Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 motherboard - COK-OO2

Hi,

I'm was wondering if anyone on here could help me repair this PS3 motherboard, originally when I powered it on, it shut down right away, no lights.

I managed to figure out, that there was a short on the 12v line (IC6202 IP2003AP had shorted). I have replaced the IC, but the console is now showing the classic YLOD. I have reflowed the GPU and CPU, replaced the GPU, and still the same.

I'm wondering what might have caused the rectifier to blow in the first place, as this may lead me to find whats causing the YLOD. I only know basic electronics, so not really sure what to check next.

I couldn't upload the schematic, as it exceeded the upload limit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: PS3 motherboard - COK-OO2

maybe the proadalizer caps

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but do you mean the NEC tokens? As one of them is slightly melted. I have removed a few from a scrap board, but have no idea how to test them, I only have DMM.

Comment

if they arent shorted then they are probably o.k.
        read the capacitance if you have it on your meter.

Comment

Unfortunately, my meter can't read capacitance. I'll just have buy one.

Comment

I went ahead and replaced those caps, the ones I removed weren't shorted, replaced anyway, and still YLOD.

Comment

if the fan is running ful speed then it may be cpu overheating from bad paste under the metal cap(that you should have removed and re-done)

Comment

Fan seems to be normal, I re soldered the IP2003AP, just in case I didn't attached it right, and it went back to having a short on the 12v line, IP2003AP getting really hot.

I removed the IP2003AP, and replaced it with another one. There is a short again, but this time the resistance is 2 ohms, instead of 0.6 and it's drawing 3.3v.
                Last edited by Sadistic Taste; 04-18-2016, 06:32 AM.

Comment

interesting device.

if you have it removed, check the output pad for a ground-short.
                  and check the inductor etc.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Do you mean the pad on the motherboard? I checked that pad to ground earlier, and it was showing around 2 ohms I think.

It's still attached ATM, though it won't take long to remove it. I'll get back to you shortly!

Comment

I removed the chip, and measured from the output pad to ground, which reads 2 ohms. Also measured across the inductor, which is showing 0.2 ohms.
                      Last edited by Sadistic Taste; 04-18-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

so you have a downstream short.
                        could be a ceramic cap - if your lucky.

Comment

OK, so how do I go about finding the cap that's bad?

Comment

good question - usually by lifting each suspect till the short changes!

Comment

OK, so I removed the RSX again and the rectifier. Still short, removed the 2 top NEC tokins, found one had a short, even though I already changed them, short gone.

Reballed RSX, soldered back the rectifier, check short, still gone. Replaced the NEC tokins, check short, still gone.

Attach RSX, short returns..

Removed 2 top NEC tokins, still short. Removed the 2 bottom NEC tokins, short gone. The tokins are ok, no shorts etc. So I checked the pads with my meter, and I noticed from the center ground pad to the outer pad closest to the RSX, shows 2 ohms.

So.. Bad RSX?

Comment

It sounds like the RSX is bad and is causing something else downstream to short.
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X