Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post The Led Backlights Your Fixing Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post The Led Backlights Your Fixing Here.

I love LG, especially the LN series. I've done about 25-30 now. Takes about 45 minutes. Looks like the LF and LB series will running into that problem too shortly. I've already sold replacement strips for these "new" Tv's

Comment

I get around 5 or 6 at the moment coming through the workshop a week, over the last couple of months mostly LG.

Comment

I have a 46" Samsung UN46EH5300 that I found being thrown out two weeks ago while bike riding. The assembly date on the inside label says October 29, 2013 making it 3 1/2 years old. Opened it up and confirmed it is a bad LED string. As it is my first LED TV, I am trying to figure out how to get the back panel off in order to access the LED's. I have the service manual but it does not cover that level of tear down. Overall it is a very nice TV with no scratches. If I do manage to open it, I was planning to fashion an LED tester from a 18650 lithium battery and series resistor. I see used strips are available and figured I would install a used strip and then look to fixing the bad strip to keep as a spare.

Comment

Working on fixing a Vizio e420i-a0. Found several bad LED's and have already replaced them. These LED strip's are attached with what looks like double sided tape, which was destroyed when removing the light strip's. My question is, how hot do these LED light strips get after they've been on for a few hour's? I have some Aluminum ducting tape that I thought I could use, though i'm not sure if the heat from the LED's would melt the adhesive on the tape. From what I've found, the Aluminum ducting tape has a max temp of 250°F.

Comment

Originally posted by llonen View Post
            I get around 5 or 6 at the moment coming through the workshop a week, over the last couple of months mostly LG.
            I have done two of them, and don't know about
            anyone else, but have found back light setting up full tilt

Alan.

Comment

Hi all,
              Fixed an Hitachi L42VP01C with 4 LED's failing.
              Fixed an LG 32LN5400 with 5 LED's failing.
              Have two more 32" LG to fix.
              Using 400mA LEDs from Aliexpress so far so good.
              Jean

Comment

I'll share my favorite tip regarding older LG TVs: With the back off, you can lay the TV face down, disconnect the two ribbon cables coming from the T-Con board, and remove all of the screws around the edge. Then use a bunch of toothpicks to hold the retaining clips around the edge open, and then lift the metal frame right off without disturbing the LCD panel (including the thin circuit board attached to the panel) and the diffusers. After taking care of the LEDS, just drop the back right down on top of the assemble and replace the screws.

Comment

LG 50LN5100 Just started on this one. Confirmed it is a failure in the LED panel and not one of the boards.

Comment

One question repaired a few LG leds but how do you set the tv backlights to for example 60%
                    Because everytime I turn on the tv it reverts back to 100%

Thanks

Comment

Did you update firmware? Suppose to update firmware on LG to address led problem but I never found out what it actually does. I modify the board to limit current
                      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Thanks for the reply
                        Always update the firmware
                        What parts do you use to limit the current any tutorial ?
                        So are we saying you can leave the backlight on 100% after limiting the current ?

Thanks

Comment

Each are different, but you need to change feedback resistors to led controller. That will permanently lower your max current. LG run over 400ma. I lower to around 300ma
                          I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

What's the biggest led strip or repair you have done? I have my eyes on a 60" and I have a 50" that needs to be done. I'm worried about breaking the screen to get to the leds when I lift the screen off. Any tips for removing the panel on very big tv's to get to the strips?

Comment

I have replaced several 42, 47 LG LN series. No shop, so I don't get a huge bunch coming in. I troll and salvage. Have done a few Visio as well.

Comment

My last repair is a 42LN5700 with LCD part is LC420DUE-SCR1. At some point, I cracked the corner of the LCD. Rather than scrap the whole thing, I have been trolling and holding out for a donor screen. I have come across a 42LN5200 LCd part is LC420DUE-(SF)(R5).

The TCon board is identical between the two, but the LCD is not in the crossover list as an alternate. Anybody ever swap one of these out? What issues would there be?

Comment

If the T-con is the same, you should be able to swap screens.

Comment

RCA LED55C55R120Q - One bad LED

Comment

Originally posted by theojt View Post
                                      RCA LED55C55R120Q - One bad LED
                                      I have the same, one bad LED.

Did you replace the strip or just the one LED?
                                      Where did you get your part?

Comment

I probably fix about 5-8 of these a month..

It used to be exclusively LGs, but lately I have been seeing a lot of Vizios..

I just got a 65" LED in that I am going to tackle this week.. I hate working on LEDs on such a big panel...
                                        Last edited by Michale32086; 11-28-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I have to say... Replacing bad LED strips is THE most rewarding repair job I do...

Practically anyone can replace a board. The skill for THAT comes in the diagnosis.....

But to take a 65" or 70" monster, break it down to the bare LED strips, replace the bad ones, and reassemble it all without breaking the panel or ripping the tab bonds?? That requires some real skill and finesse..

I always have a smile on my face when I power up a big LED TV and see it working perfectly..

Of course, they can hear me yell all the way to Timbuktu when I crack a panel or rip a tab bond. hehe

But yea.. Successfully replacing LED strips is, by far, the most rewarding..
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X