"Access Point" and "True" 802.11N Wide Channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Access Point" and "True" 802.11N Wide Channels

When using Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector 1.01 on a Dell Studio 1555 with an Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN wireless client, it has detected the Wide Channel of a 300 Mbit 802.11N wireless access point.
    In this utility, the Standard Channel was shown as 1, with the Wide Channel being shown as 5 (the "true" Wide Channel), although the access point was set for a Wide Channel of 3 (the "access point" Wide Channel).

In the attached PDF is a visual explanation of the above, and in the correct explanation, it shows the Standard and Wide channels do not overlap.

I think millions of 300 Mbit Wireless-N access points need firmware updates to correct this issue... along with updated manuals
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: "Access Point" and "True" 802.11N Wide Channels

In the Status page of a Netgear WNDR3700, the Wide and Standard channels are shown as 4 channels apart, which is correct.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Wireless N is going to be replaced with Wireless AC 801.11ac

edit maybe i should of said the next wireless standard will be.
      Last edited by Phaihn; 02-18-2011, 02:48 PM.
      My Computer.
      AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
      Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
      Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
      500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
      1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
      2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Great. I just bought a new (and rather expensive) 802.11n router two months ago. It'll be outdated in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
          Great. I just bought a new (and rather expensive) 802.11n router two months ago. It'll be outdated in a year or two.
          Who cares. As long as it serves your needs, that's all that matters.

I'm still using 802.11b, and it doesn't bother me (or anyone else in my family) one bit because it's fast enough for what we use it for - basic web browsing (and we don't really use our wireless all that much either).

Comment

Perhaps you mean 802.11ac.

I'll need to see 60% of 300M before I believe they're going to fit a gigabit through the air. I can get 60% of 150M with good hardware but so far 60% of 300M has eluded me.
            sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
            X