Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butchery! on iMac G5 ALS midplane (mobo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchery! on iMac G5 ALS midplane (mobo)

Just got this in via eBay. Guy either flat out lied about system condition or failed to disclose what had been done to the system:
    "This is my daughters computer she said she used it the day before and when she went to turn it back on it would not come on, no power."

I love when they hide behind statements like this: "I don't know anything about this computer".

It's not worth the hassle with eBay and PayPal to fight about it for less than $100.

On the up side, it did come with the mouse and the long keyboard with numeric keypad, so there's easily $30 of value there. Also has a 750GB Seagate "Certified Repaired" Barracuda 7200.11 drive, 512Mb RAM stick, and the Airport/Bluetooth A1126 card.

Another plus is that it has the Delta DPS-180QB-1A, 614-0327 PSU. This is the first one of these that's come across my bench, so there is value in the analysis and dissection of it. It appears to be working, so another plus.

If this thing ever ran, it would be a miracle. The caps are actually loose and rock back and forth. There are fake Rubycons everywhere.

I can -probably- fix it unless this bobo FUBAR'd the vias.

Someone also knocked an SMD IC off its pads. U3301 down by the ALS plug, just right of the PSU plug. Marking is B38 in an SOT23-5 package. If anyone knows what this part is, your input is requested. I can probably pick one off of another dead board (graphics blown) I have around.

Pics attached. Sensitive folks may want to avert their eyes.....
    The rest of you sick puppies, be my guest...

Toast
    Attached Files
    veritas odium parit

Re: Butchery! on iMac G5 ALS midplane (mobo)

BLARGH!!
    I know they're hard to work on, but that's slaughter!

If THAT works when you're done, I'd be amazed.

Comment

Umm, there is also a bunch of loose SMD components seen in PICT0718
      Ask the seller what type of Volvo Excavator was used to remove the original caps.
      And after that what sort of Volvo Bulldozer was used for putting the new caps in place!
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

It looks like his daughter tried replacing the caps.

Comment

Good eyes there Mr. Moose

A cap and a diode.

Fortunately I believe I can "adjust" them back into place as the leads nor the foil ends were torn off.
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Update:

Cap and diode back in place. Managed to get the IC back in too. Not sure as to one leg though because it was broken off just outside the body. I think I caught enough of it to work. If not, back to Plan A - salvage from a dead board...

8 caps out and so far no via damage found....

Fingers crossed
            Toes crossed
            Cojones crossed

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
              Pics attached. Sensitive folks may want to avert their eyes.....
              Wow and I thought I was bad with a soldering iron. All that effort for fake Rubycon!!
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It looks like that was the previous owner's first attempt at soldering. My old Compaq's motherboard looks like that, but it still works and was a pain to work on with my POS soldering iron. At least it isn't as bad as this.

Comment

Well, it runs.

But, the display has thin vertical colored lines in it. Graphics section or display?

I also have a flashing folder/question mark in the center. Unformatted hard drive or no OS?

Toast
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Back in the OS 7 days, the flashing question mark meant that it couldn't find the OS. If that didn't change, it could be either a bad hard drive or no OS is installed (blank/unformatted drive).

Comment

Sort of figured one of the 2. Just grabbed a copy of DW to check and/or fix the disk. Right in the middle of a TORRENTial downpour....

Have determined that it is a panel fault, not the onboard graphics. Hotwired another panel and 1/2 inverter to it and the display was fine.

Good to see the days efforts were not in vain. 29 HZ's now have a permanent home.

Progress.

Toast
                      Last edited by Toasty; 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM.
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

i wonder if the fakes, the failed originals, or the shoddy soldering (by bobo, not you) took the panel?

possible?
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          i wonder if the fakes, the failed originals, or the shoddy soldering (by bobo, not you) took the panel?

possible?
                          I'd highly doubt it. LCD lines are usually breaks in the joints of the kapton ribbons that connect the panel itself to the control board. You can't really solder them as they don't appear to be held on with solder but with some other method. Even if you could solder them, they're so small it'd be incredibly difficult to do so...

Comment

what a mess!i could have done better than that.....when i was 10!

Comment

And I thought my soldering was bad....
                              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That is horribad. Still isnt as bad as that other board that had the torch taken to it.
                                Im sure that was probably this guy's next idea.

Comment

He actually saved me a lot of time and effort by doing such a bad job. All those caps came out easier than if it was a 'factory' board. He did all the hard work with the lead free solder (and fortunately didn't damage the vias). All I had to do, for the most part, was get his solder blobs off the leads, nip them close, and the caps nearly fell off and out of the board.
                                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                  X