This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The ghetto mod thread

Hahaha. Doesn't actually look all that bad, really.

FWIW, I usually cut the fan grilles out of all the Hipro HP-D3057F3H PSUs that come my way to recap.
    Last edited by c_hegge; 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      ... I also added all of the round holes in the case - they are positioned so that cool air blows right where the heat sinks are ...
      The extra holes in the rear are great (specially the ones below PCB level), but I don't think the roof holes are a good idea. They will rob air from the rear holes, as air follows the path of least resistance.

For this reason I always fully seal any floor, sides and roof openings in PC cases, to secure straight bow to stern airflow without interferences.

Comment

Those top holes were right above the secondary heat sink, so they are doing something.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          Hahaha. Doesn't actually look all that bad, really.
          Thanks

Those top holes were right above the secondary heat sink, so they are doing something.
          What he said ^

I got more ghetto mods coming soon

Comment

dam i just found this page i really gotta get some pics of my ghetto mods so be prepared for many pics jaja

Comment

ive got a new ghetto mod i did tonight at around midnight.

I went to check on my fileserver (which is housed in one of those late 90's cases with the drop-out motherboard tray) and i noticed the hard drives were getting pretty hot, all 45-50+ degrees. so me in my infinite wisdom decided that i should cool it down, i pulled the side off and the only place i can put the fan on the side of the case where the hdd screw cutouts are... so i decided to use some sticky tape instead of screws to hold the (sunon 80mm 3.5k rpm) fan to the side of the case. i then jam the wires into a floppy drive connector and tape them down (all while the machine is running) and to my amazement it has actually cooled the temperature of the drives by about 20 degrees (despite near 0 clearences between the drives)... pictures coming soon

Edit: the fan is one of the dual ball bearing ones, has been used around 24/7 for 10 years on an industrial motor of some sort for cooling and still runs fine... i know what fans im buying in the future
              Last edited by luke10050; 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I found an old portable mini TV/radio thing a few days ago. The wall wart (12V 1A linear, yes, it's very old) was dead (electrically OK, but the case had shattered and the prongs were just hanging by wires). I took the Molex end of a Molex->SATA cable I had and the barrel jack end of the wall wart and spliced them together, plugged the Molex connector into one of my computers, and the TV worked.

Comment

So... I was overclocking my old Venice Athlon 64 and hit a roadblock around 220mhz FSB, I tried several things including bumping up the cpu volt just a tad. This caused the machine to go to a black screen and refuse to boot. I finally narrowed the "bottleneck" to being the cheap power supply. With no other power supply's available, I chose the next best thing. Two power supply's in parallel! I know this isn't the best solution in the world, but it actually worked very well! I've since been able to get 290mhz from the FSB (after clocking down the HT link and Ram speed). I am using one power supply for the 24 pin ATX power, and the other PSU (turned on by an old automotive relay connected to the first PSU) powers the CPU 12V and everything else. Ghetto all the way! Also uploaded a pic of my modded XBOX, complete with USB port, and LED's for the HDD, ODD and Network activity
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ELItheICEman View Post
                    So... I was overclocking my old Venice Athlon 64 and hit a roadblock around 220mhz FSB, I tried several things including bumping up the cpu volt just a tad. This caused the machine to go to a black screen and refuse to boot. I finally narrowed the "bottleneck" to being the cheap power supply. With no other power supply's available, I chose the next best thing. Two power supply's in parallel! I know this isn't the best solution in the world, but it actually worked very well! I've since been able to get 290mhz from the FSB (after clocking down the HT link and Ram speed). I am using one power supply for the 24 pin ATX power, and the other PSU (turned on by an old automotive relay connected to the first PSU) powers the CPU 12V and everything else. Ghetto all the way! Also uploaded a pic of my modded XBOX, complete with USB port, and LED's for the HDD, ODD and Network activity
                    You have a Diablotek power supply? I sure hope you didn't actually pay any money for that...

Comment

I decided that the 92mm fans on my TX3 were a little small these days, since every other fan in my computer is 120mm or larger. So, I decided that since i had a 230mm fan on the top of my Antec 1200 case which wasn't actually doing much, why not use it for the CPU? So, here's what I came up with.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 07-27-2013, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I decided that the 92mm fans on my TX3 were a little small these days, since every other fan in my computer is 120mm or larger. So, I decided that since i had a 230mm fan on the top of my Antec 1200 case which wasn't actually doing much, why not use it for the CPU? So, here's what I came up with.
                        Reminds me of a Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                          You have a Diablotek power supply? I sure hope you didn't actually pay any money for that...
                          Part of being ghetto is being broke, I bought one of them and 2 came from friends etc. Besides recapping them recently they've actually served us well over the years, I haven't even had to double up on them until now....

Comment

With no other power supply's available, I chose the next best thing. Two power supply's in parallel!
                            Now that's a nice addition to the thread .

