Dell 1707FPc - 2 Seconds to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 1707FPc - 2 Seconds to Black

Picked this up from the body shop at my job at an auto dealership. Very dusty atmosphere; lots of dust had made its way into the PCB.

Monitor powers up for 2 seconds, then goes black. Edit: Image IS viewable with a flashlight.

I opened the case, removed the inverter board, and re-flowed the solder on the inverter transformers, and checked caps. No bulges.

Next I unplugged 3 out of the 4 lamps, testing one lamp at a time. I get the same 2 seconds to black behavior with 3 out of the 4. One of them won't light at all.

I suspect that I have a failed CCFL? Before I crack the LCD open to examine the CCFL in question, is there anything else I should be concerned with?
    Last edited by smalltownguy; 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM. Reason: double checked image with brighter light...it's there.

Re: Dell 1707FPc - 2 Seconds to Black

Originally posted by smalltownguy View Post
    Picked this up from the body shop at my job at an auto dealership. Very dusty atmosphere; lots of dust had made its way into the PCB.

Monitor powers up for 2 seconds, then goes black. Edit: Image IS viewable with a flashlight.

I opened the case, removed the inverter board, and re-flowed the solder on the inverter transformers, and checked caps. No bulges.

Next I unplugged 3 out of the 4 lamps, testing one lamp at a time. I get the same 2 seconds to black behavior with 3 out of the 4. One of them won't light at all.

I suspect that I have a failed CCFL? Before I crack the LCD open to examine the CCFL in question, is there anything else I should be concerned with?
    Some inverters are dependent on having 2 ccfls hooked up to complete a circuit.
    The fact that you have 1 ccfl that does not light may suggest a problem; Try the ccfl that will not light in the other sockets, See if it will light in any of the others.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Don't get confused, All 4 lamp sockets..ie 2 complete CCFL assemblies,must be plugged in, for the Monitor to work properly,IF IT CAN.So as I imagine you have not got a good test lamp assembly,all you can really do is change both the lamp assemblies over from one pair of sockets to the other pair, and then compare the results.

Comment

This monitor has a sister at the dealership, same model. So I will bring her home and start swapping parts to see where the program migrates. In the mean time, I'll try plugging the suspect CCFL into a different socket and see if it will fire.

Comment

This monitor has a sister at the dealership, same model. So I will bring her home and start swapping parts to see where the program migrates. In the mean time, I'll try plugging the suspect CCFL into a different socket and see if it will fire.
          If you can post (NOT inline, but use "manage attachments") some nice clear photos, of the entire power board top and bottom, it will allow members to see what you're seeing and suggest what to check.

Comment

I brought the sister of this monitor to the test bench tonight.

I unplugged the suspect CCFL from the dead monitor and plugged in a good one from the working monitor.

She fired right up, all 4 sockets illuminating 3 in the dead monitor, and 1 CCFL in the working one.

So, I'm 99% sure that the issue here is a broken/cracked/bad CCFL. Looks like I'll be taking the screen apart on this one to repair it.

I've attached a picture of the top of the inverter board for reference purposes, though I've already tested it in both monitors and it's working just fine in both monitors.

I'll report back once I crack open the screen on this one.
            Attached Files

Comment

Keep in mind just cause they're not bulging doesn't mean they're not bad. I had a few Dell monitors like this where people keep the brightness to 100% and dried up the capacitors. Most common solutions that I've run into is just capacitors and cold soldering, nothing else more complicated than that (knock on wood).

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
                Keep in mind just cause they're not bulging doesn't mean they're not bad. I had a few Dell monitors like this where people keep the brightness to 100% and dried up the capacitors. Most common solutions that I've run into is just capacitors and cold soldering, nothing else more complicated than that (knock on wood).
                Oh, I'm not opposed to swapping caps if I have to. It's just that in this case the issue seems be a failed CCFL. The monitor wasn't too tough to decase, so if I need to go back in later to replace a few caps that stray out of value, I'm not worried. But no need to fix things that aren't broke for now

Comment

I took apart the LCD tonight, and look what I found:

Well, that confirms that. Looks like it's off to ccfl warehouse I go.

Comment

Good job on finding the problem.

For future reference, please post pictures here using the manage attachments button and please do not post inline. Thanks.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Understood. Because this picture showed detail that was tough to see unless it was viewed in a larger format, I chose to hotlink it. But to preserve the image for the thread in case photobucket ever goes down....

Image attached.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Replacement lamp assembly arrived today. CCFL warehouse was quick to ship, and did a good job packaging the item.

Putting the replacement CCFL assembly in wasn't too tough. Hardest part about the whole job was that my display wasn't very user friendly to open. I've opened displays before that had an aluminum 'channel' that you could slide out once you removed one screw at the end of the lamp assembly. Not so with this one - I had to take apart the whole display. Unfortunately there's just no where to go with an LCD glass once it's off to keep dust off of it. I tried to keep as much dust away as possible, but one or two flakes still got in. There's also a slight cloud of moisture trapped in the panel now, but I have a feeling that'll burn off after a few hours. Otherwise she looks good!

Hooray! One repaired monitor.

Total cost: $29.95 in parts, and about 3 hours of labor (including internet research, and diagnosis.)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by smalltownguy; 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM. Reason: removed hotlinked images. That should keep the mods happy :)

Comment

Understood
                          Good job on the repair.
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sorry about that -- post fixed

Comment

This one landed on my bench again this week. Looks like the caps have finally dried up enough to cause problems. User tells me that he can use the monitor for a while, then it will go dim and he can sometimes get it back on by cycling the power a few times, but usually once the problem begins, it cannot be stopped without leaving the monitor off for several hours.

Sounds like bad caps to me.

Since Christmas is right around the corner and I have an ESR meter on my list, I'll wait a few days to begin troubleshooting this one again. It'll be a good project to test my new meter on. Let's hope that Santa thinks I've been good this year.

Comment

Got my ESR meter for christmas, and all the caps on the inverter board check out OK on this model.

I also brought home a matching monitor from work and began swapping in CCFL's to the good monitor to see if one of them causes problems.

I believe I've narrowed the issue down to one problematic CCFL. With this particular bulb, it fires up with a red tint (presumably not fully lit) and slowly, over the course of about 15 seconds, turns the screen from a red tint to a white tint, signifying that the bulb is fully lit. It also flickers.

I tried hooking the monitor up to a signal to see if I could get the bulb to flicker enough to go out, which is what the original symptom was described as, but I could not repeat the problem. I ran out of time.

I will do some more testing tonight to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Comment

it fires up with a red tint
                                  A red or pink tint indicates the bulb is near the final stages of death.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    A red or pink tint indicates the bulb is near the final stages of death.
                                    Thanks for that - it's what I suspect too.

Who knows where the least expensive place is to get just a bare bulb? I'm not opposed to spending $25 on a CCFL assembly for this monitor again if I have to, but if I can get just a bulb in my hands for under $10, I'll go that route.

Comment

Who knows where the least expensive place is to get just a bare bulb?
                                      Try ccflwarehouse.com, ccfldirect.com, and/or ebay. Check out the clearance/surplus section in the first two.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The full harnessed assembly for my monitor is on sale for $19.99, so I chose to go that route. I'll report back when I get the parts.

Comment

Working...
                                        X