1.5 amps vs. 3 amps DJL vs. DJA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.5 amps vs. 3 amps DJL vs. DJA

sorry I'm a nooby, and I can't seem to find a straight answer. If I have a bulb socket that is rated 120v 150W 3amps, and there's another bulb with the same form factor, only difference is it's rated at 1.5 amps, can I use it as a replacement?

The bulb place says it's a "possible" match, and I don't mind if it is more dim, I just don't want to fry my projector. If I blow the bulb, at least I tried. It's an old Anscovision 88, but the mechanical is still good.

Swap in DJL for DJA
    Last edited by apetay; 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM.
    3 repairs under my belt, 3 repairs in progress

Re: 1.5 amps vs. 3 amps DJL vs. DJA

The two lamps have different focal distances, a 1/2" difference to the filmgate, so the substitute lamp would give less light. I don't know the Ancovision 88 specs. Maybe a DFG?
    DJA datasheet DJL datasheet Source: Don's Bulbs

The lamp socket rating is limited by two things- its heat rating for the socket and current rating for the connecting pins. Do you mean substitute a 3A (360W@120V) socket for a 1.5A socket (180W@120v)? That's okay.
    Socket ratings depend on if the socket is ceramic or bakelight, and if there is a cooling fan, inrush current blah blah.

Don't upsize (double) the lamp wattage.... things will melt...

Comment

Thanks redwire! This was the kinda answer I was looking for. DJA is the one rated for 3 amps that I know my projector can use, however I found some DJL's rated at 1.5 amps, for a very good price. Most of the "info" I saw said that the two had the same W and V ratings, and it was only the amps that were different. I think this is just typical internet disinformation, or I just wasn't paying close enough attention. What's this "inrush current" you speak of? The Ansco 88 does have a cooling fan, btw, and the badge clearly states DFP is a usable bulb as well as DJA.

Comment

Originally posted by apetay View Post
        Thanks redwire! This was the kinda answer I was looking for. DJA is the one rated for 3 amps that I know my projector can use, however I found some DJL's rated at 1.5 amps, for a very good price. Most of the "info" I saw said that the two had the same W and V ratings, and it was only the amps that were different. I think this is just typical internet disinformation, or I just wasn't paying close enough attention. What's this "inrush current" you speak of? The Ansco 88 does have a cooling fan, btw, and the badge clearly states DFP is a usable bulb as well as DJA.
        Not "disinformation", but a flat out lie that defies the laws of physics.

Wattage "W" is calculated by Voltage "V" times Current "A"

120V x 3.0A = 360 Watts
        120V x 1.5A = 180 Watts

Filament light bulbs have a much lower resistance when cold then they do when they are hot, so they pull allot more current at turn on then they do after they reach their normal operating temp. The current pulled by a cold bulb is the "inrush current". it only lasts a few milliseconds, but can be many times the normal current.

Comment

Originally posted by LLLlllou View Post
          Not "disinformation", but a flat out lie that defies the laws of physics.

Wattage "W" is calculated by Voltage "V" times Current "A"

120V x 3.0A = 360 Watts
          120V x 1.5A = 180 Watts

Filament light bulbs have a much lower resistance when cold then they do when they are hot, so they pull allot more current at turn on then they do after they reach their normal operating temp. The current pulled by a cold bulb is the "inrush current". it only lasts a few milliseconds, but can be many times the normal current.
          More real answers. Geez I love this forum!!!!

Comment

Is this by any chance for a Super 8 projector??? Are you digitizing reels?
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by apetay View Post
              More real answers. Geez I love this forum!!!!
              Mind you, that's not to say that every light that uses 360 watts puts out twice the optical output as every 180 Watt light. Comparing apples to apples, one tungsten filament bulb is going to be extremely similar to the next. Apples to oranges, Florescent bulbs put out about 2-3 times as much light per watt, and LEDs can double that again. If we ever find a way to turn electrons into photons with 100% efficiency, one watt would probably vaporize your retinas.

Comment

These projector lamps are pushed pretty hard to get their 3200K color temp. CRI. They have only a 15hr life rating and I'm pretty sure they aren't halogen, as the halogen lamp (commercial) patent is 1959, took a while to make "hard" glass. I think 8mm projectors were popular in the late 1960's.

Modern DLP projector lamps are 1,000-2,000 hour life rated but expensive. It might be worth hacking one into an old projector?

Source: "Revolution in Lamps: A Chronicle of 50 Years of Progress" ISBN 0-88173-378-4

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  Is this by any chance for a Super 8 projector??? Are you digitizing reels?
                  Yes indeed on both accounts- I'm digitizing some early 70's home movies for my Mom's birthday.

This project's been on the back-burner for a long long time. I've considered trying to wire in some LED's, but 15 hours of standard bulb life would likely get me by...

Comment

Originally posted by LLLlllou View Post
                    Mind you, that's not to say that every light that uses 360 watts puts out twice the optical output as every 180 Watt light. Comparing apples to apples, one tungsten filament bulb is going to be extremely similar to the next. Apples to oranges, Florescent bulbs put out about 2-3 times as much light per watt, and LEDs can double that again. If we ever find a way to turn electrons into photons with 100% efficiency, one watt would probably vaporize your retinas.

If it's one thing I don't need help with vaporized retinas! I'm sitting at 20/200 unassisted.
                    Last edited by apetay; 01-10-2014, 01:25 AM. Reason: continuity

Comment

Working...
                    X