Marantz 2238b deep cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marantz 2238b deep cleaning question

I came across this little gem yesterday and need some advice on "cleaning" it. Now when I say cleaning I don't mean that the pots are a bit dusty... no - this thing appears to have spent it's 30 years of life on the edge (or partially in) a swamp and the resident frog population had a 3 pack a day habit!

It's BAD

I've read that the PC guys will sometimes take the really bad motherboards and literally spray them down with Mean Green cleaner and then do a hot water spray rinse letting them air dry in front of a fan overnight.

This baby looks like it needs to go through the pots & pans cycle of the dishwasher.

Here's the thing... IT WORKS. I was picking up faint FM but I don't really have a good antenna. CD in to the Tape 2, Tape Mon, Aux sounded very nice. Vol pot was a little scratchy but not what I would have expected. Tone was warm and rich.

I'd like to clean it but understand I'm not talking about "restoration". However with the exception of a pretty nice scratch under the headphone jack the case is in good shape and is cleaning up nicely.
    Attached Files

Re: Marantz 2238b deep cleaning question

you could strip & wash it,
    but the rule is you must remove anything that can trap water inside first.

so remove any transformers, coils in boxes, relays, and the meters just for a start.
    the biggest hate i have with items like that is getting the thing back together so the tuning cord is threaded correctly and the needle on the dial actually points to the correct frequency.
    give me digital tuners any day!

Comment

That's what I was thinking... wet wash is okay if needed provided I can keep from trapping liquid.

Comment

Put it to hang and blow hot air with a hair blower....Leave it in a hang dry for a couple of days and continue hot air blowing....don't be too hurry to put it back together....take some time out with it....It'll work...we had one of these in the 70's.....Great audio reproduction if it still works....of course with the correct speakers, too... Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jwillifixit View Post
          Here's the thing... IT WORKS. I was picking up faint FM but I don't really have a good antenna. CD in to the Tape 2, Tape Mon, Aux sounded very nice. Vol pot was a little scratchy but not what I would have expected. Tone was warm and rich.
          Of course it still works, its and old Marantz and they are known for being notoriously hard to kill:

As others said if you do a wet wash make absolutely sure everything is good and dry before putting power to it. I'd also add to make sure you do your final rise with something that wont leave deposits/residue like distilled water or IPA (isopropyl alcohol).

Comment

Working...
          X