Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olevia 242TFHD-T11 42" TV Start Up Problem

Hi All,

I have an Olevia 242TFHD-T11 42" TV. The remote won't turn on the TV. Then when you manually turn it on, it powers up, but has no sound and no remote function. Repeat the manual shut off and power up 2 or 3 more times and then the sound kicks back in but the remote wont work for about 5 minutes until the TV warms up and then everything works fine.
    I thought it was the main board (It already had 2 blown HDMI slots). I replaced with a brand new main board with no resolve. Could it be a weak capacitor in the power supply? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Re: Olevia 242TFHD-T11 42" TV Start Up Problem

Welcome to the forum- It does sound like it may be a cap on the power supply. As some caps warm up they sometimes start to work a bit better.
    We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

Do you have a multimeter and soldering equipment and can you use them.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

After replacing the main board, I've put it all back together. It's working and is the main TV in the house. I bought the TV at Wal-Mart four or five years ago with an extended warranty and because of the blown HTMI slots and the fact that Olevia went out of business, I got the TV for free. So, I didn't mind spending $180 bucks for a brand new Main board. In saying that, a new power supply is an affordable gamble as well. This group won't allow me to access the links for the Caps that you provided in your post. I guess it's because I'm a new member. I'm really searching for a best guess from someone knowledgeable. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I do have a multimeter and soldering equipment but need better solder if I decide to replace just the caps.

Comment

This first link's not working
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachm...1&d=1290283049
          The other link works fine.
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachm...7&d=1280167246

Comment

I just called CCE and they don't have any new power supplies (They bought Olevia's old stock as they went out of business. That's where I purchased the new main board). So I quess I'll repair the one I have. A used one will have the same shotty caps and are probably on there last leg as well.

Comment

Most 242-t11's suffer from bad mosfets on the power supply. That would be the best thing to check first. Search this site for olevia 242 and you will find some results including my own on how to test the FETs in these.

180 is really high for a mainboard, but at least your hdmi ports now work?
              Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16434

and

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15874

Although the model number is a little different on the one i fixed. But post large clear pictures of the power board and we can recommend parts to check.
                Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Thanks Cash, for all the great info. I found a brand new power supply for $49.00 on e-bay, but will check for bad mosfets and caps on the old one. I also just want to practice trouble shooting and repairing these boards. Then I’ll learn something new and have a good spare. Also don't want too much TV down time as it is our main TV. I thought $180 was fairly reasonable for one of only 16 brand spanking new main boards known to exist. Used or repaired main boards are $120 plus shipping.

Best Wishes and Thanks Again,
                  Mike

Comment

I got it working great with a new power supply. Thanks for all the help. When I first installed the power supply, the screen wouldn’t come on. I took it back apart and looked at each wire position on all the harnesses. On this particular power supply, you had to use the new harnesses because the pin sockets are not the same as the original power supply. The blue wire was on the wrong side of the yellow wire on the inverter that's closest to the power supply. I pulled the blue wire out of the pin plug and installed in the correct slot and it worked.

Comment

The caps were pretty swollen on the old power supply.

Comment

I just joined the board because I have the same problem, and it looks like this is a place where you know what you're talking about! My Olevia 242 wouldn't turn on with the remote, but would turn off with it. Then it wouldn't turn on with the front power button on the TV. I turned off the little power switch near where the power cord goes into the TV, turned it back on, and it fired up, but I thought it was on it's way out. I have since bought a new 50" Panasonic Viera to replace the Olevia, but it sure seems like a waste of money to just throw the old tv away. I'd like to repair it, and either use it somewhere else, sell it, or give it to a family member. I'm pretty competent with a soldering iron, and I have a multi meter. Can anyone please tll me where I need to start, and what search criteria I should use if I search ebay for the parts?

