Viewsonic CCFL to LED conversion attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic CCFL to LED conversion attempt

As learned from this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59933

probably LCD's CCFLs died

Starting this thread to focus on the conversion attempt to LED, but need help with wiring

Found many LED kits and most of them call for 9V-30V or even 6V-30V as input voltage, but as far as I can see, my power-board (main) has 5V, didn't see 9v or 12v.

Also the controller-board has the same 5V.. (I did find on/off and Brightness, and assume it doesn't matter if the connection is made on the main board or the smaller one)

Questions:

1) Do you think it is possible to get 9v or 12v from the main board somehow? or should i search more to find an LED that is driven by a 5V board, does the voltage make a difference on the brightness?

2) Once this is working can someone tell which capacitors can be removed from the main board b/c the AC invertor won't be used at that point. So they don't heat up, or waste power?

I hope to post final results here to for others the benefit.

I think this has higher chances of success compared to me working with CCFLs which may break

BTW: All my work is for HOME USAGE.

Thanks.
    Stormy.
    Attached Files

Re: Viewsonic CCFL to LED conversion attempt

There is usually slightly higher voltages going to the audio section of the main board - flip it over and see if there's a legend silkscreened there or you may have to measure those pins in operation.

Comment

this is an LCD PC Monitor, no audio here as far as i know. I suspect there is a 9v/12v somewhere, but have no clue if it is "safe" or "OK" to pull from there, i.e. what kind of current or other components will be on that path I've posted both sides of both boards, hoping someone can give some clues...

Comment

You would use the supply that would normally drive the CCFL inverter. It will be higher (12-18v or so) and would work fine, since you wouldn't be using the inverter anyway, instead of adding extra load to a rail which is already designed to only power the mainboard.

I still don't recommend it. Cheap LEDs from China will probably fail faster than the cheap LEDs in LED TVs, and those fail too much already.

Replacing the CCFLs is not hard. Yes they are easy to break, but on eBay they are cheap. If you're worried just buy a couple extra.

In any case you have to diassemble the LCD panel which has more chance of destroying the LCD sheet itself if you aren't very careful. If you can be careful with a bare LCD glass, you can be careful with a CCFL.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
        X