EVGA 133-K8-NF41 blown fz's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVGA 133-K8-NF41 blown fz's

Hello all. First post here hope this is the right place. Anyhow I recently acquired a EVGA 133-K8-NF41 mobo with a 3500+ cpu 2x512 ddr and a 160gb hdd for $20 from a friend of mine. (i only really wanted the ram and hdd but he gave me the board and all) Anyhow the only thing is he was using it one day and it went BANG! and shut off. The board has several blown caps of 2 different sizes. The larger ones are fz57 1500uf 6.3v the smaller ones are fz57 470uf 16v. There are 5 poped big ones and 3 poped small ones. I did some research and it seems that these "fz" caps are known to be of bad quality. Now on to the questions.

1. What are the odds that the board will still work once the caps are replaced?
    2. I was thinking of robing caps of the same values for another board to make sure the board still works before i invest in new caps for it. I have a few dead boards laying around i could use for parts.
    3. If I do get new caps for it I plan on replacing all the ones with fz on them. What should i replace them with?

Re: EVGA 133-K8-NF41 blown fz's

i have seen a dozen or so of these this year.all made it after a recap.
    there are more bad ones along the cpu.any that look like rubycon are not .they are sacon and are junk.anything "fz" gotta go.i used polys in the vrm output.

Comment

That makes 3 mobo manufacturers caught using crap FZ on mobo.
      Jetway, Biostar, EVGA
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

If your going to use Polymer (solid) caps, use about half the capacitance (for example, if the originals are 1000uF, use about 560uF for a poly), but keep the voltage the same.

If your not going to use polys, keep the capacitance the same. You can use rubycon MBZ, which are available on badcaps.net

Also, add Mach Speed to the list of motherboard brands with Sacon FZ caps
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That is sometimes true but not always.

Reducing the capacitance only applies blanketly to VRM or similar DC-DC conversion circuits that use high/low side MOSFETs or other transistors.

In any other circuit you need to trace and draw it out and do the math because in other circuits the value for uF may [or may not] be important.

Changing the uF changes how fast a cap charges to some voltage.
          If that voltage turns on or off another circuit changing how soon it gets up to that voltage could screw up the circuit's timing [sequencing] with other circuits.

Also if it's part of a PI filter and you don't also adjust the value of the other cap and the inductor you could put more noise into the circuit instead of less.
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Panasonic FM series are an ideal replacement for Sacon FZ.
            FM has slightly better ESR and Ripple, is easy to find, and is usually inexpensive.
            Only tricky thing is sometimes you have to get FM in 10v instead of 6.3v to get the right diameter to replace FZ 6.3v.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

OK, thanks for the correction. So, you only use half the capacitance for the VRM but keep it the same elsewhere.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

~
                Something to watch out for:
                Just using Poly doesn't guarantee lower ESR than the original lytics.
                There are low end Poly out now that have more ESR than some Lytics.
                You -HAVE- to look up the specs or you can screw yourself.
                ~

I don't think 1/2 the capacitance needs to be part of the rule anymore for VRMs.
                That rule came about when people were first getting their feet wet with poly upgrades and it seems to me to be over conservative based on newer information.

~ If you look at the VRM's on production boards just before and after the change from lytic to poly,, but that still use the same CPU.

~ VRM-high ~
                On high side of lytic boards you usually see three or four 1500uF to 3300uF. [Usually three 1800-2200uF]
                It usually works out to ~ 5400-9900uF total.
                -
                On high side of ploy boards you usually see three or four 330uF to 470uF.
                It usually works out to ~ 1000-1400uF total.
                -
                VRM-high is very consistent for both lytic and poly and CPU type or brand of board doesn't seem to matter much.
                [Although Server boards often add something like a 1200uF lytic in parallel with the polys.]
                [Also, I see a lot of Dell GX/SX type boards with two poly and one lytic. I suspect in the Dells are that way because their down sized PSU doesn't have enough bulk capacitance in the +12v output to drop it that far on the board. In other words the wimpy non-standard PSU needs a beefier VRM to compensate.]
                -
                Since VRM high side is mostly handling noise from the PSU -I think- it's safe to say production boards are standardized at approximately 1000-1400uF total when all poly is used because that's all that's needed to smooth out the voltage from a PSU when you have ESR that low.
                -
                So, for VRM-high until I learn better I'm using 470uF 16v caps in VRM-high.
                If it has 4 caps I think 330uF would be okay but I'm only stocking 470uF in 16v for now.

