HP 2509M Monitor - no display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 2509M Monitor - no display

I received this monitor in a no power state and the customer decided to opt for a new monitor instead. Therefore I inherited this and want to fix it. Doing some homework on the net I was able to replace the mosfet (FDB6030L) and the diode near it to get power to actually work. This is on what I assume is the inverter daughter board piggybacked on the power board. Now I am down to getting the ccfl's to light up as they don't. I do get a faint image of a desktop so from my experience with laptop displays I know its most likely a inverter problem. There is another mosfet on the board (P9006EDG) and I have checked it and seems to pass ok. Below is a picture of the board and a close up of the 6030L mosfet.

From the datasheet on the 6030L I see the drain is actually the tab (as you say on the north?). However, I had an "issue" removing the mosfet for replacement and removed some of the backing with it. You can see it in the second pic. Am I correct in assuming that the foil type backing under the green covering on the board is for the drain connection? Therefore I have to repair the connection from drain to the board surface?

I do get good readings from source to drain on both mosfets now. So, Iam assuming also that they are probably good.

Sorry if this appears a dumb question but most of my experience has been with single layer easy repairs. Would be nice if I could even find a schematic on the HP2509m monitor if anyone can point me in that direction I would appreciate it also.

Im new and here to learn, please be kind..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by northpoint; 12-15-2012, 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling...

Re: HP 2509M Monitor - no display

I have partial success! On my first post the drain on the 6030L mosfet was not making contact on the damaged daughterboard of the inverter. What I did was put on a jumper wire to make the connection as the board has surface damage on it (see my last post picture).

I got the ccfl tubes to light and got a picture on the screen. However, It flickers and is dark on the left side. Ive included a picture for anyone interested. Sorry about the quality of the pic but its from my cell phone.

Learning more all the time. Cant wait to get this repair done and put this monitor to use.

Northpoint
    Attached Files

Comment

I have a question about testing the ccfl's on this monitor. Since I want to isolate where the issue is. I have been reading up on the "testing ccfl's" thread that has been recommended but I did have one quick question if anyone can help me.

Im going to swap out the bulb connections with known good ones to see if the bulbs are bad. The ccfls in the monitor are for a 25 inch screen. The inverter looks to handle about 4 of them with individual connectors. Can I use a smaller ccfl to test them? The one I have is from a 15 inch donor monitor. Im just curious as will this make a big difference in troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance,

Northpoint

Comment

It is quite a big difference and may not produce the result needed but you may as well give it a try. if half the screen is dull it sounds like a bulb is not lighting but that would normally send it into protection-off.

If the leads are long enough perhaps move them around the sockets to see if the dark section moves.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thank you selldoor for your reply. I just didnt want to damage the components in the monitor should there be some difference in bulb size for testing.

Unfortunately the leads are not long enough to swap them around. But I am going to try a smaller bulb for testing purposes. I just want to determine if the bulbs are at fault or if I still have an issue with the inverter circuit I fixed.

Im going to keep posting to this thread until I get it repaired or give up.

Its nice to get a reply as I have been just pouring over the threads here to learn as much as possible. Its always a great help to get some feedback on what I am doing from others.

Thanks again,

Northpoint

Comment

You'll get more accurate help if you can post a top down photo of the entire power supply/inverter board(s). I'm also thinking that one bulb is out. To narrow it down, prior to turning the monitor on, try disconnecting one ccfl plug at a time. This should help isolate which ccfl or inverter output is causing the problem.

Comment

Here are the attached pics of the power/inverter board and the logic board on the monitor.

I will test each ccfl connection with my donor ccfl.

Thanks for the feedback,

Northpoint
              Attached Files

Comment

I checked all connections for the bulbs with my donor bulb and they all act the same way. Blinking about twice a second. I also resoldered the joints on the output transformers.

Both caps near the inverter board show a steady 31.5 volts.

Any ideas feel free to post em ...

Northpoint

Comment

may be due the size of the sub.
                  Whilst the leads may be too short to do a full swap can you swap one of the two pairs
                  and try it then swap that back and swap the other pair (hmm does that make sense?)
                  and record what happens.