Thanks VERY much,
                        Jeff

would this be what I may need:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olevia-242-T...ht_2110wt_1413
                        Last edited by blackknife; 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

This sounds like bad caps, but because it was not looked at as soon s it started to fail more components may have been damaged. If you open it up you may see some caps bulged or leaking. If you decide to buy boards off ebay you should make sure they have exactly the same part number including the revision- you may still have a problem with leads as per the earlier posts. Some sellers allow you to return if they dont work.
                          For components its is best to buy from digikey. Capacitors - panasonic FR FM or FC.
                          Welcome to the forum-
                          We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

As a start just post a picture of the power supply board - front & back
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

ok, thanks. As soon as I get a chance to pull it apart, I'll take some pics

Comment

I am not sure if I have the same exact model. Mine just says 242-t11. Anyways, the past few days when I would turn it on I would have no volume on the main speakers. Power it offand back on fixed it. Today it would not power on at all. I unplugged itand letit sit. When I plugged it back in the blue standby light would come on for a moment then go off. No power or audio. I took the back off and found two caps that was bulging a little and may have leaked. Reading through these posts I am pretty sure this is what is wrong, but I really don't know all too much about fixing these sort of things. I hope the pics help.
                              Attached Files

Comment

replace those two bad caps more likely they will be the problem.just remember when putting them in there is a neg and positive side.the side with the stripe is neg.

Comment

Originally posted by ricosavy View Post
                                  replace those two bad caps more likely they will be the problem.just remember when putting them in there is a neg and positive side.the side with the stripe is neg.
                                  I have the same TV, I recapped my PSU as well.

You'll want to recap the whole thing, instead of replacing those two. It will save you time later on when it goes out again and you have to replace a few more.

You'll want to go with Panasonic FC, FM, FR caps.

The top heat plates come off with screws and desoldering was pretty easy, but also be warn too much contact time can damage the copper track. I had it happen to me when putting new caps in and had to bridge it to a near by transistor.

I don't remember what the values are on the capxon or what series, if you list them here, I can look them up and give a parts list. Also include the small ones too the 2.2uf-47uf caps.
                                  Last edited by Mad_Professor; 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks much for the help! How do I find the values of them? Are they the numbers on the side? I took a couple pics if that helps identify them. Also, what stores would carry these or should I just order them online and wait? I have the tv laid down flat, some people are saying thats ok, others say it is going to ruin it....
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by broacke View Post
                                      Thanks much for the help! How do I find the values of them? Are they the numbers on the side? I took a couple pics if that helps identify them. Also, what stores would carry these or should I just order them online and wait? I have the tv laid down flat, some people are saying thats ok, others say it is going to ruin it....
                                      Laying down the tv is fine, as long no direct pressure is applied the the LCD itself or if it hanging off a edge of a table that could cause the set to bend.

As for stores and onliner retailers,

Forget radioshack, unless you have a component retailer in your area I would just order online.

There's DigiKey and Mouser

http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.mouser.com/

I recommend digikey. They pretty much have everything, they have a simple layout and offer links to datasheets and design diagrams and the only one I know that offer First Class Mail which is usually about $2.45 to ship to Orlando, not too mention it cheaper then Priority and other carriers. They ship from Thief River Falls, Minnesota.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en

As for identification of caps, a good example of listing is
                                      Brand, Series, Capacitance, Voltage, Diameter, Height, Lead spacing.
                                      You can use a caliper to measure the diameter and height and lead spacing.

For example

Capxon KF 1000uf 25v 13x25mm 5mm

Usually the series is located near the temperature rating.

HTH look forward to assisting you.
                                      Last edited by Mad_Professor; 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Everything mad professor said is right on.

If you have the whole tv completely on top of a flat table with a towel / or blanket inbetween so you dont scratch the plastic around the screen, then you wont have any issues from leaving it down for a month.

Youll want to buy low esr caps, and replacing them all should fix your issue. Every brand makes many types of caps, so make sure you are looking at specific series that are recommended on this site.

Generally panasonic FM series is a great choice for these. From the pictures you can see some 1000uf 25v caps, some 470uf, and so on. When searching for caps you want to first choose aluminum caps > radial caps> the voltage (25-35v) > the capacitance (470uf, 1000uf, so on) > the lead spacing > choose the right low esr series / brand you want, and make sure its not to large to fix within the tv (not usually an issue on these huge olevia tv's) . You can always increase the voltage on caps, so if they used a 25v you can use a 35v cap, since thats the max voltage before it will live a shorter life.

Digikey is a little more exsp then mouser, but has a cheaper shipping option. They list a little less data on mouser (no lead spacing) so its harder for begginers to order from. They ship in 1 day to texas and neighboring states, but your between both companies so should get it fast either way.
                                        Last edited by cashkennedy; 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X