X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer Windows-Key from bad BIOS to new BIOS

Hi,

the situation:

I get a laptop with bad bios (mostly DELL).
    Then I try to find and download a suitably ROM-File for that BIOS.
    Next I solder out the BIOS chip and read it in an external programmer.
    Sometimes in the new BIOS there is a Windows key included - so I overwrite the key with the one from my BIOS-extraction.
    Then I reprogram the chip with the BIOS I found here.
    In most cases windows is working with my original key.

But the most ROM-Files contain no windows key.
    And later if I check in Windows I get the information "Unable to open MSDM table".

My question:
    Is it possible to transfer the information from the bad ROM to the working ROM?

Re: Transfer Windows-Key from bad BIOS to new BIOS

i asked same on MyDigitalLife (thay made cotribution to win7 activator) but never got replay

sometimes keys can be extracted from working machine and inserted with phoenixtool (slic2.1, win7 key) but for win10 i never found solution

if you want to experiment you can send me 2 working bios, with key and without key so we can try to make it

lots of time and reflashing will be needed
    Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Its always best to try and repair the original bios to preserve any windows keys,and dmi info. Win 7 oem keys and slic table can be edited in with a hex editor or phoenixtool.Win 8 keys,if any,with hex editor. Laptops with win 7,8 that were upgraded to win 10 will have a digital entitlement key,you can find that key with ShowKeyPlus .
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I can pull out the key if the DMI table around it is damaged.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Quite old topic, but any progress - maybe different topic? I've got DELL Optiplex 9020 with physical sticker and would like to "transfer" it into BIOS

Comment

Originally posted by tahc81 View Post
            Quite old topic, but any progress - maybe different topic? I've got DELL Optiplex 9020 with physical sticker and would like to "transfer" it into BIOS
            i think you must post your question here : https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15
            Last edited by piernov; 09-09-2022, 10:51 AM. Reason: correct section

Comment

Working...
            X