opinions on a icute 850w PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on a icute 850w PSU

I recently paid 5 pound on ebay for this psu and i am wondering if this is a good quality or at least usable psu. The secondary caps are branded samxon and i have no clue what the primary is. It does seem like it is a very low hours unit as there was very little dust inside when i broke the warranty seal and opened it up.
    Attached Files

Re: opinions on a icute 850w PSU

The primary cap looks like a hitachi. It' definitely not a 850w psu, but it looks like a decent 500 - 550w unit. What are rectifiers on the secondary? That shold give you a better idea about the capabilities of the psu. Also CWT is usually using green transformers.
    Last edited by nick122; 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Looks like a rebadged low-end CWT with modular cables. I'm not an expert in PSUs, but I think this one should be usable for a budget build.
      Definitely not an 850W though.

Comment

be warned: icutes are infamous in my side of the world for being hand grenade power supplies. dont use it for anything critical or expensive as it lacks proper working short circuit, overvoltage, overcurrent, overpower and overload protection.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, this will be used in a older pc with a q6600 cpu and a gts250 gpu so i think it will be fine for that.

Comment

Old CWT PSH, not great, especially with THOSE Heatsinks probably overrated.

With the 390uF primary capacitor, I'd treat it as a 550W PSU.
            Last edited by Stefan Payne; 10-25-2016, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nick122 View Post
              The primary cap looks like a hitachi. It' definitely not a 850w psu, but it looks like a decent 500 - 550w unit. What are rectifiers on the secondary? That shold give you a better idea about the capabilities of the psu. Also CWT is usually using green transformers.
              This platform is capable of 700W with voltages and ripple in specs.

Just make sure that particular unit has right sized parts for this wattage.

The efficiency of this platform at 230V mains is 83% - 86% while 40% - 80% loaded accordingly, so don't worry about the heat sink size.

I would worry about the caps getting cooked though, because of the umbrella design of the heat-sinks and the fan controller being set on the silent side.
              Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nick122 View Post
                Also CWT is usually using green transformers.
                The "LINE PLAY" sticker also gives it away... as do the UL code & "CWT" on the transformer sticker.

Originally posted by ddscentral View Post
                Looks like a rebadged low-end CWT
                Which means that cap could be a fu-ju-yoo- their logo can be (deliberately?) similar to hitachi's.

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                This platform is capable of 700W with voltages and ripple in specs.

Just make sure that particular unit has right sized parts for this wattage.
                Right sized parts, like the boost cap, PFC transistor & diode, and most importantly, the boost inductor! Which runs a higher duty at low input voltage or more output with the same sized part- like using the 500W inductor in a 700W unit.
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                Originally posted by shango066
                All style and no substance.
                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Working...
                X