Also uploaded a pic of my modded XBOX, complete with USB port, and LED's for the HDD, ODD and Network activity
                            I don't know about the Xbox, but that Realistic equalizer sure impresses me .

Originally posted by c_hegge
                            Nice mod, but just make sure the CPU heat sink doesn't get too hot! I doubt cardboard is UL 94 -compliant .
                            BTW, I also have a ghetto mod coming, but just gotta type up the post. Be prepared to be blown away....
                            no, literally

Comment

Nice mod, but just make sure the CPU heat sink doesn't get too hot! I doubt cardboard is UL 94 -compliant
                              It doesn't even get warm now. That 230mm fan does much better than the original 92mm fans.

Comment

Re: The ghetto mod thread - Sheetrock Subwoofer

And now ladies and gentlemen, I present you the latest and greatest from the world of Hi-Fi audio

The SHEETROCK ® brand Firecode series of subwoofers .
                                Yes, they are finally here!

(more pictures at the bottom of this post)

Not only do they look ghetto, but they sound ghetto, too. And I really mean ghetto (as if you were actually in the ghetto and someone drives by in their car with one of those loud trunk woofers... or maybe worse ).
                                So how I came up with this mod (or should I call it creation)?

Basically, my dad and I bought 5/8 " (approx. 16 mm) drywall by mistake rather than 1/2 ". Unfortunately, we cut it and put it on the wall before realizing it was the wrong thickness . So, when we took the drywall down, it had holes and cuts in it and some of the pieces couldn't be reused. My dad couldn't think of any other project where he would need it, so I thought I'd save it for a project of my own.

Now as far as the speaker driver - I've had that for a while now. It's a 4", 40W (peak likely?) Samsung driver with dual coils inside, each rated for 6 Ohms. A friend of mine gave it to me along with an amplifier board (turns out, the driver and the amplifier were part of a Dell MMS5650 5.1 surround sound system). I actually wanted to build a subwoofer box for it for over a year now but didn't really have the time until this summer. Moreover, I didn't want to invest much money in the project either - especially in the box. Originally, I was going to build it out of wood (the idea was to just go around the neighborhood on or before trash day and find some suitable thrown out furniture). As it turned out, though, the extra drywall just came at the right time. Since this is something I haven't seen anyone do before, I decided it would be a fun idea to try.

I actually tested this subwoofer using the original amplifier board it came with. (Un)surprisingly, it didn't sound that great . Very low frequencies below approx. 60 Hz get quite attenuated (okay, I know... it's obvious that a 4" driver can't make miracles here!) and the higher frequency bass makes the box resonate at certain notes . Then again, I haven't glued the sides down nor filled the box with soft foam or fiberglass. When I do these things, it will no doubt sound a little better. I already tried stuffing the box with some old rags (), and it tightened the resonances a lot more.

Lastly, the amplifier board didn't go without ghetto mods either. When my friend (or whoever else) took it apart, they ripped about 1/10th of the board off. Nothing major in the amplifier section, but probably enough stuff in the On/OFF logic and active filters section to make it not work (I didn't even attempt to turn it on - it was very obvious that it wouldn't work). So I had to do some data sheet reading to find out how to enable the amp ICs and where their inputs were. After that, I just put a simple RC low-pass filter in front of one of the amp ICs and hooked that to the driver. The amp board itself has 3 amp ICs - two TDA8947J (4-channel SE or 2-channel BTL audio amp) and one TFA9843J (2-channel SE or 1-channel BTL audio amp). I was using one of the TDA8947J's in BTL. Like most amp ICs, it's noisy with high gain. But quite acceptable for this project .
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by momaka; 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Re: The ghetto mod thread - Sheetrock Subwoofer

And now ladies and gentlemen, I present you the latest and greatest from the world of Hi-Fi audio
                                  The SHEETROCK ® brand Firecode series of subwoofers .
                                  Yes, they are finally here!
                                  I thought sheetrock had really good acoustical properties for speaker cabinets, being so dense, beating chipboard and bettered only by concrete.

Comment

HAHAHA! Lol at the Gyprock (or whatever the US calls it)

Comment

HAHAHA! Lol at the Gyprock (or whatever the US calls it)
                                      Sheetrock (brand name), drywall, or gypsum board (and probably 500 more).

Comment

It sounds crap because your box isn't tuned. I see you just left the second hole like that, without putting in a port (tube). What are the (internal) dimensions? I can try and calculate the port length for you.
                                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                          It sounds crap because your box isn't tuned. I see you just left the second hole like that, without putting in a port (tube). What are the (internal) dimensions? I can try and calculate the port length for you.
                                          Yeah, I thought it might be that too. Don't have it with me in my dorm room, though, so I can't get measurements until this weekend. I found this online calculator:
                                          http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com...0lenth%201.htm
                                          Do you think it's okay to use?

Comment

Working...
                                          X