Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Equipment Usage, Soldering, Techniques, and Reviews
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2018, 02:10 AM   #1
caspian
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Mazandaran
My Country: Iran
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Please Use a Fume Extractor and a Mask

Dear Forum Members,

There are very nice members in this forum who help others. I have never seen such kind experts.
But I noticed many forum members do not use any fume extractor while they do soldering. Flux is extremely dangerous if it reaches our eyes, or if we breathe it in, or if it stays on our hands.
Therefore, I ask all the forum members to follow these recommendations while soldering:
1- Use a cheap surgical mask to avoid entering the flux fume into your respiratory system.
2- Keep your eyes away from the flux fumes.
3- Wash your hands for a long duration if they got fluxy.
4- Use a fume extractor.

You may say that a fume extractor bothers you by taking the space on your table. this can be solved by installing the fume extractor a bit above the table. In the picture, I demonstrated where to install the fume extractor.
You can buy a fume extractor or make it yourself. For example, search on youtube for "fume extractor" to watch how to make one.
I made a good fume extractor for me. I used a flexible pipe and installed two computer case fans at the two sides of it. I connected a 12v power adapter to both the two fans. One fan breathes the air in the pipe and the other fan blows the air out of the pipe.
A good characteristic of this design is that I placed the output side of the pipe out of the window of my room. So the fumes get out of my room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fume extractor1.jpg (31.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 12v-fan.jpg (22.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg flexible pipe.jpg (4.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by caspian; 12-08-2018 at 02:23 AM..
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
madan1
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Sofia
My Country: Bulgaria
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Please Use a Fume Extractor and a Mask

What's with the flux flumes?
madan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
goontron
5000!

City & State: South Greeley, Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13.9kv HT service and some 240v center tap oddity.
I'm a: Professional Tech

I do this for a living... The mask is overkill. So is venting outside. Seriously, just pump it though a carbon canister.

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Last edited by goontron; 12-08-2018 at 03:24 PM..
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
llonen
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: united kingdom
My Country: hampshire
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz / 110 VAC 50 Hz and 415 VAC 50Hz

I have a Purex fume extractor unit, looks like a small vacuum cleaner on the bench that I would not be without, It was intended to be used as a solder tip fume extractor but I reamed out and use a larger connecting hose and funnel now with it. Its a real nice unit but now listed as discontinued
llonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
caspian
Badcaps Veteran

I do not know how much harmful it is to release flux fumes into the outdoor air where nobody breathes them in. Standard fume extractors absorb the flux fumes using a filter. I do not know which one is safer for the environment.

Last edited by caspian; 12-08-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
R_J
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: ☻
My Country: Canada

With all the fighting etc. going on in your area of the world, your worried about some solder flux fumes entering the enviroment?
R_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Andrew F. Ali
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Point Fortin
My Country: Trinidad & Tobago
Line Voltage: 125VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

I think the metallic fumes is the hazard here and not so much the flux fumes.
Andrew F. Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
caspian
Badcaps Veteran

Breathing flux fumes in will lead to respiratory problems in short term and will lead to cancer in long term.
I have a mechanic friend. he is exposed to dust in his repair center sometimes. Although it is just dust, he has got respiratory problems and continuous coughing after 5 years of working. Now think if it be a dangerous chemical such as flux fumes instead of dust.

Last edited by caspian; 12-09-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
eccerr0r
Solder Sloth

City & State: CO
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

The amount of rosin volatilized by soldering is so low and virtually none is actually burning so that it's much safer than tobacco smoke or wacky tobacky smoke in which one is actually trying to suck up.

Car mechanics have to worry about powdered asbestos which has been shown to be a problem, else maids breathing regular dust when cleaning houses would also be an occupational hazard.

... at least I would assume people here are mostly dealing with either repair or one-off assembly. All bets off if you're doing 24/7 hand assembly with rosin flux...

Last edited by eccerr0r; 12-09-2018 at 05:28 PM..
eccerr0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goontron View Post
I do this for a living... The mask is overkill. So is venting outside. Seriously, just pump it though a carbon canister.
Or just blow it away from your face when you solder.
That's what I do now. (Yes, seriously. ) If the weather is nice, I open the windows in my room too. Of course, this is only applicable to when I do hand-soldering (which mostly comes down to recapping these days).

If I do any "reflows" on my stove in the kitchen, I open all of the house windows afterwards, as that creates quite a bit of "PCB stink", even if I don't use any flux (and lately, I don't, because I've found that most GPU failures are between the GPU substrate and GPU die - i.e. nothing that flux can help with, so I don't even bother with it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
I do not know how much harmful it is to release flux fumes into the outdoor air where nobody breathes them in. Standard fume extractors absorb the flux fumes using a filter. I do not know which one is safer for the environment.
It all depends on the quantity of "pollutants". A small repair shop doing a few boards a day hardly releases more toxins in the air than maybe 2-3 cigarettes. An exception to that would be perhaps those who do chip reflows/rework, as that releases a significantly higher amount of fumes... but still nowhere enough to be considered harmful for the environment. Though it is probably enough that it can be dangerous to breathe it constantly throughout the day. So in those cases, using a filter or venting the fumes out of the room would be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccerr0r View Post
Car mechanics have to worry about powdered asbestos which has been shown to be a problem, else maids breathing regular dust when cleaning houses would also be an occupational hazard.
Exactly.

Regular house dust (from linens and such, not silica dust from cement or similar materials) usually causes asthma and/or increased sensitivity to dust and/or allergies over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccerr0r View Post
... at least I would assume people here are mostly dealing with either repair or one-off assembly. All bets off if you're doing 24/7 hand assembly with rosin flux...
Exactly! x2
If you're basically doing soldering work only once in a while, with that mostly being the occasional soldering/desoldering of a few components, I don't think you have that much to worry about. But if you're doing it for 8+ hours a day in a room full of flux fumes (or sleeping in the same room where you've been soldering all day), of course that's going to be different.

Last edited by momaka; 12-11-2018 at 09:50 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Naja

City & State: United States
I'm a: Complete Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_J View Post
With all the fighting etc. going on in your area of the world, your worried about some solder flux fumes entering the environment?
The Canadians used to have there Miners inhale micro particle Aluminum to avoid having to pay retirement pay..... 'It helps fight lung disease' and saves children...

I think if you actually look at stats the US has a few hundred thousand a year die in medical mistakes and Iran has probably less deaths per year in 'fighting' then Canadian deaths by gun violence..... Just saying

"McIntyre Powder: inhaling aluminium powder to prevent lung disease

Itís an almost unbelievable story, but for decades miners in many countries around the world were told to inhale microscopic particles of aluminium as a preventative against silicosis of the lungs.

Elliot Lake in northern Ontario, is a well-known mining centre, and thatís where Janice Martelís father worked as a miner, and where for years he was required to inhale ďMcIntyre PowderĒ. He is now afflicted with Parkinsonís disease. His daughter made the connection between the aluminium powder and minerís health problems and has started a website to document the conditions.

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2015/11/30/m...-lung-disease/
Naja is offline   Reply With Quote