Keep It Simple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep It Simple

A while ago I was having problems with my "Neckwork." I run a Westel DSL wireless modem router. The wireless is disabled and I run it hard wired. My internet just got slow and then sometime later the modem kept dropping off and it would take the thing forever to find the DSL line again. Well I played around with all the software settings. This didn't change a thing. I checked the thing for bad caps and they were all good. My son the Comcast installer was going to drop a new linksys on me to try and fix my issues. Well I had another Westel single port modem router here so I hooked it up in place of the big westel for a test. It worked the same way. Next I checked the wire run from the phone plug to the modem. This is where I found my problem. At the time my wife had a new puppy. It had gone under here desk and used the DSL wire to cut its teeth on. That wire was torn to shreads. After switching out that wire my DSL worked fine again. My internet has been acting a little freaky the past week or so again. I checked the new wire and he has eaten that one up too. I think I'll wrap the next one in tin foil. That might stop him...I hope.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Keep It Simple

neighbor had that problem.i put some daves insanity sauce on a rag and wiped all the wires behind the pc and ht systems.end of problem.easy to wash of later.critters hate that stuff.
    http://www.davesgourmet.peachhost.com/ct_PRdain.htm

Comment

Waste Dave's Insanity Sauce on a dog? Are you nuts! That shit is for me...LOL My Bullmastiffe loves anything hot. His favorite snack is hot chips or hot cheese curls. What a dog! There is only a small part of the wire run that the puppy can get to. I'm going to wrap the new one I have in Tin Foil. He just may chew a little but I think that the tin foil will put him off. As and added bonus I could always construct a little circuit car a car coil and a groud plate. That would fix him when he put his wet little mouth on the tinfoil wrap.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

I had a problem with our dog when she was a pup chewing the keyboard cables. I went through two keyboards in one week. We kept her out of the office untill she grew out of it. If she'd done it one more time I would have ended up getting a wireless one.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

When my cat "LIL Bit" was a kitten she bit the wires off of three sets of head phones for me. One set she did in while I was using them...LOL These were not expensive ones. I buy them at the dollar store.
          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

ideally if possible get a cable trunk to conceal those cables.

check your main phone line for any noises, bad weather, etc can cause corrosion in the distribution panel and thus affect the connection

Comment

once had a dog who did this to extension cords and power cords...

we used tobasco, at first she hated it, eventually she got older and started liking it again.. shocking..

Comment

These dogs also chew live 110 volt cords right off at the plug! How the hell do they do it, and not let the magic smoke out of their bodies??????
                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                  These dogs also chew live 110 volt cords right off at the plug! How the hell do they do it, and not let the magic smoke out of their bodies??????

hahaha they must have internal breakers and fuses on the main internal circuit

Comment

It must be something like that...These are little dogs too. We are talking about Chihuahuas, Pekinese, and Maltese critters here. They are about the size of a wild cotton tailed rabbits at best.
                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                    X