USB hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB hubs

I'm having a problem choosing a decent quality USB hub. Basically I bought an iMac recently and I've run out of USB ports, so now I need a hub! I usually use the hub to plug in my camera, card reader and flash drives... usually simultaneously. That's about 3 to 4 devices (sometimes more), most of which are passively powered. What I want to know is... will I need an AC adaptor powered USB hub? I'm more concerned about frying the USB ports on my mac due to over current issues...
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: USB hubs

I should also add, I only want BRAND NAME hubs, like Belkin, D-link, Logitech or Targus. I have this cringing feeling that a $3 no name hub with a crappy power supply or the like might fry something!
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

agreed, noname hubs suck. bad.

find one on clearance...

bekin hubs aren't bad- I used to use a 7 port belkin hub with my imac before the imac went into semi-temporary storage.

targus hubs are decent but way overpriced... plus they are more for laptops, not desktops.

for non-laptop use, find a powered hub or one that offers a power port (most do) and add a 5v brick.

try to let high data devices (external drives, newer webcams, etc) not use the hub. hubs slow down traffic.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have a several D-Link products and I would recommend any of them, but do not get the DUB-H7 Powered Hub unless you're into bright illuminations!!! I recently sold mine (practically unused) as it had 8 LED's -1x Power, 7x Port Status - that lit as soon as power was applied and stayed lit until you removed power. You could be forgiven for expecting these so-called Port Status indicators to light up when a device was connected or flash with activity, but they all light up bright green regardless. You could hide the thing in a drawer but that would defeat the object of accessability. And it's pig-ugly too.
        System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

I've had bad luck wth both Belkin USB2.0 hubs I've used... and have had great results with generic ones! I bought 7 noname 4-port ones (yes, at once), they were like $1.99 apiece or something, and over timewhen I used them, not a single known failure that I am aware of (they are no longer in my posession because I gave them to people who needed them...

Comment

I got a Belkin USB hub today. It's the Hub-to-go where you can split it from 7 to 4 USB ports... and I've got a problem. The PSU buzzes when I plug it into the wall but it works fine other than that. Do you guys think Belkin will even fix that type of problem? It does say "lifetime warranty" on the box...

Comment

Heh, the D-Link brick was silent...
              That was the only good thing about it.

Some adapters do make a slight hum/buzz, I suppose it depends if it's loud enough to annoy you? The shop you got it from should exchange it for you if you're not happy.
              System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Belkin doesn't manufacture, they OEM.
                At least some of Belkin's products are just custom packaged Chinese junk.
                Basically the same deal as a 'House Brand' generic like 'Rocketfish' at Best Buy.
                The 'guts' are the same as you'd get buying from a no-name in China.
                - Yet, some of their other products are really good.
                You just have to pay attention.
                They are also scumbags the same way Antec is. - Read "Criticism".
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belkin
                You JUST bought it. - Take it back where you got it.
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-18-2011, 08:12 AM.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

In answer to original question... you should get an USB hub that comes with separate AC adapter - that's a sign that the thing has at least some circuitry inside to power each usb jack from the adapter instead of sucking power just from the incoming port.

Most hubs will come with an AC adapter rated for 5v @ 2-3 Amps, in which case you can just use the power from the computer - you take the red and black pair of cables from a hard drive jack and you have 5 volts.

If the AC adapter is rated for more, like 7.5v or 9v, it's almost 100% sure it has some dc converter inside, so you'll probably be able to power it from 12v as well, but it's probably going to heat up a lot.

You're in Australia so I don't really know what works for you... in US i see these rated pretty well :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182057

later edit: i don't know how it is on Macs but on PC some motherboards power at least a couple of ports in the back straight from 5Vsb, which on some power supplies is very low, usually 1-1.5 Amps. So you don't want to plug 3-4 devices and have the usb hub pull that much power from 5Vsb as it would probably be unstable, with lots of ripple, if you go over 1-1.5 amps.
                  Last edited by mariushm; 12-18-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    I bought it on the way home from the coast. About 150KMs kilometres up north. NO WAY am I driving back up there just to return this.
                    I did call them and they said to bring it in "in person", I asked if I could courier it in and they said no. great.

I will contact Belkin tomorrow and see what solutions they have for me

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
                      Heh, the D-Link brick was silent...
                      That was the only good thing about it.

Some adapters do make a slight hum/buzz, I suppose it depends if it's loud enough to annoy you? The shop you got it from should exchange it for you if you're not happy.
                      I can hear this buzz from across the room. I don't think that's normal at all.

Comment

Belkin doesn't manufacture, they OEM.
                        At least some of Belkin's products are just custom packaged Chinese junk.
                        Basically the same deal as a 'House Brand' generic like 'Rocketfish' at Best Buy.
                        The 'guts' are the same as you'd get buying from a no-name in China.
                        - Yet, some of their other products are really good.
                        You just have to pay attention.
                        They are also scumbags the same way Antec is. - Read "Criticism".
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belkin
                        well, considering that the belkin wireless cards and the dynex (Best buy's other house brand) cards looked identical, im not surprised.

The only Belkin I have had that wasn't a turd is the wireless N router i recently got at goodwill for $3... unlike the last belkin router, this one doesn't want to overheat and die like the other one did... then again, its only used as a switch/AP (DHCP off).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                          I can hear this buzz from across the room. I don't think that's normal at all.
                          You're right. It's not.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            well, considering that the belkin wireless cards and the dynex (Best buy's other house brand) cards looked identical, im not surprised.

The only Belkin I have had that wasn't a turd is the wireless N router i recently got at goodwill for $3... unlike the last belkin router, this one doesn't want to overheat and die like the other one did... then again, its only used as a switch/AP (DHCP off).
                            I have some older Belkin KVM's that are decent but, except maybe for cables, I don't really consider their newer stuff.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

I have some older Belkin KVM's that are decent but, except maybe for cables, I don't really consider their newer stuff.
                              Do any companies out there bother to make decent stuff these days? it'd be good to know they still care about us

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                                Do any companies out there bother to make decent stuff these days? it'd be good to know they still care about us
                                yes, but be prepared to pay $$$$$

sometimes you get what you pay for.
                                sigpic

Comment

Okay, Belkin today said (after some long hours of "technical support") they will send me a complete replacement USB hub and AC adaptor. Let's see how this goes!

Comment

Working...
                                  X