Replace small caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replace small caps?

Sorry about the board but, hey, you are learning a new skill that will help you our later on.

If the board is dead might as well practice on it for the thick PCB.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Small caps can cause problems too. Recently I fixed a serious where the device wasn't useable issue by replacing 33uF Hermie caps with 56uF Rubycons. I did this just on the off chance, all the larger caps had already been replaced to no avail I was close to giving up.
      Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Fizzy.
        Where were those caps?
        As in what do they do?

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

A bad cap that shorts instead of opens is going to cause problems not matter what size it is.

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            Fizzy.
            Where were those caps?
            As in what do they do?
            Enclose photo, originally all the large ones were Hermei but this didn't solve the issue of network connections not working and maybe drop outs, I discovered by temporarily soldering randomly some good caps in parallel to the small ones solved the problem and later replaced all of them.
            Attached Files
            Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

had an lcd someone retrofitted into a cnc control where not even 1 lytic was good in it.
              thing looked new inside with no heat stress.
              all the caps had a lightning bolt/sc logo.
              the thing acted posessed.
              replacing every last lytic fixed all the bugs.
              a note to anyone with a esr meter.
              i often find mlcc across some lytics.
              these give a false good reading even if the lytic is open.
              so does a path to a good cap.

Comment

Looks like they are either I/O for that sinked chip or maybe part of the clock/timing circuit. (There's a timing crystal right there next to them.)

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Motherboard soldering isn't that hard. You need the right tools. I use a Weller WTCPT station with a 2.3mm 700 degree blade tip. Use 60/40 solder in the smallest diameter you can find. The hardest thing is clearing the holes off old solder without damaging the board. The biggest mistake people make is using an iron that doesn't get hot enough fast enough and can't hold the heat. You want to heat the joint hot and fast but not overcook the board. It should take no longer than 3 seconds to remove the cap and no longer than 3 seconds to resolder the new cap. Keep the tip on the caps leg and solder pad and off the pcb. Even if you lift a solder pad or get into the fiberglass of the pcb it's usually not a problem as long as the via isn't damaged. I've done both and never had a problem from it. If your iron slips and you scrape the board make sure you just scrapped the solder mask and not the traces. You need a magnifying glass for that. Even if you damage a trace it can usually be fixed. Even damaged vias can be fixed but for the most part if you damage the via its over. Also you need to practice. I practice on a junk board everytime before working on any board just to make sure the iron and everything is working properly. It just takes practice. Todd

Comment

Working...
                  X