• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KSGER Battery BMS charge battery board review

Here is how I test this board as follows

One I installed new 18650 Panasonic battery I have had a couple years
    All batteries had a battery voltage of 3.6-something

Put it on a bench power supply set at one amp worked for about an hour then the balancing board LED started flashing on one battery then on another battery then back off the amperage down to .75 amps then about half hour the same two balancing LED light started flashing again back off the amperage again down to .5 amps 15 minuets later had to back it off again to .3 amps then a couple more came on then one side changed faster than the other side

Because one side of the charges faster than the other side does the charger turned off and charging on both sides stopped

When I put a MR16 light bulb and brought the battery voltage below 4.0 volts the charger started charging again until the battery voltage came back up to 4.0 volts again I had to do this several times before the other side was basically at the same voltage

Then I put the charger rate at .030 amps until all balancing LED lights were all ON and the charger had changed all batteries to 4.0

The next test I going to do is to put a load on this BMS board until the board shuts down the power output then check each battery voltage to see how well it works

To set this board up to work took some work there NO data sheet for this board that I could find

There are three jumper pad under the battery stack that you have to jump together

There is a positive power rail that has to be jumped

There is a two jumpers for two sets of three batteries for each side

There is a jumper to turn on the charging /discharging circuit to turn it ON
    Attached Files
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: KSGER Battery BMS charge battery board review

One note about when all battery voltages gets 4 volts to completely change each battery to the same exact value I set bench power supply to .003 amps and leave for a long time before all the balancing LEDs turn off and the charger finally finished charging

I realize that I should have have changed each battery first and load test each one for milliamperes hour rate results

But the reason I did not I want to see if BMS Balanced Board could handle this type condition results are the following

On a scale one being ( does not work at all ) and ( ten could handle any condition you could give it ) I give it less than a <— 5

I would have given it a higher rating If I did not have to balance it my self to keep it charging that took few points from it

But in all fairness I will do several changes / discharging cycles and see if the results are better
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I could only find more info in chinese and run webpage through google translate for some of it. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=559209639154

It's supposed to be a high performance battery management chip BM3451. R41 sets current limit at 10A.

"The principle is that the first fully charged battery will discharge through a circuit (the indicator light will be on during equalization discharge), so that the circuit will not be over-voltage protected, and other unfilled batteries can continue. Charge until all is fully charged."

"Note: The 6 indicators on the equalization board are equalization discharge indicators. Only when the battery reaches 4.18V, the equalization discharge may be started. When the battery is discharged to 4.15V, the discharge lamp will be stopped. The lamp will also turn off when the voltage is greater than 4.2V or 4.25V, and the charging switch will be automatically turned off. In the critical state, there will be flashing lights. This is normal. Generally, 6 lights in the full charge will be completely extinguished. However, sometimes due to the imbalance of the battery, it takes a long time to fully charge. Generally, the battery is only required. The group voltage is above 24.6V, which can be considered to be full and the battery is basically balanced. It is normal to have a voltage difference between zero and a few V between the batteries. In short, the specific working mode of the chipset is a bit complicated. If you want to know, you can look at the chip manual of the chip BM3451."
      Attached Files

Comment

I see what you mean about this IC chip it is very complicated in what it does I have not read the hole manual yet but I will when I have some more time
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have had the load about 1.0 amp load it has on for about 4 hours and still going

CGR18650CG Panasonic Batteries

So will have to wait until the BMS Balanced Board shutdowns the battery voltage
          to see how well it works
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-15-2019, 06:32 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

UpDate

It charged a lot better this time I did not have to help with a MR16 light bulb this time and the voltages are lot closer together

The cut off voltage is 3.something volts but the battery voltages were all over the place not even close to each other———>

But I had to do something that should ONLY done with caution

( this is a disclaimer warning )

I used the MR16 light bulb on each cell unit each cell voltage with a load was about 1 volt and with no load about 2.something volts then very slowly charging at 100 milliamperes until the voltage on the hole battery pack was at 20 volts then went to 750 milliamperes until it was full charged

This is because some BMS Balanced Board are a pain in the ass to get all the batteries to become fully charged and sometimes it does not matter if the voltage values are not that close it just works when you remove power and reconnect the power and you should not see any current flow then you know that the battery is fully charged

I have done this few times before with very good results but should only be done a few times and then leave it a lone

Now my problem is finding a 150mm case to hold the battery pack and the soldering controller and the power supply jack in one case I found one but now I have to wait until the seller has a sale tomorrow
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-16-2019, 08:13 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

The BMS IC datasheet says it needs many charge/discharge cycles to fully equalize a pack that is poorly balanced. High value balancing resistors like 510R on the KSGER battery board are 7.3mA delta per cell, around 3%.

