Tell me about mixing ECC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about mixing ECC

So I'm acquiring an old server with a Supermicro X10DAX board using dual E5-2690 v3's. The previous owner had four 16GB RDIMM's in it, which are all Samsung 2133 CAS15's. I want to have ALL memory channels running so I need to purchase another four sticks. But most of what I'm finding is more along the lines of 2400 CAS17. My understanding of basic systems is the system will run at the higher latency sticks' speed, but I don't know if these servers will be happy with that. It's not that I can't get exactly the same part number sticks, it's just that finding them for a good price is less likely than finding the 2400's.

What are my options? The system is currently loaded with M393A2G40DB0-CPB sticks.
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Re: Tell me about mixing ECC

Motherboards like that can be iffy with memory sticks

Your title said about mixing ECC, when I believe all sticks on these boards have to be REG ECC

the Samsungs are on SuperMicro's compatibility list.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/suppor...d=0&cpu=others

I'm not saying they won't work, but it's iffy. They will not work if they are not REG ECC
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The other ones I'm looking at are RDIMM's, they just aren't the same frequency and CAS latency. I know not to mix RDIMM's and LRDIMM's.

Comment

It might work. TC and ratdude should be the one that has experience with supermicro boards.
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

It can work, but there is no way to know without testing.
          If it was my money and it was just a little bit more expensive I'd go with the identical memory modules.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Sage advice! I'm more interested in rock solid stability and longevity. However, after some conversations and reading up on the Web, it appears that the cases in which running Quad-Channel will actually yield an increase in performance are nothing I will ever do. I see people being proud of the fact that they are running in full Quad-channel on a single processor board, but I see no benchmarks for desktop software that show an increase in performance. It appears that only some obscure server-only software would make use of having to move so much data that Quad-channel actually matters.

So long story short, I'll just leave it the way it is unless someone has some wisdom they can afford me to convince me to use all channels.

Comment

I've been looking at memory for my new retro build, and basically what I've seen is 2400 costs more $$ than it is worth, 2133 is rare/can't find it for sale, 1833 RAM seems to be problematic and many users complain of instability or the RAM just running at 1600 anyway. 1600 RAM seems to be rock solid and the right price, so I bought all 1600. Does that seem about right?

Comment

I think you're talking about DDR3, which would be difficult find in those speeds. I'm speaking if 2133 DDR4, which is pretty basic and plentiful.

Comment

Working...
                X