Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace nec/tokin OE128 in laptop motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace nec/tokin OE128 in laptop motherboard?

My (NEC VersaPro) laptop can't show any thing on screen, only show black screen. When I press power button, all the indicators, fanes and hdd runs normally and it restart again and again (sometimes start laptop suddenly after couple of restarting but hang after hours and when i start again, i face same problem again). I opened it and found an IC Shape device named nec/ tokin OE128 broken/damaged(half burned).
    I want to know how can i fix it or change it? And i want to know, is it IC OR Capacitor? And which capacitor(uF/V?) i can use to replace it and fix problem?

Please help me any expert.

Thanks.
    Last edited by hitmen; 10-16-2013, 06:17 AM.

Re: How to replace nec/tokin OE128 in laptop motherboard?

Just replace it with 4 capacitors 220uf or 330uf each

Comment

You have already had the answer?
      Re: Toshiba L500 power comes on, no display, no activity
      Quote: Originally Posted by hitmen
      Plz hlp.

if you want to replace that tokin capacitor you need to read this thread
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=tokin
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by robrock1 View Post
        Just replace it with 4 capacitors 220uf or 330uf each
        Thanks,
        But 4*220=880uf and
        4*330=1320uf. But i found that nec tokin OE128 caps is of 1200uf, 2.5v.
        Will these 4 caps not damge the other components of motherboard? (and also can i use simple caps like ceramics caps or ordinary electrolytic caps for this purpose which give 1200uf,2.5v? Or be used tantalum smd caps only?).
        If there is no risk to replace by these, which method i use to put these caps? Please give me a simple diagram of it with some details.Please.
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

My friend this is a very basic and simple job, check the other thread. Take the capacitors from another mainboard, remove the tokin cap, check where you have + and - and solder the new capacitors the right way, there is no need to ask so many questions, its just simple as 2+2

Comment

dear its so easy just replace capacitor with

4x SMD Tantalum Capacitor 330uf 2.5v below I attached 2 pictures you can see it and try to change same method
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to all.

Comment

Hye everyone !
                There is any risk to use laptop with damaged nec tokin?(whenever it start after many restartings, sometimes it start after 1hour restartings).
                Can i use it with damaged nec tokin until i can't replace it? Will this way of using laptop not damage other components of motherboard?
                Thanks.

Comment

Yes you can and I can tell you how.
                  That NEC Tonkin cap its foe CPU voltage.
                  If you disable from device manager in SAFE MODE the second core from the CPU it will run normally until you repair it but less performance from you laptop.
                  Good luck
                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                    Yes you can and I can tell you how.
                    That NEC Tonkin cap its foe CPU voltage.
                    If you disable from device manager in SAFE MODE the second core from the CPU it will run normally until you repair it but less performance from you laptop.
                    Good luck
                    Thank you for ur quick responses.
                    But, There is no option in device mgr in win xp to disable 2nd core,there is some options in which one is that uninstall, is this u mention?
                    Or I can select 1 processor in systen config utility, which we can access by these steps > 1. Go to "Start Menu.">
                    "Run".
                    2. Type "msconfig" in the "Open:"
                    field and select "OK." Click the
                    "Boot" tab next to "General."
                    Select "Advanced options..."
                    3. Check the box next to "Number of
                    processors." Select "1" from the
                    drop-down menu. Restart your computer for the change to take effect.

Is this same job? Is this disable 1st or 2nd core?
                    Last edited by hitmen; 10-17-2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Every notebook that has a Tokin cap has core2duo or x2 and CPU or dual core CPU.
                      In device manager on CPU section you need to disable on core.
                      Sry for the bad quality the tablet got a c***p camera
                      Attached Files
                      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                        Every notebook that has a Tokin cap has core2duo or x2 and CPU or dual core CPU.
                        In device manager on CPU section you need to disable on core.
                        Sry for the bad quality the tablet got a c***p camera
                        Bundl of thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by innocentforeign View Post
                          dear its so easy just replace capacitor with

4x SMD Tantalum Capacitor 330uf 2.5v below I attached 2 pictures you can see it and try to change same method
                          A lot of Thanks bro.

Comment

I tried twice to replace NEC/TOKIN, ended up with ruined motherboard and melted NEC/TOKIN. Disaster.
                            It is much wiser to solder regular el.cap.

Comment

from where i can found these caps? Mention some used devices/things.

Comment

Guys, don't try to remove the NEC Tokin cap with a heatgun - just pull it apart with pliers or similar instead. See: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8991

I've performed this repair on Toshiba L300s many times now. To remove the original tokin, I tape off the surrounding area, and have a good go at it with pliers. Then I use a very fine sewing needle to slide under the lower portions of the cap still soldered in place. The only thing you won't be able to remove should be the 4 thin metal strips surrounding (or 2 if you have the type with a common ground).

Then replace with decent low ESR caps as per the thread.

For OE907 (900uF) I use 3x330uF 2.5v 9mOhm ESR caps. Used to use 4x330uF but there's no need really. None of mine have failed yet (one had a RAM slot die but I think that may have been a different problem or damage while in storage)

For OE128 (1200uF) apparently you're meant to use 4x330uF 2.5v low ESR caps, but I see no reason why 2v caps would not work (though I haven't tried it personally - never seen an OE128 myself). These caps can usually be found next to the CPU on many AMD boards so check your scrap hardware!.

Check for continuity between the positive and negative strips after. If it boots but doesn't POST there is likely a bridge between them, or something else is wrong - use a multimeter to check the voltage between the two sides.
                                Last edited by spleenharvester; 10-19-2013, 01:08 PM.
                                Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                                  ... The only thing you won't be able to remove should be the 4 thin metal strips surrounding (or 2 if you have the type with a common ground).
                                  If you mean the solder strips left from the NEC/Tokin cap, I managed to peel these off the PCB solder pads using a small sharp flat blade jeweller's screwdriver. Prior to attempting this I removed as much solder as I could with a solder wick.
                                  I've only done one of these 0E128 repairs so I may have struck an easy one.

Comment

Thanks all.

I found some old PCBs. From where I found a capacitor. There is only written 330. I dont know how to find that it is 330uF and 2.5v because there is no written uF and voltages on it. And it is different in shape from above pic of innocentforeign.
                                    Please mention me.
                                    I attach the pic of it.

Comment

Originally posted by subXT View Post
                                      If you mean the solder strips left from the NEC/Tokin cap, I managed to peel these off the PCB solder pads using a small sharp flat blade jeweller’s screwdriver. Prior to attempting this I removed as much solder as I could with a solder wick.
                                      I’ve only done one of these 0E128 repairs so I may have struck an easy one.
                                      Lucky haha! I wouldn't want to risk doing that though in case it lifted the PCB with it.

Originally posted by hitmen View Post
                                      Thanks all.

I found some old PCBs. From where I found a capacitor. There is only written 330. I dont know how to find that it is 330uF and 2.5v because there is no written uF and voltages on it. And it is different in shape from above pic of innocentforeign.
                                      Please mention me.
                                      I attach the pic of it.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wkwZKxS.jpg[IMG]
                                      Nah that's not the right one matey I guarantee you. Buy yourself a cheap faulty HP 6735s motherboard or something similar with the tantalum caps shown earlier in the thread attached. Plenty of Socket S1G1/S1G2/C2D boards have 4 of these right by the CPU socket. If you're stuck for the money to buy new caps, you can just lift these ones off.
                                      Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

can i use any one like these? If i found 330 uF anyone like these? Please mention me.

Last edited by hitmen; 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X