Which enclosure are you looking for. The usual 88mm wide aluminum extrusion houses these T12 stations. It's not expensive if you don't mind cutting the holes. But the T12 version with holes punched is triple the price.

Comment

It the length of the case is the problem the 130mm is not long enough
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

A T12 soldering station large enclosure is 130mm L x88 W x38 H for the 24V mains PSU and controller.

The 88mm aluminum extrusion is common in china and you can get longer clamshell pieces or custom cut to any length you like, and you keep your end plates.
                  But china seems to have stopped dumping aluminum products and the trade tariffs have driven up prices, shipping expensive- so no longer a deal.
                  I would ask vendors to price two long pieces.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just bought two of them that 150mm long and will probably get them in about two to three weeks I also bought 2 more of these KSGER BMS Balanced Board and a soldering iron holder

I also bought another KSGER soldering iron controller from EBay however this unit came DOA will not power ON I have a case pending with EBay about this problem if the seller does not work with me on this problem it then I will ask EBay to step in

I got some T12 tips in that I bought from AliExpress and there behavior is a little odd

When you first power up the new soldering iron tip it shows the temperature / error then once it gets to 300c the error message stops flashing

Then if you power it down and let it cool down and then turn it back ON it does not flash the error message anymore but the temperature is all over the place at least 50c up and down but after a few minutes it comes to a more consented temperature

Then if power it down again and wait until it cools down again and power it ON and then the temperature is very consistent after that

What up with this
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

clean the contacts or shove each tip in and out a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        clean the contacts or shove each tip in and out a few times.
                        I have done this and it does not make a difference
                        I have taken apart the handle and adjust the spring contacts to make them more flush to the contacts it does not make a difference

After you get it to reach 300*c the first time and the error message stops flashing and after power it ON and OFF a few times then everything works the way it should even the feedback to the seller there few of them that have said the same exact problem

It is just weird results
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

It sounds like a bad connection inside the tip/heater that goes away once it is hot. Like a dud (contaminated) spotweld/crimp inside.

T12 "ERROR" is when the thermocouple amp sees a fake silly high temperature. The stupid controller design is missing a 1MEG pullup, so noise can make the readings go all over the place with ERROR flashing at random if the tip/heater goes open circuit.

A dirty connection can give an intermittent extra thermocouple junction - say +4mV there could peg the temperature over 450C.

Comment

So if I understand this right

Then this nock off from a nock off another words crappy made shit about $2.00 for one soldering tip what can you expect
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

What store did you buy the duds from?
                              T12 clone tips are more than $2 from Quicko or KSGER store.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                It sounds like a bad connection inside the tip/heater that goes away once it is hot. Like a dud (contaminated) spotweld/crimp inside..
                                unlikely, the heater and thermocouple are in series - the connection is welded.

Comment

OP gets bad thermocouple readings yet can drive power through the T12 heater, and the two are in series.
                                  What kind of connection is an open but not an open? This is what makes it confusing.

A thin layer of oxide and crud can rectify (i.e. audio connections that sound distorted) at low currents but higher currents seem to punch through. I see connections that are bad at low currents and voltages, but work fine at high current.
                                  I think this is what he is seeing. Or he has the tip with extra thermocouple inside (four wires pic, might be JBC) instead of the one spot weld forming the thermocouple junction at the tip.
                                  The T12 tip collars seem to be different quality, the crimps seem to be another place for bad connections.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by redwire; 06-20-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I would like to point out that I knew that they were nock offs and I get $2.00 worth of use out of them I will be happy I want to try out different styles of tips and see which tip I want really spend the money on
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                      OP gets bad thermocouple readings yet can drive power through the T12 heater, and the two are in series.
                                      What kind of connection is an open but not an open? This is what makes it confusing.
                                      Yeah I am little confused by this myself that once you heat them up to 300c they work fine I was and still a little confused by this
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

maybe the heater/sensor are fine.
                                        maybe there is a leak to ground that is enough to suppress a handfull of mV but not the 24v drive.
                                        these tips should not read anything between ground and the active contacts.

Comment

Working...
                                        X