ESR-Micro v5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESR-Micro v5.0

I purchased an ESR-Micro v5.0 after reviewing a lot of positive feedback. I am new to electronics and please excuse me if I come off as a little green because I am. Anyway, after unpacking the ESR I decided to test it on a new capacitor, 330 uf 25v. The readings although they tended to keep changing all over the place average 284 uf and an ESR value of .55. I thought this was suspicious so I checked the uf readings with my Fluke 87v and they came back at a solid
    313 uf. My question is does anybody know if this instrument needs to be calibrated or is this margin of error acceptable. Based on the readings from the ESR meter I would have replaced a perfectly good capacitor. I am debating purchasing another ESR meter now to check the ESR values returned. The instruction for this unit are for the 4.0 and they are awful.

Re: ESR-Micro v5.0

The instructions do seem a little awful but they do detail a calibration procedure.
    I know it's for the 4.0 but have you tried it ?

Comment

Thank you, I did read the calibration piece and I will try that for the probes again. The other part of the calibration for removed capacitors seems confusing.

Comment

Diff, I did re calibrate and the ESR dropped to .25 and the UF came up to 295 uf. Still lower than the Fluke reading of 313 uf. Not sure about the accuracy of what so I going to get a hold of another ESR meter and compare.

Comment

What is the expected ESR for your 330uf 25v capacitor ?

Comment

I use my ESR meters for finding faulty caps. I have a cheap component tester like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Signal-Gene...r/392274906231 and a more expensive PEAK ESR70.
            They show almost the same readings when I use them.

Capacitance accuracy compared to your fluke isn't important. Accuracy of ESR and capacitance to the specs of known good caps is, specially as the tolerance for the actual capacitance is 20%.

Comment

and leakage is usefull to see too.

Comment

330 uf capacitor ESR value according to the chart is .25 which is good now. I thought 10% on the capacitance was the magic rule - if 20% then no problem and I guess I will disregard the difference between the two meter readings - thank you for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by dpc5 View Post
                  330 uf capacitor ESR value according to the chart is .25 which is good now.
                  The problem may be in the frequency at which the measurement is made.
                  Look at this ESR table. The measurement frequency is 100kHz.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X