Recapping vintage communications equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapping vintage communications equipment

Google has sent me here several times over that past few years for various reasons. So today I decided to register.

I used to repair consumer electronics back into the 90's . Specializing in TVRO Satellite receivers. They had a lot of heat build up and I replaced a lot of caps. I usually just did the whole board at 1 time.

Well now, I want to fix some old vintage ham radio equipment anywhere form 30-50 years old.
    Since it is hobby equipment it tends to live on for multiple decades. Because of that, I would like to replace the caps as few times as possible.

I'm looking at Rubycon Nicholson Sanyo and Panasonic .
    I remember a few threads saying the FM Panasonics were a better value in that company's line.
    Things have changed a lot since the 80's and 90's so I thought I would come here for some good advice.
    I think 105C and long life are most important. Is there anything else I should be considering in my selection ?

Tnx martin

Re: Recapping vintage communications equipment

probably best to look for something with a long life but not too low esr.
    something like rubycon YXF series.

but it really depends what your replacing.

Comment

If the receivers are tube or early SS i will point you here: http://antiqueradios.com/forums

- KE0ETP
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I can give you a few pieces of advice:

1) Use Mouser, Digikey, Newark/Farnell, Arrow, etc... Avoid "kits" for your specific model from websites that specialize in this sort of thing. You'll get a much better quality re-cap yourself, if you take a little time to read about capacitors and understand the varying quality of different series.

2) Don't use general purpose caps, even from trusted manufacturers, and even if they're 105c rated. You can always do better, often at a lesser cost, or for just a few cents more.

Avoid:

Chemi-Con KMG, SMG
        Rubycon YK, PX
        Nichcion VR, VZ

3) Don't re-cap axial electrolytic capacitors with replacement axial capacitors. There are a few outfits, specifically antique radio parts dealers, who still source newly manufactured axial capacitors from China. The problem here is two-fold: Even if you manage to obtain axial electrolytic capacitors from a reputable manufacturer (I think Nichicon might still make them), they are always general-purpose class caps AFAIK. And the ones that come from China have all the inherent problems of Chinese radial capacitors.

4) Don't buy new old stock capacitors, even when they are an exact match. A good example of these would be the turquoise Rubycon capacitors from the 80s. I'm not saying they weren't good capacitors in their time (to the contrary, some of them still function perfectly till today), but chances are, if they've been laying around for that long, something inside just isn't as fresh as it was when it was manufactured 30 years ago.

Regarding replacing axial electrolytics with radial electrolytics, it's pretty simple. All you do is wrap one lead in the other direction and then heatshrink it, so it functions very much like an axial version of itself.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

and if you are after originality modern parts are smaller and often fit inside the shell of the old part.caps are easy.
          i have also drilled old dogbone resistors and hid modern replacements inside.

Comment

Tnx for all the good info. Well worth the time it took to post. I learned something from every post. Tnx a million!

Comment

Working...
            X