Gateway FPD2185W - what caps to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2185W - what caps to use?

Hey everybody, I have a FPD2185W that my friend gave for me to fix and I've seen the link Digikey.ca come up a few times to order replacement capacitors.

Now I am far from technical when it goes with electronic components so I'm not sure what I have to order from them.

The main power board as you guys know has 8 medium capacitors, and 2 big ones.

All seem to be labelled as SAMXON, which has had a past history of bad caps.
    There are also 3 smaller capacitors on the display board.

Now, the 8 on the power board, 7 feel bad by touching the top and noticing them curving, but I would replace the 8th one regardless.

The two big main ones, they seem fine, nothing wrong with the tops. Would they still be worth replacing?

The 3 on the video board seem okay, but one has me slightly concerned.

here are the numbers on each of the series of caps.

8 med caps = Samxon 470uf25v
    2 large caps = Samxon 68uf450v
    3 small caps = 470uf16v

here are the pics of them

Any ideas what kind caps do I need? what brand?

i've uploaded a video also of the dissasembly, and will make another video of the repair and final outcome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2FLZkBJfR4

Thank you!

Re: Gateway FPD2185W - what caps to use?

Originally posted by techtips View Post
    Any ideas what kind caps do I need? what brand?
    1) Please use the manage attachments button to post your pictures so they are hosted here.

2) Please do not post inline as they slow down loading of images and cause all kinds of grief on smaller netbook displays.

3) Follow PlainBill's instructions on how to order Panasonic FM or FR caps from digikey.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2

Use Panasonic FC is FM or FR are not in stock.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you do a search you'll see a few people (including me) have repaired this model.
      Do ALL the caps on the power/inverter board, except the 2 450v ones.

I would do the 3 on the main board as well. I did mine with Panasonic FM series and it's been working great for quite a while now.
      P.S. Where are you located?
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
        If you do a search you'll see a few people (including me) have repaired this model.
        Do ALL the caps on the power/inverter board, except the 2 450v ones.

I would do the 3 on the main board as well. I did mine with Panasonic FM series and it's been working great for quite a while now.
        P.S. Where are you located?

Thanks guys, will fix up the thread in a few moments.

do you mean the 3 smaller ones? the 470uf16v???

I'm in London Ontario

Comment

Thanks guys, will fix up the thread in a few moments.

do you mean the 3 smaller ones? the 470uf16v???

I'm in London Ontario
          Yes those 3. Imho, Digikey.ca is your best bet, though shipping is $8.00 flat rate overnight, no other options. I usually order $60-$80 worth of stuff so $8.00 isn't bad, it's a bit much fot $7.00 worth of caps though...
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
            Yes those 3. Imho, Digikey.ca is your best bet, though shipping is $8.00 flat rate overnight, no other options. I usually order $60-$80 worth of stuff so $8.00 isn't bad, it's a bit much fot $7.00 worth of caps though...

I have a question, I've been told above not to replace the 2 larger 68uf450v capacitors, but while browsing this thread I came across this post:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...PD2185W&page=2

by bluto:

You will need the following caps for the powersupply:
            (all listed are Panasonic FC) followed by Digikey part number

8x 470uf 25v P10275-ND
            2x 220uf 25v P10271-ND
            1x 47uf 25v P10267-ND
            1x 10uf 50v P10316-ND

For the display board:

3x 470uf 16v P10247-ND

I'm just wondering if there is a reason he ordered a 47uf 25v and a 10uf 50v instead of the origional 68uf450v???

I followed PlainBill's guide and on digikey I was presented with information such as: Tolerance, lifetime @ temp, Operating temp, features, ripplecurrent etc...

would following the list that Bluto posted be good enough to order?

Sorry, I'm quite new with this

Comment

I'm just wondering if there is a reason he ordered a 47uf 25v and a 10uf 50v instead of the origional 68uf450v???

It is not uncommon for manufacturers to change board revisions and designs while keep the lcd same part number. That is why we always recommended listing and measuring your own board for cap replacements.

I followed PlainBill's guide and on digikey I was presented with information such as: Tolerance, lifetime @ temp, Operating temp, features, ripplecurrent etc...
              For PlainBill's instructions, just pick Panasonic FM or FR caps. The list should then narrow down to 1 or 2 choices.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                For PlainBill's instructions, just pick Panasonic FM or FR caps.
                FC
                There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050
                  2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I have a question, I've been told above not to replace the 2 larger 68uf450v capacitors, but while browsing this thread I came across this post:

by bluto:

8x 470uf 25v P10275-ND
                  2x 220uf 25v P10271-ND
                  1x 47uf 25v P10267-ND
                  1x 10uf 50v P10316-ND

For the display board:

3x 470uf 16v P10247-ND

Diferent roles entirely. Those 450v caps are for the rectified line input. Those 25v/50v units are elsewhere in the circuit. Apples, oranges.

Don't EVER assume that someone else's list is exactly what you require. You need to do your own homework.
                  Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

All seem to be labelled as SAMXON, which has had a past history of bad caps.
                    pretty much only the light green (usually) Samxon GF series.
                    they drop like flies.. haven't had any problems with other series so far.
                    they're pretty common in LG LCD monitors.. unfortunately :/

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
                      Don't EVER assume that someone else's list is exactly what you require. You need to do your own homework.
                      I've done the homework as far as I can, I was just wondering why he was using two different specs for the main big caps then mine, but then again I didn't think of the manufacturer changing things around in certain revisions.

I'll have to order the replacements for what I see inside of mine

edit: just placed order for:

P10247-ND CAP 470UF 16V ELECT FC RADIAL
                      P10271-ND CAP 220UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL
                      P10275-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL

I've ordered a few extra incase any problems arise.

Comment

I'll have to order the replacements for what I see inside of mine.
                        Exactly.
                        Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

by bluto:

8x 470uf 25v P10275-ND
                          2x 220uf 25v P10271-ND
                          1x 47uf 25v P10267-ND
                          1x 10uf 50v P10316-ND

For the display board:

3x 470uf 16v P10247-ND

Sorry, I'm quite new with this

I just took a look at your post and so I apologize if you have already ordered. The caps listed in Bluto's thread are correct. The qty 1-47uF25V and qty 1-10uF50V are the two little caps adjacent to the QTY-2 large 68uF450V caps. They serve completely different roles. If you are ordering from digikey anyway, I would suggest that you also order qty-2 AOD417 (replacement for AOD405) and qty-2 AOD484 (replacement for AOD408) mosfets which are often toast on this board. You will find these when you do a search in Digikey.
                          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=785-1114-1-ND
                          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=785-1106-1-ND

Comment

Working...
                          X