• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Envy 15 cannot charge battery!

Originally posted by grahamw01 View Post
    resistances are as follows:

new motherboard pin 1 to pin: 2: 10kohms, 3: 5kohms, 4: 5 kohms, 5: 12Mohms

old motherboard pin 1 to pin: 2: 10kohms, 3: 5kohms, 4: 5kohms, 5: 10kohms

so, checked with 2 multi meters. I think there is no connection, or extremely high resistance of 12 Mohms
    Ok. Put battery ON and check voltages PIN1 - PIN5 and try use ground somewhere else place.
    Last edited by Tuomo; 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomo View Post
      Ok. Put battery ON and check voltages PIN1 - PIN5 and try use ground somewhere else place.
      0V, but every 15-17 seconds there is a spike of 1.5V then it drains back to 0..

Comment

0V, but every 15-17 seconds there is a spike of 1.5V then it drains back to 0..
        Check connector pins which contact to battery.

Check voltages on all PINS and use metal part as ground.

PIN1 is directly connected to battery so if it touch battery + there is 12V.

Remove PQ3 and measure again.

Comment

Yea, the pin are in contact, i even bent them slightly so they definitely were, but like I said there is 0V.. tried lots of metal parts for ground, USB casing etc..

Like I said, the voltage is 0V, every 15 seconds there is 1.5V spike, no voltage on any pins

Comment

Anyway, I tried to switch PU11 again just in case and I have removed pin 13 pad.. oops! I think it is time I gave up now..

Comment

Yea, the pin are in contact, i even bent them slightly so they definitely were, but like I said there is 0V.. tried lots of metal parts for ground, USB casing etc..

Like I said, the voltage is 0V, every 15 seconds there is 1.5V spike, no voltage on any pins
              Stange, try measure groud to all pins. There is short but where.

Can you measure battery directly pin 1 and pin 5 ?

And one more time put battery other motherboard.

After that have to remove possible trouble parts.

PR88, PR89, PR90, PR91, PQ3

Verify resistances PQ3 etc. with other motherboard.

Touch if any chip getting hot or warming up.
              Last edited by Tuomo; 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Stange, try measure groud to all pins. There is short but where.

Can you measure battery directly pin 1 and pin 5 ?

And one more time put battery other motherboard.

After that have to remove possible trouble parts.

PR88, PR89, PR90, PR91, PQ3

Verify resistances PQ3 etc. with other motherboard.

Touch if any chip getting hot or warming up.
                Like I said I have just destroyed a pad on PU11 now, I can never fix this.. I think its time to accept it is not going to to work again

Comment

Thank you for all your help with this, I really appreciate it and I think you were close to a solution before I short circuited it and then pulled a pad off

I don't think there is any reviving it now so I a putting an end to it.

Thanks again..

Comment

Thank you for all your help with this, I really appreciate it and I think you were close to a solution before I short circuited it and then pulled a pad off

I don't think there is any reviving it now so I a putting an end to it.

Thanks again..
                    ok

Comment

Hello again,

sorry to bring this topic back, but I bought another new motherboard for the laptop, and unbelievable I have some similar problems BUT not the same..

I believe this time the motherboard is not at fault.

So what happens now is this;

Laptop works fine just on charger

laptop will charge battery when turned off, or in BIOS or just before windows loads.

THE PROBLEM: Just instantly before the welcome screen of Windows shows, the laptop powers off without warning when either ONLY the battery or battery and charger are connected.

I can charge the battery no problem in bios, and the laptop will not turn off. I am currently running HP System Extensive Test which is an available option during BIOS. The charger is plugged in with battery, and happily charging the battery at the same time.

I have had a similar problem a long time ago with a very old laptop of mine, I think it was a HP I am not sure. The laptop would not charge the battery and just turn off instantly when the charger and battery were in together just before windows loaded. I believe it was a common problem with dual core processors, and running the laptop in safe mode or disabling 1 core would fix the problem.

I have not tried either running in safe mode or disabling any cores as of yet, as the laptop is busy doing its testing, but I will try as soon as it has finished.

has anyone got any ideas please??

Thanks!

Comment

Okay just managed to have a little play,

Windows booted fine in safe mode with charger and battery, I went into device manager and disabled 7 cores and left 1 running. I restarted the laptop and windows booted fine, and amazing for the first time in months I saw "86% plugged in, charging"!

So I went into device manager and enabled the cores 1 by 1, as I got to the 8th core as soon as I clicked enable I got a blue screen saying "driver IRQL not less or equal"

I removed the battery and tried again and got the same error. So now I went back into safe mode and enabled all the cores and restarted, now the laptop just turns off when trying to load windows regardless of the battery being in or not!

Comment

So far I have tried to remove graphics drivers as I read this on another website.. All this does it instead of showing "driver irql not less or equal" error, it just turns off instantly when 8th core is enabled.

I updated the bios and reinstalled chipset drivers - still same problem.

Currently I am running the laptop fine on 7 cores, but obviously there is a problem I would like to fix.

Thanks

Comment

Hi, very good information in this thread. Before starting a new one, I'd like to ask what do you think about this. I own an Envy 15 1100cto refurb which stopped charging after ~1 year of use. It originally came with a 65w ac adapter, but after reading the users guide, i learned that the i7 ver needs a 120w ac adapter, so i bought a LiteOn generic adapter which worked perfectly out of the box. A year later, my battery was about to end so I went and plugged the laptop, but it didn't start charging (no amber nor white light, just nothing). Took the laptop and the adapter to some pc service and they said the adapter's low voltage wire was cut and fixed it. The lappy went back to life for a week or so. Again, the same problem. No light. Took the adapter back and the guy said the adapter was fine, and that they couldnt check anything else. Bought a new OEM adapter which worked like 4 o 5 minutes and then the same. So I disassembled the envy and found that the smart pin voltage drops to 0 when I plug it. Is this normal? What else can I check?
                            Any clues?
                            Thanks in advance

Comment

So far I have tried to remove graphics drivers as I read this on another website.. All this does it instead of showing "driver irql not less or equal" error, it just turns off instantly when 8th core is enabled.

I updated the bios and reinstalled chipset drivers - still same problem.

Currently I am running the laptop fine on 7 cores, but obviously there is a problem I would like to fix.

Thanks
                              Why dont you try using this modded bios that deactivates the Hyperthreading feature (when enabled, this gets the CPU warmer and kills battery faster). You won't notice any performance impact, and your Envy will run cooler.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45117524/bio...ByCamiloml.exe

Reset to defaults before and after flashing.

Comment

Working...
                              X