MSI CR500 (MS-1683) Not Running from Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI CR500 (MS-1683) Not Running from Battery

Just some quick background, I'm a computer technician with very basic soldering experience, and I'm looking to learn more about component level repair. I own a multi-meter with diode mode & continuity, an ESR meter and an Antex 760RWK Rework station. I have some basic knowledge about electronics. This is a donated system I'm refurbishing for a low-income individual as part of the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher Program.

The system runs fine from the AC adapter, and has been stress tested for 24 hours with no issues. However when I tried to run off battery, it would cut out after removing the AC adapter. Sometimes it would last a few minutes, and on a few occasions I had it stress testing on battery for an hour before cutting out. I have tried 2 cheap eBay replacement batteries, 1 original used battery, & two different AC adapters - the problem still remains.

As I've continued testing, it has gotten worse, and now it won't POST from battery; the fans spin, and lights come on, but that's as far as it gets. It very occasionally does POST and will stay on for 30 seconds max. I think this is almost certainly an issue with the motherboard. I have managed to find a schematic for MS-1683 V1.2, but the board states MS-16831 V1.2, so I'm not 100% sure it's the correct schematic. Does anyone have any suggestions and a starting point regarding troubleshooting this issue?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, your support will be greatly appreciated!

Richard.
    Attached Files

Re: MSI CR500 (MS-1683) Not Running from Battery

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? I thought it might be a nice project to enhance my understanding. But it seems like one of those problems that could involve a lot of time investment!

Comment

Working...
    X