Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-16JB1 no VCC_GT voltage

Hello,

I have a MSI MS-16JB1 board that has all the power sequence except VCC_GT. Impedance on VCC_GT it's 1.7 Ohm, i have PWM from the ISL going to the smart FET's that control VCC_GT, FCCM_B it's kept low as opposed to the FCCM_A for the VCC_core smart FET's that it's high. NO shorts and no other anomalies except no BL_ON because no EDP_BKLTEN that comes from PCH and goes to an AND gate ( NC7S08 ). The AND gate receives the other signals. This EDP_BKLTEN could be because no VCC_GT i presume, but no VCC_GT because of EDP_BKLTEN, i doubt. Also no display on HDMI or laptop screen. I also checkd with a flashlight if there is something displayed but nothing. Discrete Nvidia GPU has power 0.8v and all the rest of the peripherals. If i plug a usb keyboard no CapsLock or NumLock lights but 5V present at USB ports.

The board starts and stays on, fan spin after 10 seconds when the CPU gets warm. BIOS reprogrammed and looks fine.

I do not have a schematic for this one and i am using as a reference the MS-16J51 one.

If anybody has some ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: MSI MS-16JB1 no VCC_GT voltage

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70908

can help you that
    Last edited by peste; 05-19-2019, 05:37 AM.
    Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Hey, thanks. I remember i did a search but nothing on ms-16. Thank you very much. I will study that thread

Comment

Board not POSTing apparently. What's the exact voltage you get on CPU VCore? Check PLTRST# if you can find it.
        Make sure you use known good and compatible RAM.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hi, Vcore 1.07. I am not in the lab now, but that's what i remember. I did not checked plt_rst as long as i have nvidia power, but will check it. I know were it is. Also same feeling here, bad ram. Will take a look again at bios and check the existence of the boot block.

Thank you

Comment

Back to this board. I wanted to forget it, but i can't . Rechecked all voltages and signals. all it's there apparently, but one thing caught my attention. Pin 1 on BIOS chip ( CS, chip select ) instead of going low as stated in the datasheet it stays high. CS should be driven low by the EC chip on pin 128. I replaced the EC chip from a similar board and no change, still stays high. Any suggestions here? Indeed not posting....
            Thanks.

Comment

CS# will go low only when the BIOS chip is being read. Checking this signal with the oscilloscope is a good way to know if the BIOS is being read. If you have a fast multimeter, you may see it flicker lower than 3.3V when turning on.
              CS# should be driven by the PCH, as it becomes the master of the SPI bus when it's turning on.
              EC may be the master of the same SPI bus if its firmware is inside the BIOS chip, so it has to read it while initiating the power sequence, but once it has finished its job (after getting in an S0 state for example) it should not be driving CS# anymore.
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

@piernov sorry for the delay in replying. ok, that makes sense. For the moment i am setting this board aside. Can't find the culprit. If i ever get to the bottom of this will post here my findings. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X