No announcement yet.

Does flux expire ?? Flux discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does flux expire ?? Flux discussion.

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
    So Iso alcohol we all know and love doesn't cut it ?
    no, not once it's been heated.
    and it's probably too thick to use on bga - but you may want to try anyway.

Comment

To me, and this is just my own personal opinion, a good way to gauge the quality of flux is to see how long it remains liquid under the hot air nozzle. As I explained in my original post, I always find the flux burning out before my part is properly soldered and it gets stuck because it's got nothing left to flow in.
      Wattevah...

Comment

so put some of the polish one on a metal plate and heat it - use an upside-down drink tin or something.

Comment

I'll probably use the lid of the tin itself - remember, the label is on the bottom of the tin

Well, I was eager to do this right now as we speak, but there's one small problem: this joint hasn't got a hot air station around
          Wattevah...

Comment

your fucking joking right??

an 858D costs around €30 and your "professional" shop does not even have that??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              your fucking joking right??

an 858D costs around €30 and your "professional" shop does not even have that??
              IKR ? I really shouldn't, but here goes another rant about this place....since some of you may know that I've done it in the past in some of my other posts....

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit - there ARE some hot air stations in the house BUT there's only a few (i.e. not every tech has one on their desk like it should be!) and they're not terrific - they're old Gordaks which are pump-driven and (to me !) don't have any air flow whatsoever - a disappointing and overall frustrating experience, since even my mediocre fan-driven Baku station back at my old shop was....decent, so it was only natural to expect something WAY superior when stepping over to a bigger company...nope. My wildest fantasies were picturing vacuum-seal doors like in the movies, people walking around in white lab coats, nitrile gloves, blinding bright lights everywhere, scopes, microscopes and laboratory-grade supplies on every bench, walls upon walls of perfectly organized parts of every kind, down to the smallest of screws and resistors...yeah >_>

The sad part is that on the outside, the company certainly looks like it could be like that and it has HUGE potential but it's hampered by one small factor: the people ! If the people are a bunch of laid-back good for nothing undisciplined slackers who only skate by doing the bare minimum thing day in-day out, it's going to show in their work, their mentalities, their personal space, everything ! I'd show you some pics of this place, but I don't want anybody catching on somehow, though I'm pretty sure that would violate my rights to cyber-privacy or whatever's called !

I swear, I've yet to meet someone who thinks the same as me that a shop, let alone what is technically the largest around here from what I know, should be a model of perfection in every respect ! I'm fed up with clutter and useless junk everywhere (hoarding IS considered to be a form of mental disorder after all !), fed up with not having the right tools and parts when needed, fed up with getting cold stares, or worse, downright scolded for trying to do the right things like put some order in some of this junk and strive for stuff like better lights and monitors so we don't destroy our eyes day in and day out, better chairs so we don't kill our backs, better tools so we don't have to worry about not having enough battery left to install an OS, better supplies so we don't wipe screens with rags and plain water but sadly until maybe I find an "ally", I'm on my own with no option but to either quit or carry on....f**k ! >____>

The latest kicker in this regard was when some of the boys were trying to install an OS on a laptop and were praying the battery wouldn't die on them because there's not a single good quality universal laptop power brick in this joint ! I couldn't believe my ears :| The only ones at fault here are the techs themselves for not putting their foot down and who simply carry on the "good enough" way....HATE that mentality ! The boss can only thank them for being so "budget friendly" and non-demanding - every boss's dream

Ok, rant over. Back to our flux here - sorry, I lose track and I could probably fill volumes....if I ever quit, I'll send a letter to my boss just like this
              Wattevah...

Comment

So now I have three bits of organic-compound flux...

one is as above, orange sherbet (estimate 35 grams) (sort of smells like rosin)
                another looks like brown sugar paste, but seems like it has fats in it (estimate 10 grams) (kind of smells like rosin)
                third looks like dried but not crystallized coffee (estimate 10 grams) (nasty smelling)

The fourth tub I have is clearly inorganic acid flux and is white ZnCl for pipes. Doesn't have any strong odor though it does have a glycerin like carrier so that it's a paste instead of solid.

I need to get some honey flux to try out... and whether or not I can use up all this flux.
                Last edited by eccerr0r; 05-24-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

i use the most flux when fixing boards damaged by nicad batteries,
                  i re-tin all the tracks and chip pins.

Comment

IKR ? I really shouldn't, but here goes another rant about this place....since some of you may know that I've done it in the past in some of my other posts....

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit - there ARE some hot air stations in the house BUT there's only a few (i.e. not every tech has one on their desk like it should be!) and they're not terrific - they're old Gordaks which are pump-driven and (to me !) don't have any air flow whatsoever - a disappointing and overall frustrating experience, since even my mediocre fan-driven Baku station back at my old shop was....decent, so it was only natural to expect something WAY superior when stepping over to a bigger company...nope. My wildest fantasies were picturing vacuum-seal doors like in the movies, people walking around in white lab coats, nitrile gloves, blinding bright lights everywhere, scopes, microscopes and laboratory-grade supplies on every bench, walls upon walls of perfectly organized parts of every kind, down to the smallest of screws and resistors...yeah >_>

The sad part is that on the outside, the company certainly looks like it could be like that and it has HUGE potential but it's hampered by one small factor: the people ! If the people are a bunch of laid-back good for nothing undisciplined slackers who only skate by doing the bare minimum thing day in-day out, it's going to show in their work, their mentalities, their personal space, everything ! I'd show you some pics of this place, but I don't want anybody catching on somehow, though I'm pretty sure that would violate my rights to cyber-privacy or whatever's called !

