Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 170x6 17inch monitor VGA DVI and stereo Speakers repair

This is a sad repair story.

I found 4 monitors, all having their panels scratched from the previous owner in order to destroy them and prevent anyone who gets them to be able to reuse them.

I took them in, hoping that they would be repaired and the panels still OK despite the scratching.

Turned out all of them had badcaps on psu.

PSU is Delta Electronics, excellent design, but uses the usual mediocre non Japanese capacitors.

The reason the caps bulged is that Philips didn't make enough ventilation holes on the aluminum interference cover of the psu and the signal board.

I decided to recap them.

After recap I found how bad the panels are: None of them is broken, but on 3 of 4 monitors the scratches are so deep that the pixels are damaged and permanently lit white...

Also found that 1 of the 4 psus still not worked after recap.

Monitor would power on for 1-2 seconds, then psu goes into protection mode.

Since the panels are damaged, just took parts from that power supply and didn't attempt to fix it anymore.

I recapped the 3 remaining psus just out of fun, using mix of mediocre non Japanese caps and totally crappy caps, such as Canicon and GSC

The speakers and the amplifier of this model is the best sounding I have met on LCD monitors continuing the good past of Philips embedded speakers on CRT monitors. Unfortunately many of them had their paper torn apart and I think that at least 1-2 of them had speaker spider torn, then the driver moved to the front. I wonder if anyone has experienced something like this with small cheap speakers like those.
    Attached Files
Working...
X