X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The GOOD Capacitors Thread!!

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Are those caps KMG brand or are they United Chemicon KMG series? UCC's logo is a shield above the value.
    Yes, that sounds like the right description for these.
    Last edited by shadow99; 05-28-2007, 10:48 AM.

Comment

IIRC, the KMG series is a high-quality general purpose series, not really suited to P/S O/P or MB VRM usage.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I looked at my receipt and they're listed as United Chemicom but on the caps it just says KMG, and has the little logo of a shield?
        I bought them with the intention of going on to MB's and PS's, and that's where they'll be going. Cant be any worse than the crap that was there originally.

The various caps I've seen puking all over MB's and PS's look like basic consumer grade stuff, just like in everything else.

Wouldnt calling any consumer grade cap "general purpose" be accurate?

Comment

General Purpose....now I see after doing some reading on Chemi-Con's site.
          Next time I buy I'll be more specific as to my needs.
          Always nice to learn new things, thx!
          But these will still be going into my ECS P3 Tualatin mobo.

Comment

Unused russian K50-35 1989/1990/1991 year series from three producers. Unexpensive and very reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo2_000
              I have salvaged many Sanyo 3300 x 6.3v lytics adjacent the CPU from Azza boards and re-use them.

Admittedly they are in the company of DS bottom tier crapcaps, but I don't think Ihave ever seen a Sanyo fail even though they are positioned in the most stressfull location of the mainboard.

I have never had one test bad on the ESR meter and just recycled about 10 of em in a recent recap.

Seem to have a lot goin for em from my experience.

Well, It would seem that Sanyo lytics are not immune from problems. The photos are of a 1500uf 6.3 WX Sanyo. Location is between the AGP and PCI 1 slots on a MSI MS-6373. I don't think it was a cascade failure as board was recapped completely by someone using Sanyo, UCC, and Rubycon.

The location may be the killer depending on the video card or PCI cards involved. Odd though that only that one cap appears to have failed. I am going to replace it and see if the board recovers.
              Attached Files

Comment

I find that BEC and ACE caps are pretty good. They've been around for some time, my 1983 ibm pcjr has all ACE caps on the mobo, and the BEC on the modem.

Comment

What about JAMICON caps (blue printing) ?
                  I didn't see them here.

Comment

Most consider Jamicon bad.
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1659
                    Nice pic of some bloated ones about 1/2 way down.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

I received some Rubycon capacitors with the plug at the bottom extended out from the can not quite 1mm. Other than this the caps seem o.k. When soldering to mother board, these caps will not be flush and is this a sign that the caps are defective?

Comment

Originally posted by edbog
                        I received some Rubycon capacitors with the plug at the bottom extended out from the can not quite 1mm. Other than this the caps seem o.k. When soldering to mother board, these caps will not be flush and is this a sign that the caps are defective?
                        That's intentional.
                        Most caps have extensions [legs?] on the bung [rubber plug] to prevent them from sitting directly on the board. This allows cleaning the PCB [not necessarily a motherboard, ANY PCB] without trapping any solvents or liquids under the cap [because that might cause a short when it's re-energized after cleaning].

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am very new to all this.
                          I'm working on any Apple, iMac, iSight model mother board trying to change some capacitors.
                          This may be the wrong forum but have you or anyone else worked on these Apple board? Is there any wiggle room for installing 20mm capacitors instead of the shorter ones or will the longer ones make contact with anything that they shouldn't in the tight space?

Comment

I haven't worked on Apple/MAC boards but I'm sure a few members have.
                            Toasty might be a good one to ask.
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/member...tposter&t=7036
                            I know he's at least worked on MAC PSU's and even if he hasn't worked on the mainboards he might know who has..

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

@edbog -

I opened a new topic in the "All Other Motherboards" section, and answered your questions.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=71100

Toast
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

Hello.

Much as I hate to say this, I've noticed several Perfectly Good OST brand caps, even after years of usage.

In particular, I just did a major upgrade for a close friend.
                                The system was an ECS board with OST everywhere except vCore, which were tiny little UCC 820uf/4v caps powering a hungry Prescott 630. All of the caps on the board looked great with no bulging of any kind.

The system has been running 24/7 since late 2006 and hasn't seen an air conditioned room until 2009. Big time dust everywhere so everything was nice and toasty. Yet the system was entirely stable and never a problem.

So, just for some desolder and resolder practice, I pulled out the 1500uf/16v OST RLX caps with date code 0603. All tested good at around 1400uf and .01 ESR.

I happen to know that this system has had a rough life. Continuous run time, hot summers, cold winters lotsa dust and a hot Prescott CPU.
                                Still, the ultra-cheap OST on the ultra cheap ECS P4M800 survived and did fine. The PSU remains an Antec SU-380 full of OST. I regret not putting it on the Load Tester and Scope.

Could Lousy Crummy OST have gotten their act together around 2006 or so?

It appears so from this sample and others.

Have Fun,
                                Keri (ducks)
                                The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I have noticed this too.

My old ECS RS482-M754 has all OST caps everywhere and it still runs like a top and has no bulging caps. I bought it late 2007, it was one of newegg's "cpu/mobo deals," meaning it is a old new stock motherboard with a old new stock cpu that they still have on the back shelf they don't need anymore.

Comment

I'm gonna Razz you first....
                                    Have you two lost your minds?
                                    -
                                    Bad brands of caps are not GUARANTEED to fail every time.
                                    They are PRONE to failure and have high failure rates.
                                    -
                                    If ALL of them failed then the companies wouldn't be around to keep us in business anymore.
                                    Maybe not. .. They still make Fuhyyju don't they?
                                    Some times Fuhyyju last for years too.
                                    I have some in a 7+ year old PSU that are still fine.
                                    - Shall we tag Fuhjyyu as good caps too because of it?
                                    Razz complete.
                                    Could they have gotten better. Yeah, any of them -could-.
                                    My thinking is similar about Teapo after 2005-2006 but I haven't found any counter examples with Teapo.
                                    - OST is easy to find counter examples for.
                                    -
                                    Bad OST on AsRock P4VM890 [Newer chipset than your ECS P4M800.]
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6963
                                    -
                                    Bloated OST on Gigabyte 8S661FXMP-RZ [SiS 661FX, skt 478 w/800 FSB]
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6747
                                    -
                                    Bad OST on nForce3-A - uses nForce3-250 chipset w/800 FSB
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6814
                                    -
                                    That's without looking too hard.
                                    I'd have to say NOPE, OST isn't any better at least at the 800 FSB point.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

nope!
                                      2 msi a64boards and 1 ecs.this week.
                                      08 datecodes.
                                      both msi were in evilmachines and had the same video issue.along with bsod.
                                      ost is still in the junk list.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                        Could they have gotten better. Yeah, any of them -could-.
                                        My thinking is similar about Teapo after 2005-2006 but I haven't found any counter examples with Teapo.
                                        I would have said no to them also, I've got a MSI 945GZM3 with bulging Teapo SM 1000uF 6.3V, dated 12/05, around the memory slots. The 680uF 4V OST RLAs, dated 0618, on the board used with a 800 MHz CPU measures fine in circuit, but will replace them also when I get around to recap the board.
                                        ------------
                                        Be a mensch

Comment

Noted!
                                          >> Teapo SM 1000uF 6.3V, dated 12/05 <<
                                          THANK YOU!
                                          -
                                          Teapo don't seem to get used that much on motherboards anymore and since having them at all is less common, reports of failures is less common.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X