I swear, I've yet to meet someone who thinks the same as me that a shop, let alone what is technically the largest around here from what I know, should be a model of perfection in every respect ! I'm fed up with clutter and useless junk everywhere (hoarding IS considered to be a form of mental disorder after all !), fed up with not having the right tools and parts when needed, fed up with getting cold stares, or worse, downright scolded for trying to do the right things like put some order in some of this junk and strive for stuff like better lights and monitors so we don't destroy our eyes day in and day out, better chairs so we don't kill our backs, better tools so we don't have to worry about not having enough battery left to install an OS, better supplies so we don't wipe screens with rags and plain water but sadly until maybe I find an "ally", I'm on my own with no option but to either quit or carry on....f**k ! >____>

The latest kicker in this regard was when some of the boys were trying to install an OS on a laptop and were praying the battery wouldn't die on them because there's not a single good quality universal laptop power brick in this joint ! I couldn't believe my ears :| The only ones at fault here are the techs themselves for not putting their foot down and who simply carry on the "good enough" way....HATE that mentality ! The boss can only thank them for being so "budget friendly" and non-demanding - every boss's dream

Ok, rant over. Back to our flux here - sorry, I lose track and I could probably fill volumes....if I ever quit, I'll send a letter to my boss just like this
                    It never ceases to amaze me at the prevelance of this mentality in technical fields. I once worked at a place that was questioning why they were "paying so much for backups" a few months down the line after I set up FreeNAS backing up to crashplan. :| They looked at me like I had just done cocaine before I walked through the door when I proposed using a proper cloud based BDR setup. lol I'm very lucky now though. The company I work for doesn't really bat an eye at an needed expense. They trust their staff and, when I say "The best scenerio is replication to identical hardware at a datacenter" they say "ok, let's do that." haha Pretty refreshing for me since most places I've worked for full time have that cheap skate mentality.

“Men always seem to think about their
                    past before they die, as though they were
                    frantically searching for proof that they
                    truly lived.”
                    – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

Sometimes you can add a lot of flux and the solder still just won't wet...

... now what.

Comment

If possible, I hit the chip in question with my iron and lead-free solder....if it's a QFN and you can't get under it, that's a whole different story and I get around that by cranking up the temp
                        Wattevah...

Comment

in my case, i lift all the chips and clean it with the fiberglass pencil first.
                          the flux is to protect the copper and keep the solder fresh as i re-tin it all.

Comment

THIS is the flux Mr. G uses for reballing (and just about everything else, including tinning wires)....the state of the container is an accurate representation of this whole place
                            Attached Files
                            Wattevah...

Comment

"known in the state of coliformia to cause cancer"??

the thing that concerns me is kingbo is known to need a fume extractor or it will try to do a "white helmets" job on you!

Comment

ANY form of soldering should be done with a fume extractor as far as I'm concerned ...and it could be implemented relatively easily here given the layout of the room and the workbenches, but if I showed you the state of ANY workbench here, ideas like that would immediately be confined to the "dreams" category...
                                Wattevah...

Comment

THIS is the flux Mr. G uses for reballing (and just about everything else, including tinning wires)....the state of the container is an accurate representation of this whole place
                                  What is the correct way use this flux

Because I just bought some

I use rosin core solder 60/40 for most everything

I have tried the no lead solder before
                                  I have a spool of it and hate it because the soldering joints look like shit and very hard to use and it does not matter what temperature setting I use

I can not remember whether or not it is the the no clean type of solder or not
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-09-2019, 07:24 AM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply
                                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

ANY form of soldering should be done with a fume extractor as far as I'm concerned
                                    What if you're using lard/bacon fat as flux?

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                      What is the correct way use this flux

Because I just bought some

I use rosin core solder 60/40 for most everything

I have tried the no lead solder before
                                      I have a spool of it and hate it because the soldering joints look like shit and very hard to use and it does not matter what temperature setting I use

I can not remember whether or not it is the the no clean type of solder or not
                                      I have some Kingbo flux. I used it before I discovered Amtech 599.
                                      You can use a brush or implement to apply it but I prefer the cleanliness of a syringe and large needle.
                                      Supposed to be no clean but as it's generic tacky flux from who knows where I always clean as best i can using a 50/50 mix of IPA and acetone.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        coliformia
                                        Is that a counterfeit flux?
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                          Is that a counterfeit flux?
                                          Sure is. Mine is about 3 years old and has the same Lot# as half of those sold today. It's like a copy of a copy of a copy. A bit pot luck how good it is, some stays thick longer than others.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X