This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

A buddy of a classmate has a C2D ASUS gaming laptop for $50... either a bad power jack or battery. I'll look into it... You know how I am with cheap fix-it laptops...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Most of them are AMD boards and some P4 423 socket boards. And many midi tower cases! Cpus are mainly Athlon XP 2600+ and Sempron.

Also got some psus for free made in 2000-2003.
      Attached Files

Comment

^That's a lot of motherboards! What do you plan to do with them?

Comment

Some of the ones that work will be installed in the empty midi cases.

The ones that don't work and can't be fixed will be used as a source of Japanese caps

Comment

My Dumpter find is A Vizio 42 Lcd and 10bucks repair see pics Stand Progect top tv
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              A buddy of a classmate has a C2D ASUS gaming laptop for $50... either a bad power jack or battery. I'll look into it... You know how I am with cheap fix-it laptops...
              Found out more, its probably a bad power brick. Has nvidia geforce 9300gs graphics too.

Scored A tom tom one for $10... And a HP power brick for $1
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                Most of them are AMD boards and some P4 423 socket boards. And many midi tower cases! Cpus are mainly Athlon XP 2600+ and Sempron.

Also got some psus for free made in 2000-2003.
                Nice score! The Athlon XP 2500's and higher are still good workhorses for general computing. I recently upgraded one of my AMD computers from a 1.4 GHz Duron to a 1.8 GHz XP 2500+ - what a difference!

Last I checked, those socket 745 motherboards are still worth some money on eBay.

The latest dumpster find for me was another APC UPS unit - this one is an APC 650 Back-Up Pro. Had bad/leaking batteries, which I didn't take with me. Also missing its case cover. Not sure if it works or not. I probably won't use it for much other than as an exentsion cord / surge protector. Or maybe it might come handy as a car battery charger (this unit uses those larger lead-acid batteries and has a very big transformer). What do you all think?

Comment

I would keep it. APC ups are the best and definitely worth repairing/keeping.

Comment

hy
                    i find this thread to help me a lot in the future.
                    i find a lot of stuffs or my friends find them.
                    last night my friend gave me a samsung tv and it say it does not power on.
                    Cool! i said to him i`m a beginner so this will be a good start to learn "How to"

So i took it apart (did not realise he was a noob)

i was searching for a voltage somewhere; NOTHING even the big cap had 1V
                    even the caps looks ok.
                    after 30 min i said to my self i`ll take a pic and start a thread how find a problem on TV section.
                    then i realise what my "teacher said" ... start from the plug .
                    Dammm the AC coard was BAD HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
                    so got my self a 19" samsung tv FREE

i need to start to fix some Sony console`s and it will be good for testing .
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dj_ricoh; 02-15-2014, 03:52 AM.
                    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

From dumpster itself I found a Raidmax Smilodon case with an Asus P5N32E-SLI board, Core 2 Quad Q6600, stock Intel cooler and a dead IDE DVD drive.

I still use that to this day as my main desktop with the exception that it's in an Antec P180 case and an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro heatsink\fan with the other parts needed to make it complete.

More recently I saved a Dell XPS 720 and a XPS 600 from being ewasted.

XPS 720 has a Q6600, GeForce GTS240 1 gig and no ram or hard drive.

XPS 600 has a Pentium D 830, GeForce 8800 GT 512 meg and no ram or hard drive as well.

Not computer related I got my Kenwood KR-4070 from beside a garbage can on trash day. Still using it on my desktop for headphones and occasionally speakers without any issues.

Comment

Who the heck throws away a computer with a Q6600 or an 8800GT on it? They're still worth some money here in my part of the world. :P
                        CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                        GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          That's a pretty fine score there! And it's a 16:10 monitor, not that 16:9 crap.

I was talking with a classmate of mine last week. We were just discussing computers and what not and then he said something like, "oh yeah, my laptop is ancient too now... it's got a C2D in it". Me: . Of course, I had to shut him up... told him I still have and use a Pentium 3 laptop as my school laptop (which is actually true). His reaction:

Riiiiiight
                          Man, you acting as if this was some 1984 Big Brother coutry... I mean, it is... but not THAT bad! If it was, I'd be out of here fast! No, really.

Yeah, it's going to take me some time to type that. I wish I could explain things with just a few sentences. But I always end up writing a book .

Seriously with all the IVY and SANDY BRIDGES and Haswells we have right now, I'm still finding that C2D are still very useful for everyday computing. Tell your classmate that an example of an ancient computer is the ENIAC. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC
                          CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                          GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

I heard "Because it's old" is the reason it's being thrown out.

Maybe compared to a Core i7 it's old but I still know people using Pentium Ds or even Pentium 4s on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                              I heard "Because it's old" is the reason it's being thrown out.
                              Ugh, tell me about it. People get "worstbuy syndrome" and fail to realize their older stuff, in most cases, is better, sadly...

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                              Maybe compared to a Core i7 it's old but I still know people using Pentium Ds or even Pentium 4s on a daily basis.
                              See this thread:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26412

For Pres-hotts/netburst, I can almost understand. Not much work per clock cycle or watt of dissipation. But they do at least function.

When windoze 12 comes out, you'll need 16 i7s in SMP, just to play solitaire.
                              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                              Originally posted by shango066
                              All style and no substance.
                              Originally posted by smashstuff30
                              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I found a fully working G5 dual processor server tower, with 8gb of ddr2. Now there is not a ton of things left to do with a machine like this since the powerpc processors are virtually unusable, but debian linux makes a nice linux distro for powerpc procs. Still don't know what I'm going to use it for yet tho. Love the solid aluminum case. Asside of gutting the machine and using the case as a mod project, anyone got any ideas?

Comment

Got a free Netgear R6300 Wireless AC Router today. It was simply missing the power supply it wanted 12V 5A but I had a 12V 4.16A that's working fine.

It didn't make my internet faster but the web interface is certainly much better than that of my old WNDR3700 and I hope the range of this one will be better. My neighbor all the way across the apartment complex has an ASUS AC router and I used to get better signal from that than my own router in my same room.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                    Got a free Netgear R6300 Wireless AC Router today. It was simply missing the power supply it wanted 12V 5A but I had a 12V 4.16A that's working fine.

It didn't make my internet faster but the web interface is certainly much better than that of my old WNDR3700 and I hope the range of this one will be better. My neighbor all the way across the apartment complex has an ASUS AC router and I used to get better signal from that than my own router in my same room.
                                    12V 5A p/s??? are you kidding me? what is the power consumption of this thing?

Comment

i hope thats .5a.
                                      5a is more than most laptops.
                                      Originally posted by domas View Post
                                      12V 5A p/s??? are you kidding me? what is the power consumption of this thing?

Comment

well thats what i thought, actually compared to laptops as well.

Comment

I have a few 12V supplies in the 3A-5A range... It could happen.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X