• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I avoid Gigabyte

Looks perfect, mainly Rubycon with some G-Luxon

But won't P.O.S.T. - with or without battery fitted

Possibly corrupted firmware in BIOS chip

Any other board, pull the chip and rewrite with EEPROM burner

Not an option with Gigabyte - they save what ? - maybe 5 cents per board, by soldering it direct

Another Gigabyte to be cannibalised !
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Why I avoid Gigabyte

Is the chipset fried by any chance? That would also cause what you said.

I had a board similar to that one also by Gigabyte with a fried ICH5 southbridge and it exhibited the same issues. Fans would run but no POST.

It too had Rubycon, Sanyo, Nichicon and G-Luxon caps on it.

One sign that it was running was the fans spinning and the incredibly hot southbridge chipset.

And yes, I also avoid Gigabyte boards because I've had a variety of boards from them which are utter crap.

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 09-06-2008, 05:02 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

The board is probably dead. A failed northbridge or southbridge is probably the problem.

I've had good experiences with GIGABYTE motherboards actually.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Southbridge does not go over mildly warm - not the problem where you can burn your finger after a few seconds

My issue with Gigabyte is when you do have corrupted BIOS firmware, there's nothing you can do about it, unlike most other makes, even cheapies like Jetway and PC Chips where the BIOS chip is socketed
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

yawn
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Perhaps you need to consider the current Gigabyte boards. In terms of bios they have dual bios so if one is corrupted the board will auto boot off the other. A leader in multiphase power and solid caps.
            Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
            Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
            160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
            Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
            160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
            Samsung 18x DVD writer
            Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
            33 way card reader
            Windows XP Pro SP3
            Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
            17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
            HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Is dual bios really works?
              days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

that board is known for failures in between layers under the nic or i/o chips.
                i have several in my scrap box.
                look for bubbling or discoloration under the chips.
                they also stink when they die.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                  that board is known for failures in between layers under the nic or i/o chips.
                  i have several in my scrap box.
                  look for bubbling or discoloration under the chips.
                  they also stink when they die.
                  Wow, I didn't know that failures between layers actually exist. I thought they were a myth. I guess I have now been proven wrong.

As for discolouration of boards. I have seen many boards like that. In particular, Gigabyte boards. Though I have a Trigem board here with a similar issue as well. Usually they discolour under chipsets or MOSFETS probably due to the excessive heat those components emit.
                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Poorly cooling with or without heatsink or using wrong TIM or not enough copper plane in ounces per inch.

I had a MSI board (socket 462 athlon) with MOSFET array (mosfet pull up x 3 and mosfet pull down to ground x 2), all gauged together by one controller IC, I THOUGHT it was 2 or 3 phase but it is NOT, just push-pull! Because it was hidden under a orange heatsink soldered down with double sided sticker tape. NO TIM! It went into trash after parts yanked off. VIA chipset also. Was working pull but wasn't 100% perfect. Occasionally annoyances.

Cheers, Wizard
                    Last edited by Wizard; 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Yes dual bios does actually work. It happened to me last week. The bios had an error and boot was stopped with an error message then the system booted on the second bios. After that experience I reflashed the bios to make sure that I did not run out of bios.
                      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                      Samsung 18x DVD writer
                      33 way card reader
                      Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Looks like HM ?? on the board too??
                        i845GV was a bad time/vintage to have HM's.

Gigabyte is same as Asus in my eyes. - Average.
                        Some good, some junk.

I have two GA-8IPE1000MK in service ~ a year and they are doing fine.
                        One had KZG in VRM Vcore side - replaced with MBZ as precaution before service.
                        Other had MBZ on Vcore as original.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by davmax
                          Yes dual bios does actually work. It happened to me last week. The bios had an error and boot was stopped with an error message then the system booted on the second bios. After that experience I reflashed the bios to make sure that I did not run out of bios.
                          You make it sound like it's a commodity.
                          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Every GIGABYTE motherboard has the dual BIOS feature. IIRC, older GIGABYTE motherboard had two physical BIOS chips, but now on some motherboards (primarily the cheaper ones) it is "Virtual Dual BIOS" which works in a similar way but I don't see two physical BIOS chips on my GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G motherboard.

IIRC, the newer motherboards (primarily the "Ultra Durable" series) still have the original Dual BIOS.
                            Last edited by Newbie2; 09-10-2008, 02:48 PM.
                            My gaming PC:
                            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

not really...

D = Ultra Durable (II)
                              L = Lite version of the board/bios
                              R = onboard RAID

i've got a (dead) G33-DS2R board. one 8MBit (1MByte) bios chip -> "virtual Dual-BIOS".
                              my new board (P35-DS4 Rev.2.0) has 2 chips... so a "real" Dual-BIOS

and it works fine
                              tried to put a new picture for the BIOS process (instead of the POST) in there with the gigabyte tool..

but the picture was somehow corrupted.. irfanview could still open it, but there was something wrong with it.. (but not the resolution or color depth)

well.. flashed the new bios.. no post... nothing...
                              turned off & on again.. waited a few seconds and it told me not to shut down the comp. because the backup bios is copied to the main bios chip...
                              after a "soft reboot" everything worked fine again...

Comment

My current board has two seperate chips. I am wondering if the single package boards have two bios chips in that package.

I do have some Gigabyte concerns
                                1. The CPU temp reads low in bios eg 16C for 18C ambient with the base of the heatsink at 25C!!!!
                                2. My ICH10 chip runs at 50C with 18C ambient. Plenty of system fans. Not one on this chip, YET.
                                3. My other Gigabyte board had a memory controller error. Did not matter what memory modules were used or in what slot, always the same error. Replacing the board with my current one removed the problem. The faulty board is being claimed under warranty. Because the turn round is too long it forces the purchase of another board and sale of the warranty return.
                                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                33 way card reader
                                Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Originally posted by davmax
                                  Replacing the board with my current one removed the problem. The faulty board is being claimed under warranty. Because the turn round is too long it forces the purchase of another board and sale of the warranty return.
                                  I know exactly what you mean. I put my Gigabyte GA-8i945P-G motherboard into repair last year and it took 2 months to come back. Once it came back it was in a worse condition than before (even though it booted this time through). What they had done was melt the plastics in various sections of my board. I got fed up and bought an Intel DP965LT instead. Never been happier after that move. The new Intel board just.... works.

Thanks.

Comment

I picked up several Intel D875PBZ boards on a recommendation from Will... great boards. They are obsolete now, no longer leading edge performers. But.. they seem to just run forever. For business machine use, one can't ask for more.

Comment

i have enjoyed gigabyte's new ultra durable boards, mainly the P35 ones and the MA790X or MA790FX ones. the AMD chipset ones really do have physical dual bios, which are socketed on the many builds i have used. One time a customer was flashing his bios in the middle of a storm (yeah not too smart, but he kind of lost track of time) and the first one got corrupted. booted up, said there was a problem with the first bios and proceeded to boot from the second. i think it reflashed by itself. seems cool to me.

to the OP, a lot of those 845 chipset boards (not just gigabyte) seem to have problems with the southbridge burning up.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                                        I picked up several Intel D875PBZ boards on a recommendation from Will... great boards. They are obsolete now, no longer leading edge performers. But.. they seem to just run forever. For business machine use, one can't ask for more.
                                        I agree with you on that one. Intel made boards run practically forever. I've never had one dead before. I even have an Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard from 1997 still running well until today.... and that's powering an internet firewall.

Comment

Working...
                                        X