Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oscilloscope

Originally posted by godin View Post
    .....and you should be able to connect the ground clip to the negative grounded DC leg of that rectifier output. Shouldn't you??
    On THAT ONE yes.
    On ones that float the neg side of the rectifier, no.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      No, you can't. I've already shown above why.

Anyway to sum it up - if you're serious about troubleshooting SMPS you need a two channel oscilloscope.
      Or a differential probe but those bastards can cost more than a 2 channel scope.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        On THAT ONE yes.
        On ones that float the neg side of the rectifier, no.
        Now that makes perfect sense to me. However not to Th3_uN1Qu3 and I still don't understand why. If it is floated then it has potential above ground.

In the example schematic it is not floating please can you explain MR uN1Qu3.

Comment

Originally posted by godin View Post
          If it is floated then it has potential above ground.
          No.
          -Different- than ground.
          It can also float below ground. [Negative Potential.]

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

Since my purchase I noticed the 2nd channel was not working properly. It started off okay, but as soon as the scope warmed up the line would start to look like it was digitizing and would bounce around all over the screen. I decided that I would contact the seller seeing that he really was a nice guy and he told me to bring it over so he can take a look at it. I figure the guy repairs CAT scan machines for a living this wouldn't be an issue for him. He decided that due to the lack of time he had it would be a better idea for me to just give him back the oscilloscope and gave me a Tektronix 2221a. WOW! What a difference, this machine is awesome! He made me feel bad so I left a $50 bill on his work bench. Now this scope is 100MHz and it has 4 banks for saved storage. I think this was a GREAT upgrade from the 2220! Anyways, I think for once in my life I came out good. out of a bad situation!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats! Enjoy your new scope.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
              X