten used to having some pretty good caps around. LOL the ones I just tested were 0.01ohms at 470uf / 250v.. I measured these.
            https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b186d3a49a.pdf
            Ill be honest in saying, i bought the esr meter before you mentioned the whole frequency thing. as a result i have this meter. Its actually a neat little device but i dont think it can test at different frequencies. im not even sure what its testing at.

Comment

Oh! Yeah, those little things are actually really awesome I have to save for their price, I'm not sure if you can adjust the frequency either. LOL I have a slightly different one knocking about. I think I might remember something in mind about being able to select capacitance testing from the menu instead of doing it on auto. I don't remember if you can adjust anything on it though either. LOL I do remember it being a little function generator. Let me Maybe poke around on a little bit..

truly lived.”
              – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

Oh! Yeah, those little things are actually really awesome I have to save for their price, I'm not sure if you can adjust the frequency either. LOL I have a slightly different one knocking about. I think I might remember something in mind about being able to select capacitance testing from the menu instead of doing it on auto. I don't remember if you can adjust anything on it though either. LOL I do remember it being a little function generator. Let me Maybe poke around on a little bit..
                There was no documentation with mine. And the user manual online isnt great.. Its written by someone with poor english skills and they dont go over much.

Comment

Here you go: https://github.com/madires/Transisto.../Documentation
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                  X