~ VRM-low ~
                The VRM-low side is no where near as consistent between brands or models of motherboards. Cap counts and uF numbers are all over the place from board to board so it's impossible to make a generalization like I did for VRM-high.
                - BUT
                We know from various peoples experiments [LOTS of them at this point] that replacing VRM-low lytic caps one-for-one with 820uF poly has never failed [yet] on any kind of board.
                -
                I'm good with that as a rule until it doesn't work on something.
                - One exception where I might not do that is a board with very few caps in VRM-low. [I just looked at a skt 939 board that only had 5 caps there.] In those cases I think I'll add at least one 3300uF[if 10mm] or two 1800uF[if 8mm] lytics to beef up the uF a little.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

I just had an EVGA card come back for the same problem.
                  The damn card blew ALL those phony solid-polymer-looking caps.
                  The card was new in January, 2008.

Comment

Does not EVGA have very good warranty?
                    Have you tried contacting them about this? (Even if it is out of warranty)
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

If you don't actually register the product with them within 30 days of buying it then you don't have a warranty.
                      - They didn't tell you that part, did they...
                      http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

EVGA was supposedly high quality when they first started out but they quickly went the el'cheapo Chinese parts route.
                      -
                      How can you possibly call a company that uses Sacon FZ on video cards AND MOTHERBOARDS a quality brand.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                        That makes 3 mobo manufacturers caught using crap FZ on mobo.
                        Jetway, Biostar, EVGA
                        seen those on soyo too.

Comment

I thought Soyo got out of the mobo business before FZ showed up.
                          Maybe not,,,
                          Have a photo of one of those?
                          Or remember what model it was so I can hunt pics?

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                            How can you possibly call a company that uses Sacon FZ on video cards AND MOTHERBOARDS a quality brand.
                            Your logic is flawless
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Looks like Soyo is not just out of the motherboard business now.
                              They filed Chapter 7 in May 2009.
                              I wonder if that Lawsuit over cheap caps on mobos was the last nail in their coffin?

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

The specs on the board seem nice enough... and I like the big heatsinks on the VRM. Too bad they used crap caps...
                                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I didn't notice before but that board has both the black and blue versions of FZ on the same board.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                                    The specs on the board seem nice enough... and I like the big heatsinks on the VRM. Too bad they used crap caps...

Not too big of a fan of that chipset cooler. See those on those cheap low end video cards that overheat all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                      i have seen a dozen or so of these this year.all made it after a recap.
                                      there are more bad ones along the cpu.any that look like rubycon are not .they are sacon and are junk.anything "fz" gotta go.i used polys in the vrm output.
                                      This is good news to me as socket 939 boards are hard to come by.

You cant seem to be able to quote more then one reply on this board so..

@Per Hansson, No i have not called about any warranty. As i am the second owner of the board and my friend I got it from lost all the paperwork for it in a move I though it would be better to just fix it. Anyhow if they do warranty it and happen to have a 5+yo replacement it would just have the same crappy caps on it anyhow.

@dood Yes this was a really nice board when it worked. I am hoping it to be able to use it as a lan party box as my main rig is too hard to move around all the time.

@PCBONEZ ya all the caps seem mixed on this board for some reason

@370forlife ya the fan on the chipset cooler is dead I am going to have to look for a replacement once the board is fixed

Comment

Same mobo I have except mine is the NF43 SLI version. Same exact thing happened all 5 of the FZ 6.3V blew POP!

Comment

Working...
                                        X