By the way these are v high voltages and you should be switching the power off to swap the plugs.
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I did two tests swapping each pair like you suggested. The results are exactly the same. I get the normal "no source" error on the screen as its not hooked up to a computer but the screen flickers.

Im kinda worried that its the inverter daughter board having an issue as I had to repair it.

If I hookup to a computer and display a desktop it is nice and clear except for the left side of screen is dim and I have that flicker. - Picture attached.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes but does it look different when you do the swapping.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                        Yes but does it look different when you do the swapping.
                        Very slight difference. I wouldnt think enough to matter really. It goes into standby mode just because no signal is hooked up from a computer. But if I do hook it up to a computer it will stay on.

Iam going to check some transisters on the board next. Cant get the part numbers off of them without taking them out.

Thanks again

Northpoint

Comment

It just seems add that when you move the cables the dark are doesnt move.

Could you make one of Budms test lamps - may be nearer a 25" ccfl than the 15"

Read this thread start at post19

Comment

Hmmm .....

I believe the same symptom is being discussed here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop...s/td-p/1210387

If that's true, you'll have to take a peek at the ccfls now ...

Comment

When you soldered the wire to the FDB6030L how did you connect the jumper wire? Did you solder one end to the tab and where did you connect the other end?

Also, those two caps reading 31.5V (seems high), what is the voltage rating stamped on them?
                              Last edited by jetadm123; 12-17-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

What a nice thread to read (sarcastic). Thanks United.

Ive been cautioning my customers about HP laptops for a few years now and they keep buying them. Then they come to me and cry when the boards burn up.

Im not sure I want to replace the tubes in it (4) as that will probably be quite expensive along with the inverter controller chip. Opinions on that possibility?

I hope HP goes under at this point.

I guess I will have to re-think things here a bit before I proceed any further. Have any of you done a replacement on the ccfl tubes? Pretty expensive? This darn thing has 4 in it.

Thanks again all!

Northpoint

Comment

Hmmm .....

I was thinking that perhaps you may want to see if it's true that poor solder joints on the tubes is causing the dark left thing. If the tubes themselves are still good then some cleanup and re-soldering should do it. If it really is the tube, well, it's still your call .....

I've done quite a number of ccfls replacement and it helps to calm oneself (relax, deep breaths, meditate, whatever) before attempting it.

Comment

Originally posted by UniT3d View Post
                                    Hmmm .....

I was thinking that perhaps you may want to see if it's true that poor solder joints on the tubes is causing the dark left thing. If the tubes themselves are still good then some cleanup and re-soldering should do it. If it really is the tube, well, it's still your call .....

I've done quite a number of ccfls replacement and it helps to calm oneself (relax, deep breaths, meditate, whatever) before attempting it.
                                    Just got done tearing the ccfls out of the monitor. It didnt take that long and wasnt really all that difficult. But I can see where the wires burned from the ends.

All in all, This was a good learning experience basically. Thats about it. I will though check and see if I can fix the ends of the tubes.

Therefore, It was the arching of the tubes that made it flicker then. The tubes themselves look to be about 22 inches long. There are 2 tubes to each (top and bottom of monitor). I will see about soldering them.

Thank you for your input!

Northpoint

Comment

I have 1 broken ccfl tube that is about 22.5 inches long and as far as I can figure its 3mm diameter. What really gets me is I had a hard time getting the silicon end piece off of them. The tubes are paired (2 tubes at top, 2 tubes at bottom) with dual silicon end covers. I actually had to destroy the silicon end covers to get them off.

I dont think I would have a problem soldering the connectors to the tubes but coming up with end connectors does bother me. Any ideas on this?

If I can find the right size tube I might go for it. I have everything else working on the monitor and have to fix some bad solder points to the tubes so in reality I m going to need 4 end covers. Hummm... Wonder if I can actually make some end covers? Silicon glue???

Northpoint

Comment

Check out this place: www.lcdparts.net
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X