Sceptre X9G-Komodo II* blinking power light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sceptre X9G-Komodo II* blinking power light

Well I am going to have to replace a diode I dammaged lifting it up to measure
    here is a pitcure of it. the marking on it are s4 3b.
    if i could find the spec i would use an axiel lead if need be.
    Any ideas?
    Al.
    Attached Files
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I had Sceptre X9G Komodo IV same problem, when monitor had power the powerlight blinking about 5min & monitor turn on ok long the had 110 VAC hook up the monitor, if I'm disconnect power had go same steps above again
      I open can't find any caps bad but replace all but still same problem (maybe some transitor bad?)
      any one know how to fix this problem?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
        the marking on it are s4 3b.
        Try the smd codebook?

http://www.marsport.org.uk/smd/codeintro.htm
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by hoadle View Post
          I had Sceptre X9G Komodo IV same problem, when monitor had power the powerlight blinking about 5min & monitor turn on ok long the had 110 VAC hook up the monitor, if I'm disconnect power had go same steps above again
          Clear focused pictures of all your boards (top down, both sides) would help. Post after reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

Check for bad/suspect solder joints. As the monitor warms up, the solder joints could move around and finally make contact so that the monitor works.

edit: And if the IV is significantly different from the II, start a new thread so we can keep track of things. It would be too confusing to have 2 different monitors in one thread.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            wow that helps ,Thanks.
            I stoped by or local electronic supply here, Gateway electronics ,Before I read your poast and they thought it might be a high speed schotty.
            Looks like the site you suggested conferms it.
            I will keep everyone informed of what happens
            Thanks again Al
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I open can't find any caps bad but replace all but still same problem (maybe some transitor bad?)
              Thanks
              There is another thred going now DCLCD19".
              With a blinking pled .To me these look the same.You might whant to follow it
              If your board is the same
              Al.

Comment

wow that helps
                I wonder how we will id components in the future when they get so small that there is no room for writing or color bands on them. Especially when some manufacturers seem loathe to publish schematics.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks
                  Finally find cold solder at 2 pins on quickdiconnection to VGA card, resolder is working final
                  Thanks for all you help me out

Comment

Well I am going to have to replace a diode I dammaged lifting it up to measure
                    here is a pitcure of it. the marking on it are s4 3b.
                    if i could find the spec i would use an axiel lead if need be.
                    Any ideas?
                    Al.
                    Well this is getting intresting.I have found a replacement for the diode I damaged
                    I have replaced the poly cap on the effected circuit and changed positions of the inverter coils,Replaced
                    Q6 and Q7 and they continue to short .
                    Measuring the two circuits there was a difference in the voltage drop of the zener diodes I felt I should try to replace zd1. Well the Q6 and Q7 are no longer failing but-----
                    I have no idea what happened but some how the over and or under voltage protection has been disabled the 2 ccfls at the bottom of the board light up an stay on and the top ccfls are not working.
                    There is a TL1451a controller used in this circuit similar to some of the benq boards.
                    I am open to suggestions on what else I should check
                    Al

Comment

I have replaced all caps,resolder all bad/suspect solder joints, and replaced Q6 and Q7 with similar ones, after that monitor works. After I removed Q6 form board I tested it and it was shorten. Q7 was ok, but I replaced it just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by mistery View Post
                        I have replaced all caps,resolder all bad/suspect solder joints, and replaced Q6 and Q7 with similar ones, after that monitor works. After I removed Q6 form board I tested it and it was shorten. Q7 was ok, but I replaced it just in case.
                        Mistery, congrats on the fix!
                        I have the same problem with my LM004 board, and this will be my first attempt at a circuit board repair. Would you be able to list all the parts you replaced? I'm having trouble tracing the various paths this thread has taken. I'm tempted to just start with the big cap on the board (the only one i can *see* is damaged), then going from there.

Hello to all! I think I'll be keeping this thread alive for the next few weeks until I fix this thing, or destroy it while trying.

-Will

Comment

Originally posted by hennegan View Post
                          I'm tempted to just start with the big cap on the board (the only one i can *see* is damaged), then going from there.
                          A pic of the big cap would be interesting to see.

Post clear focused pictures AFTER reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

Please do not post pictures inline.

Take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focus pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...94&postcount=1
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you RetiredCaps. My apologies for hastily jumping in with nothing to work from.

Some starter pics attached. These were re-sized from 3000x2000 (Nikon D80), so please let me know if larger samples would help.

The large cap has some leakage around one post. It reads "PS(M)105°C (C)04052"

On a side note, I thought it would be worth a shot to e-mail Sceptre directly to inquire about a replacement part. The replied "...we will need a serial number off the power board. It should start with 3404...or 3405.... It is printed on a barcode sticker." I can see no such thing.

Also, I have an identical working model of this LCD. I'm tempted to dismantle it to see if it has any identifications this one does not. Lastly, for full disclosure's sake, I believe I have sent both of these screens in for repair once during their lifetime (I didn't investigate much, but probably for the same problem here). Almost as frustrating as the few dozen Dell Optiplex GX270s I had to fix after their capacitor fiasco. I don't think I'll ever go Sceptre again, but if this can be fixed for less than their steep repair price, it's worth the adventure.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you RetiredCaps. My apologies for hastily jumping in with nothing to work from.

