Is this bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Supplies

I got an Antec SL350 (350W ATX) on sale at Best Buy for $39.99, with which I have been very pleased. I just checked their web page, and they list it at $64.99. I was told by the salesman in the Best Buy store that they were being clearanced out (they actually had to order it for me), so you might go in and ask your local BB salesperson and see what (s)he has to say.

Comment

I saw a 600w on Newegg for ~$35. Any good?

EDIT: Got the URL. http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817162111
      Last edited by Chris1992; 04-28-2005, 01:22 PM.
      The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

did you figure out if the psu is the prob? $35 buy you some nice caps.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

i have released the pins on a new psu with a molex tool and rearranged them to match the hell psu.
          read that yellow cap.
          just because the others near it are 220uf doesnt mean these are too.
          i dont remember bu iirc the f logo is fairchild.

Comment

Clarification on PSU Molex Mobo terminal connector.

Pretty much all manufacturers use the standard connector but in proprietary brands it is usually WIRED DIFFERENTLY. The only way to tell for sure is to test it with a voltmeter or if you are very lucky there may be a reference in your manual.

Warning: If you use a different standard, you could destroy your motherboard and or power supply unit the moment you turn it on.

Here are some sites: (Note that wiring colours may differ from brand to brand so don't get confused)

http://pinouts.ru/data/atxpower_pinout.shtml

http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/447.html

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Workshop/advice/conns/connPSU.html

Neo.

Comment

560uF 4v (the cap). And my confuser now boots up and is stable. Just had to clear CMOS and take out my Linksys wireless card. Thanks for the clarification, Neo. Now i just need to borrow a DVM....

Comment

speedfan does not work on the dell boards...

but if you look for the PLL IC...CPUFSB will probably have a similar series IC in the list...it works with my DELL workstation for overclocking, no hardware monitoring though.

MD
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Overclocking? I thought p4 can't be overclocked. And what does a nostril-burning ammonia smell signify?

Comment

i have replaced a bunch of those in asus a7vxx boards.
                    the vent makes it look like a sanyo but the f logo gives it away.
                    thanks KC8, you have made me realise there is a lot more recapping to do.

Comment

What does a nostril-burning ammonia smell signify? Not that it's coming from my Dell. It isn't. I opened up a case a Socket7 AT board was in and that smell came rushing out to greet me.

Comment

well, topcat does specifiy an ammonia smell as failing caps. personally i was using a computer at work for quite a while in the early days and several people were telling me my desk stinks. it was the caps in the end lol, nice Lelons, we love those caps indeed. i cant smell that good i guess.

i have also seen cheap chinese psus to smell pretty bad from new and a cheap philips tft in the rackmount cabinet was making a godawful smell from new. had me checking all the servers worried that something was gonna burn.

i would definitely check the caps on that system...they are prolly dying of old age heh....anyway sniff about, see what component is most smelly. lol its gonna be fun heh
                        Last edited by willawake; 05-02-2005, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Actually, that machine went into the PCB shredder quite some time ago. About half of the caps blew up and it was such an old comp (Socket 3 actually) that nobody wanted to recap it.

Comment

Almost a month has passed, but I got the NIC Components catalogue (shipped in a big box -- I thought they were sending me something else) and I would like to know if it would be okay to replace the Fujitsu yellow caps with NIC 560uF 4v NSPZR? The ordering part # is NSPZR 561 M 4v 8x11.5
                            TIA all

Comment

i cannot find application notes on the yellow fujitsu caps. i am guessing that they are more efficient than normal electrolytics, therefore it will probably be best to use 1000uf 6.3V caps. anybody else have the same opinion?

Comment

But that'd be replacing polymer caps with polymer. (My scenario) NIC NSPZR are polymer, right?

Comment

whoops, here's me being superficial again.........

yeh, they look GREAT.

straight replacements i guess. 8mm also so you will have no probs. where are you gonna get them from?

Comment

If NIC themselves don't handle small ~3-part orders, I'm screwed. I actually dunno where I'm going to get them....

Comment

If you go to www.niccomp.com, there is a menu board on the left side that includes the category "Sales Channels". You can then click on a map of the world, then U.S., then by state.

@Chris1992: Where on the mitten do you live? I'm originally from Battle Creek.

Comment

personally i dont think that there is such a great need to replace the yellow polymers on your board with other polymers. they used some goofy 220uf 25v for cost reasons and then they slap in a few fujitsu polymer to try to make good. it will prolly be ok with normal electrolytics. if you get some rubycon mbz off topcat they will prolly be 8mm at that value and it should work great. After all you are probably not overclocking so there is not so much a need for ultimate caps. mbz are pretty damn good anyway with great low esr. check with tc to see what values he recommends to replace. you should still get a post and at least some minimal stability even with the worst new caps. if not then you have other problems on that board.
                                        Last edited by willawake; 05-27-2005, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Re: Is this bad?

@Will: MBZ at ~1000uF or 560uF? @AK0R: I'm from Flint.

Comment

Working...
                                          X