Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vishay, Yageo - What are these capacitors like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vishay, Yageo - What are these capacitors like?

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...duct&R=4406632

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...duct&R=1670105

They don't sell any of the rubbish brands as far as I know so I expect that these aren't too bad either.

But does anyone have any experience with the quality of these? Or even what the are usually used in?

Because I have never actually seen them in any piece of electronic equipment!
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Vishay, Yageo - What are these capacitors like?

Well your best friend is probably the spec sheet. Find out what capacitors it stacks up with in terms of ESR and ripple compared to the common capacitors that are recommended on these boards. Ones like the Panasonic FM and FC, Nichicon HE, Rubycon MBZ etc.

I know Vishay are well known for producing semi-conductors like BJT's and MOSFET's and small IC chips. No idea about their caps thou.

Comment

ESR I didn't look at but ripple is about a third of what the Panasonic of the same value can handle.

According to the spec sheet, they are just general purpose capacitors, which would explain it.

I don't think they even tell you the ESR. So probably not useful anyway, even if they are good quality.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

General Purpose capacitors have much lower ripple than equivalent low esr capacitors. And yes, ESR is not always shown in general purpose capacitor spec. sheets.

In short, these capacitors are not good enough for use on most computer equipment. General purpose capacitors do have their uses (and these are probably good GP caps). However not so useful on say a motherboard.

Comment

vishay make some of the best caps in the world, but not for low-esr high frequency usage.

they make really good long-life high ripple stuff for Linear psu repair though.

Comment

vishay also makes diodes and some semiconductor stuff (power stuff).

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Yageo are teapo. Yageo is the world's largest producer of resistors, they bought teapo a while back.

Comment

Being Teapo and owning Teapo are different, though...

Maybe the quality of Teapo will improve under new management?

Or maybe they can get Teapo to make their capacitors for them, for cheaper
                -David VanHorn

Comment

They've owned them for quite some time. They definitely have teapo make their caps, vents are the same, series are the same, colors are the same, even the font is the same, just different names.

I think yageo is one of the major reasons of teapo's seemingly steady rise in quality, at least to me they are no longer "replace on site" in power supplies, but I've never seen them on a newer motherboard other than their poly's.

Comment

Working...
                  X