Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSI CR400 no display

Hi Fddizon,
    The 10 caps with RS Stock No.GRM31CR60J107ME39L arrived to me 2 days ago and I don't really know the correct capacitance for each of these caps. Could you please tell me if there is a way to determine the correct capacitance of the 10 'Murata 100μF ±20% 6.3V dc X5R Dielectric Ceramic Multilayer Capacitor' that I had now? Does it necessary to check the polarities of the caps before I really proceed to install them on the correct terminals of the pads (+ or -) ?
    Attached Files
    "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
    -Napoleon Hill

"The chip that functions abnormally will be desoldered, as they say."
    -Charles Stross

"Why is it you're always too small or too tall?"
    -The Mad Hatter

Comment

Its clearly stated on the label. Capacitance value is 100uf. No polarity, so any orientation will do. Just make sure one end touches one pad and the other end to the other pad.
      Last edited by fddizon; 03-13-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

They are 100uF 6.3v ceramic capacitors : http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/M...k1crgPpDV82A==

The polarity doesn't matter with these capacitors.

I would like to point out that if you're trying to use these to replace electrolytic or tantalum capacitors that had polarity, you're making a mistake.

Ceramic capacitors are very sensible to voltage, the capacitance won't be 100uF at 5-6v... in fact they're probably going to be 70-80uF at 3.3-4v

Only use these if you had ceramic capacitors in the first place on the board.

Comment

i never tried replacing nec tokin chip with these ceramic capacitors but there are success testimonials on replacing nec tokin with ceramic caps on bad caps mega thread...

take a look at this... added some on the pads along with the original nec tokin chip

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1296545075

and this one too...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1304731178

much better

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=8991&page=12
          Last edited by fddizon; 03-13-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fddizon View Post
            i never tried replacing nec tokin chip with these ceramic capacitors but there are success testimonials on replacing nec tokin with ceramic caps on bad caps mega thread...

take a look at this... added some on the pads along with the original nec tokin chip

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1296545075

and this one too...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1304731178

much better

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=8991&page=12
            Hi Fddizon,
            These are the result of my MSI CR-400 laptop motherboard recapping. I have been using ten of "GRM31CR60J107ME39L CAPACITOR CERAMIC 100UF 6.3V" from RS-Component Malaysia . I will be testing the board by reflowing it using hot air pencil and possible to really get the ESR value for the newly soldered capacitors. Would like to know if any suggestions for reflowing it for further fine tuning or adjustment on the board before putting all the parts back together? Do you just recommend tool like Atlas LCR meter for getting the correct reading on the circuit?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by LENOVO-A880; 05-21-2014, 10:06 AM.
            "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
            -Napoleon Hill

"The chip that functions abnormally will be desoldered, as they say."
            -Charles Stross

"Why is it you're always too small or too tall?"
            -The Mad Hatter

Comment

Lenovo,

does the machine came back to life?

Comment

hi sir fddizon, having a problem here with msi cx420. for a friend of mine. his laptop goes auto shutdown when logo starting windows. was it the nec tokin problem? thanks

Comment

hi all

i have cr400 with no display, i have replace smd capacitor with 4 tantulum
                  capacitor(330uf), the display used to come by pressing sidescreen. after
                  few attempt the laptop smoked and goes earlier state (no display, power &
                  sleep led lighting).i have opened the board and checked capacitor were not burnt some
                  other component were black, i don't know the name.
                  please help what to replace now.
                  thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fddizon View Post
                    Hi,

when powered on, no display, fan spinning, power led is lit, sleep led is lit.
                    5v 3.3v alw are ok. coils near cpu has .01 and .02 volts.

what does this mean?
                    I would investigate why the computer is in sleep mode with the sleep led being lit? Is there a key combination to bring it out of sleep mode? Is the power supply settings in the control panel telling the computer to go to sleep because the battery may be low? What happens if the battery in taken out and only the adapter is connected?

Comment

Originally posted by kapilverma View Post
                      hi all

i have cr400 with no display, i have replace smd capacitor with 4 tantulum
                      capacitor(330uf), the display used to come by pressing sidescreen. after
                      few attempt the laptop smoked and goes earlier state (no display, power &
                      sleep led lighting).i have opened the board and checked capacitor were not burnt some
                      other component were black, i don't know the name.
                      please help what to replace now.
                      thanks
                      You need to post photos, show your work, the burnt components, and the area you were pressing on etc.

And what exactly were you pressing on the side? You may have shorted something out or there was maybe a bad solder joint in the area.
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                        You need to post photos, show your work, the burnt components, and the area you were pressing on etc.

And what exactly were you pressing on the side? You may have shorted something out or there was maybe a bad solder joint in the area.

you can see in the picture marked with circle fan rod is blacked out with
                        smoked generated from the register under it.
                        i don't know exactly from where smoke cames out, because the fan rod is
                        little black on the round, so i think register/transister under it may be burnt.
                        another picture shows the 4 tantulum capacitor replaces proadolizer capacitor.
                        thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

Your work with the capacitors looks pretty good, although it's hard to tell for sure with the photo not in focus, so I can't be sure if they are not backwards or there is some solder bridge or anything. Can you get clearer photos?

Going by the way the heatsink mounts in the previous photos posted in this thread, the curved part where the smoke is sits right over the MOSFETs that are part of the CPU VRM. There are six 8-pin parts there, you should check them all carefully, I bet one or more is blown.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                            Your work with the capacitors looks pretty good, although it's hard to tell for sure with the photo not in focus, so I can't be sure if they are not backwards or there is some solder bridge or anything. Can you get clearer photos?

Going by the way the heatsink mounts in the previous photos posted in this thread, the curved part where the smoke is sits right over the MOSFETs that are part of the CPU VRM. There are six 8-pin parts there, you should check them all carefully, I bet one or more is blown.
                            i didn't replace the capacitor myself, i have soldered by a motherboard repair technician.
                            regarding the cpu VRM part, leftmost mosfet seems blown, is display not coming from this smoked mosfet ?
                            which type of mosfet should be replace now
                            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kapilverma View Post
                              i didn't replace the capacitor myself, i have soldered by a motherboard repair technician.
                              regarding the cpu VRM part, leftmost mosfet seems blown, is display not coming from this smoked mosfet ?
                              which type of mosfet should be replace now
                              thanks
                              If the CPU VRM has a blown MOSFET, nothing is going to work because the CPU will not get any power.

The MOSFETs will have the numbers printed on them, write them here or take a photo showing them clearly.

But you may have more than just blown MOSFETs, if they blew that hard to cause smoke. VRM controller maybe blown too, if you're really unlucky it may have blown the CPU as well.
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

up for this ... google took me here ... mine also have no display check the cap and it has a crack.. cant post pic my phone cant upload pics

so if i replace these it should be 4 tantulum capacitor330uf with 2.5v? am i right?
                                does this caps are same with pc motherboards

Comment

I just fixed mine MSI cx420.

problem: auto shutdown when loading windows.

solution: replacing Nectokin with 4 330uf 2.5 tantalum caps.

and it works........
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rickybucalan View Post
                                    I just fixed mine MSI cx420.

problem: auto shutdown when loading windows.

solution: replacing Nectokin with 4 330uf 2.5 tantalum caps.

and it works........
                                    I was wondering if you would put a red circle around the caps in your pictures so other people can quickly find it. Also, you might state the value and amount of Nectokin Caps and then state you replaced them with a quantity of (4) 330uF 2.5 volt tantalum caps. This would make it clearer. Good for you, I always like to hear a success!

Comment

Working...
                                    X