Aishi capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aishi capacitors

^ I know. We had a couple of those a while back and they all failed.
    When the last one died (flickering and went out), I took it apart out of curiousity. One of the tiny 0.25W resistors was open. Replaced all of them, replaced the jumperwire labeled as F1 with a fuse and replaced the aishi capacitor (400V 2.2uF IIRC).
    Worked well enough as a nightlight in the hallway, as it was already somewhat dim.
    Now, half a year later, it's useless even as a nightlight. My LED flashlight with almost dead batteries is brighter..

Comment

I was under the impression that most of those bulbs didn't even use a SMPS, just a large X-cap in series. This (fake uncertified) X-cap likes to catch fire so I consider the cheap LED bulbs as worthless crap. Also, the efficiency of 5mm LEDs is about the same as CFLs - probably worse. It's only when you get to high power LEDs that efficiency becomes really good.

Here's a schematic of a very cheap LED driver, but it works surprisingly well. It's efficient (83%), it's current regulated, doesn't use electrolytic caps and won't get hot pumping 4W into LEDs... hottest part is the FET at 180mW. And it reaches full brightness in ~3.5 milliseconds. It is a modification of the cheap two transistor circuit, but made more reliable by avoiding several electrolytics and modified so that the current through the LED is limited and proportional to the current supply voltage.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tom66; 06-14-2012, 09:25 AM.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        I was under the impression that most of those bulbs didn't even use a SMPS, just a large X-cap in series. This (fake uncertified) X-cap likes to catch fire so I consider the cheap LED bulbs as worthless crap. Also, the efficiency of 5mm LEDs is about the same as CFLs - probably worse. It's only when you get to high power LEDs that efficiency becomes really good.

Here's a schematic of a very cheap LED driver, but it works surprisingly well. It's efficient (83%), it's current regulated, doesn't use electrolytic caps and won't get hot pumping 4W into LEDs... hottest part is the FET at 180mW. And it reaches full brightness in ~3.5 milliseconds. It is a modification of the cheap two transistor circuit, but made more reliable by avoiding several electrolytics and modified so that the current through the LED is limited and proportional to the current supply voltage.
        Awesome! did you just randomly come up with this? I have been waiting for a way to power 3-5W leds in a small space such as a cfl base.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
          Awesome! did you just randomly come up with this? I have been waiting for a way to power 3-5W leds in a small space such as a cfl base.
          Yeah, I think it's unique to me. I've just cut the feedback from the two-transistor circuit (ringing choke converter) and adjusted the components for maximum efficiency and current regulation instead of voltage regulation. The clincher was realising that the current through the LED didn't need to be constant. After all, we don't notice the flicker from incandescents. So you can get away with basically no filter cap, and that's the number one failure. There's also no need to isolate the LEDs so you can get rid of y-caps and optos, the overvoltage protection is simply the resistor tied from the secondary thru the current limit transistor. It would cost less than $1 to produce in volume.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Anybody knows what CD81 series actually is? Seems like half of the AiSHi(t) caps are made by somebody else, maybe even different manufacturers. It has similar markings to Jianghai which uses this strange CDxx which than translates to line name according to series table. Both are incredible crap with even small caps failing like hell.

This site http://myxr.e.tradeee.com/product_vi...apacitors.html says it is low leakage current, which may mean anything. Judging from ESR of the less bad ones, I'd say it is some general purpose type, even than they have 10 such types and say each one is different…
            Last edited by Behemot; 02-22-2015, 02:38 PM.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Yeah I've noticed Aishi caps sometimes have legitimate series markings on them, and sometimes the generic CDXXX "series" markings. I've also had worse luck with their small caps. I recently had some fail in a Huntkey unit, however, it was a semi fanless unit with PPFC coil blocking a lot of airflow (When the fan was running) I'm not sure if they're having their caps rebranded, but I didn't think they were as bad as say, CapXon
              Last edited by c_hegge; 02-23-2015, 11:43 PM. Reason: minor typo

Comment

Some of the CD11xx names are actually series markings, but I have not found the CD81. Anyway, I've repalced them with Chemi-Cons KZG and Nichicons VZ and the peltier wine-refridgerator seems to be operating normally. It is two-zone fridge with two cooling boards, the lower one (cooling bigger copartment) was used more so it started messing sooner than the other one.

Will just also swap the input caps, 2 in series, they all have the same capacitance but very high difference in ESR.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I see them on alot of vestel tv power boards and have never seen a failed one yet and they all check good, but I replace them any way. Aishi hmm........
                  Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I've just replaced an Aishi CD288Z 105°C (470uF/10v) because it drawed down a 1.5v supply.

It's in a DSL router (Sagem 1201), and this cap was inserted in the filtering part of 1.5v supply voltage for the main processor.
                    A chain reaction on the 3.3v and 5v had the Power Supply Supervisor chip to reset main processor. So DSL router lost frequently ADSL carrier.

diagnostic was the following:
                    - AISHI cap was bulged
                    - capacity of 297 uF instead of 470
                    - measured leakage current at a 10v test was over 19mA !!

Replaced it by a 'spare' one : leakage of only 1.6 uA at same test voltage of 10v.

This router is working fine now, even if a second Aishi is filtering the 5v main supply... But let it a chance !
                    Attached Files
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/...s/trashcan.gif http://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/smilies/beehive.gif

Comment

(Yay for old threads)

I'm just starting my journey through a Curtis-brand UK freeview DVR (DVB350UK) that won't power up. You can hear the power circuit trying though!

All caps are Aishi and the first two pulls are CD288Z 1000uF 25V with obvious top bulge.

First cap reads as 108uF with an ESR of 4.7R, second reads open circuit.

For control, a new replacement Panasonic FR reads 1009uF with an ESR of 0.59R

I'm going to replace the caps in the PSU circuit and hope the remainder (about 15 on this board 1 of 2) are under less electrical and thermal stress and so a bit healthier. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                      X