Some starter pics attached. These were re-sized from 3000x2000 (Nikon D80), so please let me know if larger samples would help.

The large cap has some leakage around one post. It reads "PS(M)105°C (C)04052"

On a side note, I thought it would be worth a shot to e-mail Sceptre directly to inquire about a replacement part. The replied "...we will need a serial number off the power board. It should start with 3404...or 3405.... It is printed on a barcode sticker." I can see no such thing.

Also, I have an identical working model of this LCD. I'm tempted to dismantle it to see if it has any identifications this one does not. Lastly, for full disclosure's sake, I believe I have sent both of these screens in for repair once during their lifetime (I didn't investigate much, but probably for the same problem here). Almost as frustrating as the few dozen Dell Optiplex GX270s I had to fix after their capacitor fiasco. I don't think I'll ever go Sceptre again, but if this can be fixed for less than their steep repair price, it's worth the adventure.
                              Welcome to the forum! Can you please give us a description of what the trouble is? Is the power led flashing? No picture? Flash of light, then black screen?

One of the first things to do is check for output voltages. Assuming you're in the USA, the voltage across the main filter cap should be approx: 165VDC

Generally, you have outputs of 5V for the logic card and LCD panel and 12V for the inverter circuit. Hard to tell from the photos if the circuit board connectors are silk screened with the voltage values. Make sure everything is hooked up before you measure for these values. Also check fuse F1.

Comment

Thank you Jetadm123! I guess symptoms would help--can't believe I neglected to post those too.

When the screen is powered on with a signal (VGA or DVI), The screen displays for a half second, then goes black. The power LED remains on after the panel goes black. If the screen is turned off/on, the screen comes on again for a half second. I don't believe it is [just?] the CCFLs, as I can see nothing on the panel under a bright light source when on. When this first started, I found that if I power-cycled it enough, it would eventually stay on as long as my PC never turned off the displays. This worked for days at a time until I could get a good used 5:4 ratio 19" replacement.

No blinking power light though; I still posted here though because I'm guessing the problem roots around the same LM004 power board all these LCDs share.

The first thing I checked was fuse F1, hoping it was something simple. Good continuity there though.

Will check connectors and filter cap voltage and report back, though may take a week or so.
                                Last edited by hennegan; 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Also, I have an identical working model of this LCD.
                                  Okay, having 2 identical monitors will make this easier. Rather than repeat myself, see this active current thread ... (start with post #33)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...?t=7662&page=2
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you Jetadm123! I guess symptoms would help--can't believe I neglected to post those too.

When the screen is powered on with a signal (VGA or DVI), The screen displays for a half second, then goes black. The power LED remains on after the panel goes black. If the screen is turned off/on, the screen comes on again for a half second. I don't believe it is [just?] the CCFLs, as I can see nothing on the panel under a bright light source when on. When this first started, I found that if I power-cycled it enough, it would eventually stay on as long as my PC never turned off the displays. This worked for days at a time until I could get a good used 5:4 ratio 19" replacement.

No blinking power light though; I still posted here though because I'm guessing the problem roots around the same LM004 power board all these LCDs share.

The first thing I checked was fuse F1, hoping it was something simple. Good continuity there though.

Will check connectors and filter cap voltage and report back, though may take a week or so.

The same problem was with mine monitor.

Can you try first disconnect upper lamps from board, and then start monitor, and if you see picture for the second the problem is on the lower side of the board, you can disconect lower lamps and comfirm this. Or oposite. When you find the side you shoud remove transistors and check oposite legs for shorts. If one is short this one is bad.

Is one is short replace boath. Do not try with ony one becouse is will kill the good one.

Also sou shoud check
                                    D1, D2, D3, D4 (It shoud have same mesures),
                                    ZD1, ZD2 (also shoud be the same.)

Those pins I have shorten with red shoud not be shorten.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

For the moment I have put my monitor power supply/inverter on the back burner.
                                      You are lucky as retiredcaps suggests having two identical monitors for your trouble shooting.
                                      Some things I noticed with my monitor, was being able to seeing the desktop with the use of a flash light, I could not. I had to power on one ccfl with a ccfl tester to see the desktop.
                                      I would suggest carefully checking the solder joints in the area of the inverter coils particularly the two poly caps also reflow the solder at the two inverter coils. And checking the Q transistors for shorts, If you have a desktop visible after your back lamps go out.
                                      Al.

Comment

Originally posted by mistery View Post

Those pins I have shorten with red should not be shorten.
                                        Thank you Mistery--that is a very helpful image.

And thanks as well to Alexanna. I have never soldered anything on such a small scale (usually just home wiring with a Weller gun), but will give it a shot. I need to get a more precise soldering tool. I'll search the forums, but if anyone has any threads bookmarked that has some beginner tips (iron temp, solder type, etc.) I'd be grateful; don't mean to stray from this thread's topic though.

Comment

but if anyone has any threads bookmarked that has some beginner tips (iron temp, solder type, etc.)
                                          I like Curious Inventor videos for soldering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X