Asus p5kpl-am IN VRM short repeatedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus p5kpl-am IN VRM short repeatedly

So i got this board with VRM short. Replaced one faulty mosfet and the buck controller and everything looked fine.NO shoring anywhere.

Then I reseated the the processor and ram. PLugged in and now I can see a green LED glow on the board itself.

But when I press the power button, it starts for about 10 seconds( fan spins) then shuts down. Nothing on display .. no post.

Upon checking the board againwith the multimer (after removing the CPU) , on buzzer mode the 4 pin socket does beep and is around resistance 035 ohms.
    Is that normal ?

Re: Asus p5kpl-am IN VRM short repeatedly

35 ohms between the 12V for CPU and ground is too low (assuming PSU is disconnected and caps are discharged). You probably have another dead (high-side) MOSFET in there…

Btw I know it's more expansive, but it's better to replace all of the MOSFETs with the same batch number to avoid unbalancing issues due to different characteristics. And replace them at the same time as the MOSFET drivers too.
    Last edited by piernov; 08-21-2019, 05:01 AM.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Re: Asus p5kpl-am IN VRM short repeatedly

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      35 ohms between the 12V for CPU and ground is too low (assuming PSU is disconnected and caps are discharged). You probably have another dead (high-side) MOSFET in there…

Btw I know it's more expansive, but it's better to replace all of the MOSFETs with the same batch number to avoid unbalancing issues due to different characteristics. And replace them at the same time as the MOSFET drivers too.
      Ok thanks I will give it a try. I replaced the one from the same donor board actually

Comment

Working...
      X