Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changing voltages.

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
    I checked the MSDS for the Un-Du. It seems to contain Naphtha. I believe Naphtha is used in paint thinners. So perhaps they're the same thing? I bet the paint thinner / turpentine / white spirits would be cheaper than this stuff.
    From the MSDS it sounds like it is just Ronsonol (lighter-fluid) repackaged with ridiculous mark-up (looks like Un-Du is $12 for 4oz., 8oz. of Ronsonol is $2-3).

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      I doubt the tiny quantity used would make a difference, if it was being used all day I don't think it would be good for anyone.
      To me, if something dilsolves something or has that smell about it then its probably not a good idea to breathe the fumes in/get on the skin.
      Thank you. At first, I wasn't worried too much about it because of how little we used it here, but then she said she uses it at work all the time now to remove the adhesives off the shelves. I thought maybe it'd be something to check in to. I know I'm probably just overreacting, you know? First time with my wife being pregnant and just being overly cautious about everything!
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        dont forget to clean off the cleaner with IPA before you use the MX4.
        I've been using AS5. Should we switch to Arctic MX-4? This is the second time now I've seen someone reference MX-4.

I didn't clean it off. My wife didn't clean it off either. Should we remove the heatsinks, remove the AS5 with isopropyl and then reapply the AS5 and put the heatsinks back on? Or would we be okay accidently leaving it on? Next time, I'll be sure to remember to remove it with IPA.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
          Better yet use Acetone (the stuff from the hardware store, not nail-polish remover which is diluted and has additives), it won't leave a residue like paint-thinner, Naphtha, kerosene, etc.
          The probably was Isopropyl wasn't removing the pink stuff. I have some Acetone over at my mum's but didn't try it because I've never really noticed a difference between the two. Do you think the Acetone would have worked better than the Isopropyl Alcohol? I've never really had a problem with the Isopropyl though, at least with most of the thermal compound, so I never really had a reason to try something else until today. Thanks.

Comment

From the MSDS it sounds like it is just Ronsonol (lighter-fluid) repackaged with ridiculous mark-up (looks like Un-Du is $12 for 4oz., 8oz. of Ronsonol is $2-3).
            Yeah. If I was reading the datasheet correctly, the only active ingredient in there is Naphtha. So wouldn't it just be Naphtha in a bottle marked Un-Du and instead of 14$ a gallon, it's freaking 10$ for 4 freaking ounces? I told my wife she shouldn't buy it anymore and we should just try the one gallon of Naphtha.

Comment

I've been using AS5. Should we switch to Arctic MX-4? This is the second time now I've seen someone reference MX-4.

I didn't clean it off. My wife didn't clean it off either. Should we remove the heatsinks, remove the AS5 with isopropyl and then reapply the AS5 and put the heatsinks back on? Or would we be okay accidently leaving it on? Next time, I'll be sure to remember to remove it with IPA.
              MX4 is MUCH cheaper than AS5,
              as for your heatsink, if it seems o.k. dont bother this time,
              but stuff like white spirit leave a greasy layer.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                MX4 is MUCH cheaper than AS5,
                as for your heatsink, if it seems o.k. dont bother this time,
                but stuff like white spirit leave a greasy layer.
                When you say cheaper, do you mean price wise, quality wise or both?

Comment

The probably was Isopropyl wasn't removing the pink stuff. I have some Acetone over at my mum's but didn't try it because I've never really noticed a difference between the two. Do you think the Acetone would have worked better than the Isopropyl Alcohol? I've never really had a problem with the Isopropyl though, at least with most of the thermal compound, so I never really had a reason to try something else until today. Thanks.
                  Acetone tends to work a little better than Isopropyl Alcohol in removing thermal compound (both work, but Acetone tends to be a little quicker and require less effort/scrubbing). That being said that "pink stuff" is wax and is generally a pain to remove. Out of curiosity sparked by this thread I found an old gpu cooler with that pink wax and did a little experimenting. I found the following, Isopropyl Alcohol didn't do anything, Acetone took some off but only thin layers (would require several applications), Ronsonol (Naptha) worked pretty well, but had to soak in for a few minutes, the best thing I found was Remington Rem Action Cleaner cleaner this took off the pink wax in a matter of seconds with little to no effort and left no noticeable residue (though I'd still clean it afterward with alcohol or acetone just to be safe). If you know anyone with firearms they may have some of this laying around, if not it is about $9 for a 10.5oz areosol at walmart.
                  Last edited by dmill89; 04-24-2016, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Acetone tends to work a little better than Isopropyl Alcohol in removing thermal compound (both work, but Acetone tends to be a little quicker and require less effort/scrubbing). That being said that "pink stuff" is wax and is generally a pain to remove. Out of curiosity sparked by this thread I found an old gpu cooler with that pink wax and did a little experimenting. I found the following, Isopropyl Alcohol didn't do anything, Acetone took some off but only thin layers (would require several applications), Ronsonol (Naptha) worked pretty well, but had to soak in for a few minutes, the best thing I found was Remington Rem Action Cleaner cleaner this took off the pink wax in a matter of seconds with little to no effort and left no noticeable residue (though I'd still clean it afterward with alcohol or acetone just to be safe). If you know anyone with firearms they may have some of this laying around, if not it is about $9 for a 10.5oz areosol at walmart.
                    Thank you. This Un-Du must be more than just Naphtha. This Un-Du worked much like how you're describing the Remington Rem Action Cleaner. It took a few seconds and just dissolved it with no work involved. We just brushed it over it and it was gone.

For that Remington Rem Action Cleaner, how well does that work in extreme cold conditions, or don't you know? I'm talking -20F or colder. We used to use something called CLP albeit I never had a chance to try it out in the extreme cold. I heard during one of the wars, I think it was the Germans, who taught us we could mix gasoline with certain cleaning solutions for our rifles to prevent them from freezing.

Comment

For that Remington Rem Action Cleaner, how well does that work in extreme cold conditions, or don't you know? I'm talking -20F or colder.
                      Never tried it in extreme cold, so I can't really say. The freezing point is -76F (according to the MSDS) so I imagine it would work a low temperatures but don't have any first hand experience. Ingredients listing on the MSDS is the very board "petroleum distillates" which doesn't give much useful info and CO2 as a propellant.

Comment

Acetone is a big no for me,
                        it will take the colours off resistors, the print off caps etc.

as for MX-4 vs AS5, they perform around the same, but AS is Silver, and AFAIK MX-4 is Carbon.
                        so AS5 costs around 2 times more!
                        (and only comes in tiny tubes - big problem when your doing ps3's)
                        http://www.ebuyer.com/126410-arctic-...-5gram-as5-3-5
                        http://www.ebuyer.com/450905-arctic-...aco-mx40101-bl

btw, if you dont need the very best, MX-2 ceramic is even cheaper.

Comment

that gun cleaner may be something like carb-cleaner.
                          i hope it's not Xylene - nasty shit that is.

Comment

Working...
                          X